Thread: Purchasing an airgun from Europe/Internationally - RFD required?

Purchasing an airgun from Europe/Internationally - RFD required?

Hello all,

I'm contemplating purchasing a Baikal MP-46M from Ayala Armory. They ship internationally, but I'm not sure if I have to nominate an RFD to receive the gun - or can I have it sent directly to my home address?

Also, does anyone have any recent experience dealing with Ayala? How did things go?

Cheers,

Adam

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    VCR act applies to British retailers, so nope.

However with the post brexit customs mess, good luck. Buying from the continent used to be easy; now, I'd wait a bit for things to "settle"...
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    VCR act applies to British retailers, so nope.

However with the post brexit customs mess, good luck. Buying from the continent used to be easy; now, I'd wait a bit for things to "settle"...
    Thanks for the advice. I'll contact them pre-order to ask what their current policies are.

My mate not long bough from Europe and it took about 4 days to his door,

You may be lucky and not have the border force seize it and class it as something its not.

A few have had airguns seized as RIF .

Quote Originally Posted by bighit View Post
    You may be lucky and not have the border force seize it and class it as something its not.

A few have had airguns seized as RIF .
    I'd hope that a Baikal MP-46M wouldn't raise any eyebrows in that regard!

Great choice... I love mine although I have changed the grips and fitted a MEC trigger shoe....

Quote Originally Posted by A.J.P. View Post
    Hello all,

I'm contemplating purchasing a Baikal MP-46M from Ayala Armory. They ship internationally, but I'm not sure if I have to nominate an RFD to receive the gun - or can I have it sent directly to my home address?

Also, does anyone have any recent experience dealing with Ayala? How did things go?

Cheers,

Adam
    Make sure you dont get stung for customs/tax/import duties.i did recently. Id let the dust settle before buying anything.

Quote Originally Posted by WILBA View Post
    Make sure you dont get stung for customs/tax/import duties.i did recently. Id let the dust settle before buying anything.
    I completely agree with the above, things are very uncertain at the moment with imports from Europe. It seems to be hit and miss as to whether customs and excise get involved. COVID doesn’t help of course either. If you can wait I would leave it at present.

Quote Originally Posted by A.J.P. View Post
    Hello all,

Cheers,

Adam
    Since Brexit you may find them less keen to deal with the tax/paperwork aspect, the VCR act doesn't apply to a dealer outside the UK so door to door is not a problem.

If the cost is less than £135 they collect the vat at point of sale & pay HMRC, if the consignment is over £135 you buy it vat free from them but then HMRC claim the VAT at point of import,
    That is paid by Royal Mail/Parcel Force, because they have the contract, who then bill you including their "admin fee".

how this company is dealing with it .

https://knifejapan.com/importing-knives-into-the-uk/

Its a Japanese's knife seller but it shows their way of working for the taxes side of importing.

Importing knives into the UK from Japan
    VAT, import duty and handling fees

Until January 1st, 2021 all of the information below (under the asterisks) was accurate for all UK-based purchases from Knife Japan. Now it only applies to purchases over £135. Purchases under that figure are treated differently under the new UK VAT regime.

You are probably aware that overseas online sellers shipping items to UK buyers are now required to charge UK VAT at point of sale on orders under £135.

We'll be honest. We're not at all interested in collecting VAT for the UK tax authorities. Especially when it means spending on accounting solutions to facilitate that tax collection, and remittance costs to pay it. We don't even know what happens in the event of currency movements - do we score at your expense if the yen moves our way in the ensuing quarter? Do we pay more if the pound advances?

We have nothing against taxes, but really, we don't want to be made responsible for paying those of your country.

What to do, what to do. The thing is, we don't want to stop offering these great products to customers based in the UK.

It seems there are two options available to us. The first is to request that UK purchases placed with Knife Japan should only be those over the £135 threshold. In that case VAT is paid upon import, and not at point of sale. We're in the clear.

The second option is for you, the UK customer, to provide your VAT number so that we may note on the invoice “reverse charge: customer to account for VAT to HMRC.” More research is needed to ensure this is doable and guess what, no-one is answering the phone.

We'll update this advice if and when we know more. We'll state here that should we receive a purchase order with a UK delivery address for under £135 then we will be in touch and we may issue a full and prompt refund with apologies. Please use the contact form below if you'd like to share your thoughts, offer advice, complain or ask for clarification.

It may also give an idea why some companies wont import to the UK also.