Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boxed Webley Premier E valuation please

Operating without any decent restraint - Nottm

Boxed Webley Premier E valuation please

Friend of mines father has passed away. She found this in a drawer and would like to sell it.
    I'm not interested.
    Its in fairly good nick. There is a small amount of rust pitting on the front of the barrel (I mean small)
    Small amount of blistering on front barrel/cylinder bung... Whatever its called...
    Box is labelled PREMIER .22 About 7/10
    Comes with a small printed bag of .22 CALIBRE NO. 2 Bore pellets
    Printed parts list
    A Webley six yard target
    Trigger adjustment paper
    Box of 25 Webley (1) Air Rifle Targets
    Unopened box of 500 Marksman .22 BORE Pellets

I'll see about putting some pix up

Ta

https://photos.app.goo.gl/reVMAVcUPV5gaUV5A
    Last edited by Neil.; 28-02-2021 at 05:06 PM.
    1st Battalion Humberside Cavalier Rescue Deserters on the cut

I'm not really a fan of the later Premier models, but they are still a lot better than the later Mk2 models. The box and accessories will certainly add to the value, so for a private sale I would estimate £200-£250 would be realistic for somebody looking for one.
    This may seem a bit mean, but as I say I'm not a big fan of Premiers after the D Series.

Good luck with the sale should you decide to take that course of action.
    Brian

Since it is the Suncorite (black epoxy paint) version in the later mk2 box, I reckon it will be hard to value it over 200 pounds. The blued versions in the earlier type box are commanding higher prices. Drawback of this finish is that it is very difficult to touch up when it is damaged.
    Collection: vintage air pistols & air rifles / vintage air gun accessories
    Facebook groups: vintage air guns 1. Webley, 2 BSA, 3. Haenel, 4. Weihrauch, 5. Diana

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    Since it is the Suncorite (black epoxy paint) version in the later mk2 box, I reckon it will be hard to value it over 200 pounds. The blued versions in the earlier type box are commanding higher prices. Drawback of this finish is that it is very difficult to touch up when it is damaged.
    Agree. Maybe prices have risen recently, and I may well be wrong, but I’d have said more like £170.

£200 is a definite psychological price point, and you can get a lot of nice stuff (including other Webley pistols) for that or less

Webley Preimer

£180 me thinks. Mach 1.5

The beauty of Webley Premiers is there are lots of variations to collect - probably more than with any other Webley pistol. This finish is rarely seen and the pictures show a nice complete set. As Dutch says, the finish is hard to touch up but this one appears mostly intact, other than wear around the muzzle, which can be cleaned up. I tend to agree with the £170 - £180 price range but personally think it ought to be worth more.

John M
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22
    Prefer boxed or cased but will consider loose examples too.

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    The beauty of Webley Premiers is there are lots of variations to collect - probably more than with any other Webley pistol. This finish is rarely seen and the pictures show a nice complete set. As Dutch says, the finish is hard to touch up but this one appears mostly intact, other than wear around the muzzle, which can be cleaned up. I tend to agree with the £170 - £180 price range but personally think it ought to be worth more.

John M
    Hello John,

I've come across quite a few Premiers on my travels, but can't recall seeing any marked with a C or an F. Presumably these two variants are the rarest or is it just me.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Abasmajor View Post
    Hello John,

I've come across quite a few Premiers on my travels, but can't recall seeing any marked with a C or an F. Presumably these two variants are the rarest or is it just me.

Brian
    Hi Brian,

The C is probably the rarest coded Premier as they were only made for a few short months. One sold at Kempton in 2019, so they do come up occasionally. The F is by no means common and the same goes for the A Series, which in my view was the perfected Webley pistol as it had all the best features from the Senior and Mark 1. Theoretically there should be a 'pre A' uncoded 4 pin Premier but I have never seen one and some Webley experts suspect these were never made. I like to hold out hope that one may come along one day though.

John
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22

Hi Brian,

The C is probably the rarest coded Premier as they were only made for a few short months. One sold at Kempton in 2019, so they do come up occasionally. The F is by no means common and the same goes for the A Series, which in my view was the perfected Webley pistol as it had all the best features from the Senior and Mark 1. Theoretically there should be a 'pre A' uncoded 4 pin Premier but I have never seen one and some Webley experts suspect these were never made. I like to hold out hope that one may come along one day though.

John
    Hi John,

I note that Protek recently sold quite a nice looking F coded Premier for £140, so at least I now know of one around for a brief time locally.

Brian

Hi Brian,

John
    I can show you an uncoded 4 pin Premier, but from the date and batch number, it's a 'B' . Reasonable original finish and no sign of it ever having a production code letter on it.

Date 12 5 , batch no. 1505 Inspectors mark 'E'

Quote Originally Posted by WebleyWombler View Post
    I can show you an uncoded 4 pin Premier, but from the date and batch number, it's a 'B' . Reasonable original finish and no sign of it ever having a production code letter on it.

Date 12 5 , batch no. 1505 Inspectors mark 'E'
    Interesting. Do you know if the piston is from the Mark 1 and fitted with a leather washer as I'd expect to see this on a pre A Series pistol. That should tells us for sure.

Kind regards,

John

Interesting. Do you know if the piston is from the Mark 1 and fitted with a leather washer as I'd expect to see this on a pre A Series pistol. That should tells us for sure.

Kind regards,

John
    Washer is 1 piece , looks like blue PTFE. holding screw is much smaller diameter that the one holding a leather washer to a Mk 1. Piston is about 1/2" longer than a Mk1.

Fit a Mk1 piston into it and the pistol won't cock, even with a long link senior barrel and a junior spring fitted.

Quote Originally Posted by WebleyWombler View Post
    Washer is 1 piece , looks like blue PTFE. holding screw is much smaller diameter that the one holding a leather washer to a Mk 1. Piston is about 1/2" longer than a Mk1.

Fit a Mk1 piston into it and the pistol won't cock, even with a long link senior barrel and a junior spring fitted.
    That confirms it then - an unstamped B as you originally mentioned. It's the first unstamped B I've heard of though.

John M

Another of those little anomalies that turn up every now and then to add to the fascination.

Brian

I bought this only last week as I thought it interesting that I couldn't see any sign of a coding on the gun. I'm quite pleased with it. Thought it might be under the grip but it isn't. It almost matches another pistol that I have and is listed on the premier list. This one is not as yet. The other markings are deep and clear so I can't understand how this one escaped.

Does anyone know of any other uncoded Premier pistols of any series? Incidentally, I'm coming to the opinion that MkII Juniors are dated in the same way that Premiers are. I have seen a few so marked.
    Last edited by WebleyWombler; 11-03-2021 at 10:08 AM. Reason: something else