Thread: Original 45- can anyone advise on trigger adjustment?

Original 45- can anyone advise on trigger adjustment?

As per title, Looking for info on trigger adjustment. I have the release really nice but want to adjust the weight of the first stage which is very heavy. Can anyone advise? Thanks
    when there's lead in the air there's hope!

If memory serves there is only one adjustment screw. Therefore, its just a case of dialling it in and out in small increments until you find sonething you like.
    As you may have reasoned- don't touch the red screw.
    I think they have very good triggers and if you can't get sonething very useable, the trigger may need cleaned, degreased and some new lubrication.
    Last edited by Drew451; 27-02-2021 at 10:04 PM.

Thanks, I have adjusted the main adjustment screw, and have got a nice release, but my problem is the long and very heavy first stage. Is there a way of adjusting this or is it a fixed system? Perhaps a lighter spring?

I’m not sure what the adjustment screw actually does (sear engagement? pull weight?). As Drew says, don’t mess with the red painted one behind the trigger (I’m not sure what it does, including from looking at the action out of the stock, but the red paint is a danger sign).

Most likely, you have some 40-year old lube in there that has turned to treacle, and needs hosing out.

Im sure the trigger only adjusts for length of pull, so I'm not at all sure how yours isn't. 2nd stage pull weight is essentially factory set although feel differs between different examples.
    Trigger feel is all relative so if say, you are used to T06 Diana then the 45 trigger first stage may feel stiff.
    The red screw acts on sear engagement and its possible to effectively bypass the safety if you mess with it. Or use the safety as a trigger!

Quote Originally Posted by BWH View Post
    Thanks, I have adjusted the main adjustment screw, and have got a nice release, but my problem is the long and very heavy first stage. Is there a way of adjusting this or is it a fixed system? Perhaps a lighter spring?
    When i worked on my 1980 model 45 i degresed,cleaned an polished lightly all the contact areas of the mechanism.I did find a less stiff spring in my bits box and tried it,lightly lubing with sm50.It works fine now.Theres not much adjustment with the 1st stage if i remember-just alter the adjusting screw to how you prefer it.Not as good as the rekord in my hw,s but ok for a 1980 gun.

Thanks All,

Will see if a degrease helps. The adjustment screw ( not the red capped one!) seems to adjust the weight of the second stage, but there is a long and stiff first stage. Maybe I am just used to better triggers! The trigger breaks nicely and seems a good trigger, but the weight of the first stage is off putting. That said the rifle is very accurate. I was hoping to improve the trigger feel to take advantage of the accuracy, but may have to live with it.

Thanks All,

Will see if a degrease helps. The adjustment screw ( not the red capped one!) seems to adjust the weight of the second stage, but there is a long and stiff first stage. Maybe I am just used to better triggers! The trigger breaks nicely and seems a good trigger, but the weight of the first stage is off putting. That said the rifle is very accurate. I was hoping to improve the trigger feel to take advantage of the accuracy, but may have to live with it.
    Best of luck. It definitely isn’t a Rekord, but these aren’t terrible triggers either. They should break with a bit over 3lbs of pressure.

45 Trigger

Triggers of any description are not my strong suit. I manage to get by and that's all.
    However i think what has been written here advice wise is good. I strip, degrease and a hone and lube of the trigger should work wonders.
    On the subject of these triggers I've got them on a couple of 50T01s, a few Original 45s, and a couple of RWS45s. The trigger is excellent. One of them I cannot recall which is a little springy.you have to take up first stage in a slow controlled way to hit second stage. After that all triggers snap like glass.
    But a good point has been made. If you are used to modern light two stage trigger such as the HW Rekord and the Diana T06 they do tend to spoil you and reverting back to a dated basic trigger can make you struggle. I've had such an experience of late trying to master an old early 34 trigger. Feels like a knuckle whitener after the T06 triggers on most of my other guns...
    Dave

Thanks, Yes the trigger breaks nicely it is just the long stiff first stage! I will give it a clean and see how I go.

Update

Well, to update this thread I had a problem with the trigger today and couldnt fire the rifle. I removed the trigger and stipped it down as per this link http://anotherairgunblog.blogspot.co...ly-part-3.html
    It was pretty straightforward, however my rifle has the early style safety block which is a strip of metal NOT the plastic peg as shown in the photos on the link. This it turned out was my problem. It had got caught /bent so I couldnt operate the safety. So whilst I was at it I did a light polish of surfaces of the seaars and also bent the piece of the trigger housing that controls the length of the first pull so as to shorten it. I also shortened the trigger spring by 1.5 coils to lighten the pull. Finally I had to adjust the the red capped screw to allow clearance for the safety tab. All back together now and an improvement on the original set up.

Well, to update this thread I had a problem with the trigger today and couldnt fire the rifle. I removed the trigger and stipped it down as per this link http://anotherairgunblog.blogspot.co...ly-part-3.html
    It was pretty straightforward, however my rifle has the early style safety block which is a strip of metal NOT the plastic peg as shown in the photos on the link. This it turned out was my problem. It had got caught /bent so I couldnt operate the safety. So whilst I was at it I did a light polish of surfaces of the seaars and also bent the piece of the trigger housing that controls the length of the first pull so as to shorten it. I also shortened the trigger spring by 1.5 coils to lighten the pull. Finally I had to adjust the the red capped screw to allow clearance for the safety tab. All back together now and an improvement on the original set up.
    Sounds like a happy ending then.

Good stuff. Thats quite a lot of work you have put into it- well done.