Thread: Good Results from Pointed Pellets

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    Back in the 80s, I loved Silver Jets and thought RWS Superpoints were bloody good. I had indifferent results with H&N Pointed, though others seemed/seem to rate them.

All the other ones I tried (Hustlers, were they a thing? stuff from Scalemead/Phoenix Armoury, Champion) were poor.

I think over the years we’ve fairly conclusively learned that points were at best a bright 1970s idea that didn’t actually work, at worst a pure marketing gimmick. Despite the advertising copy, points generally (a) do not retain velocity better than domes (they do worse); (b) do not penetrate airgun quarry better than domes; (c) are less accurate that domes or (within their useful range) wadcutters.

None of which means that a good (eg RWS Supers) point won’t shoot decently through the right rifle at least out to 25 metres. They can and will. They are just a bit (pun intended) pointless.

I haven’t tried the Strattons, but have seen some good write-ups. But, if the dome head isn’t broken, why try to fix it?

I still wish you could get Silver Jets, though.
    Very good post and I can relate to much of this.

Before the arrival of the RWS Superdome, my main hunting rifle (Feinwerkbau 127) thrived on a diet of RWS Suoerpoint. Excellent results in the day out to my maximum hunting range. I also tried the H&N Pointed back in the day. They did seem of better quality, but the higher weight deterred me from them for springer use. Accuracy? Can't remember. I'd be about 15 at the time.

Mr Geez, maybe some good news for you, if you weren't already aware? Y'know I said the other week how you ought to give the H&N Baracuda a try, as a modern day Silhouette replacement? Well, if you take a peep on the H&N site you'll see that they have been producing the Silver Point for a good while now. Could these be the "modern day Silver Jets" you'd like to try?

I do seem to remember seeing a few references over the years of H&N buying up designs and rights of various different pellets from our recent past? Could be wrong, though. However, it's well worth having a good look through the site.

Personally, as would the majority, I'll stick with quality round/dome heads for the majority of my shooting and wadcutters for much of my short range home use and avoid "novelty" designs.

P.S...Above should read "Baracuda FT".
    Last edited by TonyL; 28-02-2021 at 12:35 PM. Reason: Baracuda FT
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- August 3/4, 2024.........BOING!!