Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Good Results from Pointed Pellets

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Quote Originally Posted by baldinio View Post
    A mate of mine Keith who is a professional pest controller loves Stratton pointed pellets, he swears by them.
    I'll back him up... JSB Stratons are superb pellets and better than many of the domed pellets on sale.
    They'll happily match the best domes to 25 yards - but I haven't yet compared them out to 50 yards yet... Something I hope to do once the range reopens again.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian.Samson View Post
    Is this through some scientific testing or are you basing it on anecdotal observations while rat shooting?

Whenever I've tested the BC of pointed pellets, I've consistently found them to be less efficient through the air than their equivalent domed pellets.
    The less efficient pointed pellets will have less energy downrange and will take more wind than the more efficient domed pellet. Two chrono's and a 45 yard indoor shooting range at your disposal during lockdown and it's easy to prove scientifically

Quote Originally Posted by ballisticboy View Post
    It is an aerodynamic fact that if you have a domed pellet and a pointed pellet both with noses the same length the pointed pellet will have a higher nose drag which will give a lower BC.

agreed Bri and BB.. I said as much, but so much less eloquently
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Seem to remember that Harry Fuller, aka "Yrrah" did some filmed long range testing with pointed pellets, and found that the JSB Straton actually shot quite well.

I tried .22 superpoints in my Diana 52, my chopped HW57 and a short stroked 80K.

I got 30mm groups from the 52, 200mm groups from the 57 and 12mm groups from the 80. All at 22m.

Superpoints can be accurate, but they can be terrible. I used to find they were good in a ratcatcher.

Years ago I was happy enough with Silver Jets now though it's normal domes or flatheads.
    Rabbit Stew, no artificial additives except lead.
    IF THE MUD REACHES YOUR KNEES GET OUT OF THE FIELD QUICK.
    WANTED. UNF MOD.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Hey Brian,

Fantastic to see you on and I hope you're keeping well.

Have you managed to get lots of range time in yourself whilst your customers have had to stay away?

I've read your good lady's article in AGW and looked in on the site and that's some excellent work you've poured into the range over these last few trying months.

Hope the re-opening all goes to plan and that you continue to go from strength to strength and I look forward to finally visiting one day in the not too distant.
    Hi Tony

Been managing a little bit, I'm getting back into doing a bit more with springer - Jon ( Shed Tuner now? - Hi mate ) would be interested in the latest set of internals I'm trying out. 21mm with a 79mm stroke, boy it's super fast

Leanne's eagerly awaiting the return of her HFT500 from RatWorks so she can do a bit more bench rest shooting, she'll have a new (to her) Weaver T36 scope I picked up from here last week to try out too.

We're managing to keep our spirits high and the frustration of having to close our doors at bay by volunteering at the vaccination centre's in Donny. It's nice to see that glimmer of hope in everyone's eye as they arrive for their vaccine. There's light at the end of the tunnel, we just have to not do anything too stupid before we get there now
    Roll on the 12th April

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Hi Bri, I'd heard about your 21mm mate

Glad to see you doing OK and as you say, keeping sane.
    ATB - JB
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by evert View Post
    Seem to remember that Harry Fuller, aka "Yrrah" did some filmed long range testing with pointed pellets, and found that the JSB Straton actually shot quite well.
    The Stratton's are about the best of the bunch (certainly in Lothar Walther barrelled rifles - Air Arms / Daystate etc) for accuracy. Curiously JSB PolyMag Short's can be pretty accurate too. The PolyMag Longs though are truly awful.

A half decent batch of domed pellet will outshoot them though at every range, will retain more energy and will take less wind.

Pointed pellets do look mean though.. those polymags look especially evil.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian.Samson View Post
    Hi Tony

Been managing a little bit, I'm getting back into doing a bit more with springer - Jon ( Shed Tuner now? - Hi mate ) would be interested in the latest set of internals I'm trying out. 21mm with a 79mm stroke, boy it's super fast

Leanne's eagerly awaiting the return of her HFT500 from RatWorks so she can do a bit more bench rest shooting, she'll have a new (to her) Weaver T36 scope I picked up from here last week to try out too.

We're managing to keep our spirits high and the frustration of having to close our doors at bay by volunteering at the vaccination centre's in Donny. It's nice to see that glimmer of hope in everyone's eye as they arrive for their vaccine. There's light at the end of the tunnel, we just have to not do anything too stupid before we get there now
    Roll on the 12th April
    21mm, eh? Don't suppose we're going to get any smaller than that and, yes, I can only imagine how laser-quick it will feel. Have you been trying it out for long? Guessing it's in the TX?

Great to read in AGW that Leanne's bitten the bug and I hope she loves her new / tweaked combo to bits when it's back and together and best of luck for that ladies' team.

Yes, just (hopefully) that final push now......if people behave and don't force things too much and we can return to some sort of normality that will be most welcome.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!