Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Good Results from Pointed Pellets

Good Results from Pointed Pellets

I know the format has had a severe mauling over the years but has it been justified? Is it a given that most serious enthusiasts avoid them? Or are there a few good ones out there that some of you guys have used successfully for years? I have, and I'm sure I can't be the only one.

A mate of mine Keith who is a professional pest controller loves Stratton pointed pellets, he swears by them.

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    Quote Originally Posted by baldinio View Post
    A mate of mine Keith who is a professional pest controller loves Stratton pointed pellets, he swears by them.
    I also know somebody called Keith, but I wouldn't trust a word he says.

I have no doubt a decent pointéd pellet can be as accurate as a dome if kept in good condition. Why you would need a point on something travelling so fast is another matter.

I had good results with some RWS Pointed pellets through my FWB Sport 147. However, as I only shoot this .22 to farmyard ranges then pure accuracy is a moot point as its no real test.

.177, even a wadcutter is pointy enough.
    In 12ft/lbs rifles then a point isn't going to make any real difference to penetration anyhow. Above 12 ft/lbs even less.
    To have the point in manufacturing and tin storage there is loads that could effect the final accuracy.

Just shoot the pellet that gives the consistent accuracy. Pellet placement is what counts.

Back in the 80s, I loved Silver Jets and thought RWS Superpoints were bloody good. I had indifferent results with H&N Pointed, though others seemed/seem to rate them.

All the other ones I tried (Hustlers, were they a thing? stuff from Scalemead/Phoenix Armoury, Champion) were poor.

I think over the years we’ve fairly conclusively learned that points were at best a bright 1970s idea that didn’t actually work, at worst a pure marketing gimmick. Despite the advertising copy, points generally (a) do not retain velocity better than domes (they do worse); (b) do not penetrate airgun quarry better than domes; (c) are less accurate that domes or (within their useful range) wadcutters.

None of which means that a good (eg RWS Supers) point won’t shoot decently through the right rifle at least out to 25 metres. They can and will. They are just a bit (pun intended) pointless.

I haven’t tried the Strattons, but have seen some good write-ups. But, if the dome head isn’t broken, why try to fix it?

I still wish you could get Silver Jets, though.

Pointed pellets

Times do change as do trends. I think at one stage Original actually gave a bit of marketing to H&N Pointed in one of the pamphlets included in with the 45s.
    I certainly had very good performance from H&N Pointed out of my HW80. Back in those days I tested a selection of pellets and settled on those that did the job well. Surprisingly Bulldog Roundheads shot as well as anything expensive and these were my practice pellet of choice. But when I hunted I switched to Pointed. Back in those days I went after predominantly crow, magpie, rat, rabbit, occasional squirrel. They have excellent accuracy out of the 80, which is rightly number one consideration. But also as they were a tad heavier than the run of mill pellets. I found them particularly devastating on crow. Never let me down.
    Back then, and to a large degree now, I tend to undertake my own research and arrive at my own findings rather than listen to second, third, fourth hand advice off others. There seems to be a consensus that Pointed pellets are a waste of time. If they go where they are meant to and hit what is aimed at that does it for me. Doesn't really matter what the shape of the pellet. For me at least.
    Dave

If a barrel likes a pellet then it likes it.

Somecare fussy. Some are easy going. Whatever works for you, your gun and the task and distance you need it to work at.

Generally, the dome is difficult to beat especially for longer.

My rifle does really well with Bisley Pest Control JPs out to 30 to 35. No other HP I have tried has matched the group.

I see no real point in the pointed pellet or triple driver bands or ball bearings etc.

I tend to be a head shot shooter so the argument for drilling through filled crops or heavy wings and quills has never really factored.

I dont think I personally see any benefit in pointed pellets for my style of shooting or quarry.
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    Back in the 80s, I loved Silver Jets and thought RWS Superpoints were bloody good. I had indifferent results with H&N Pointed, though others seemed/seem to rate them.

All the other ones I tried (Hustlers, were they a thing? stuff from Scalemead/Phoenix Armoury, Champion) were poor.

I think over the years we’ve fairly conclusively learned that points were at best a bright 1970s idea that didn’t actually work, at worst a pure marketing gimmick. Despite the advertising copy, points generally (a) do not retain velocity better than domes (they do worse); (b) do not penetrate airgun quarry better than domes; (c) are less accurate that domes or (within their useful range) wadcutters.

None of which means that a good (eg RWS Supers) point won’t shoot decently through the right rifle at least out to 25 metres. They can and will. They are just a bit (pun intended) pointless.

I haven’t tried the Strattons, but have seen some good write-ups. But, if the dome head isn’t broken, why try to fix it?

badged webley now

As has been stated above - it matters less what’s at front of pellet than people seem to think IMO
    I have two rifles that shoot RSW SP more accurately than anything else. More likely thin skirts mating with bore of barrel than anything else.
    Points ‘deviate’ more than other pellets in quarry, this can be more effective. I’m a head shooter but have shot pigeons under wing at close range, and in effect a pointed pellet does more of a job than hollow points are marketed to do - which work the same as a wad cutter or dome - ie ‘go straight’ pretty much

Points years back were ‘championed’ then bashed for last couple of decades.
    There’s plenty of them and I suspect plenty who use them

I also use SP in my hw30 s for bell target -
    They are most accurate (oh yeh 3 rifles they work best in) more importantly unlike SHP and Hobby for example - they don’t bounce back !! They stay crumpled on bell plate if I miss hole
    Looking for TO-6 Trigger unit unmessed with or T0-6 kit for 34

This thread is nothing without photos of groups

Shooting live quarry with an air rifle has to be about accuracy and shot placement. It doesnt matter if the head is pointed, domed,hollowed or even square providing it produces the accuracy you need from the air rifle you use. The more accurate pellets available on the market of whatever the configuration the better off we are.

Quote Originally Posted by RobF View Post
    This thread is nothing without photos of groups
    With every Blueprint Tune he does Bowkett carries out a pellet guide to show which pellets the rifle prefers to save the customer spending £££s on pellets that do not suit his rifle. He doesnt call it an accuracy test and just uses a fixed 6x scope and rolled up blanket to rest upon but it does show the potential of some pellets which the customer might not have thought of trying.
    https://scontent.fbhx1-1.fna.fbcdn.n...2d&oe=60610ED2

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post

Very good post and I can relate to much of this.

Before the arrival of the RWS Superdome, my main hunting rifle (Feinwerkbau 127) thrived on a diet of RWS Suoerpoint. Excellent results in the day out to my maximum hunting range. I also tried the H&N Pointed back in the day. They did seem of better quality, but the higher weight deterred me from them for springer use. Accuracy? Can't remember. I'd be about 15 at the time.

Mr Geez, maybe some good news for you, if you weren't already aware? Y'know I said the other week how you ought to give the H&N Baracuda a try, as a modern day Silhouette replacement? Well, if you take a peep on the H&N site you'll see that they have been producing the Silver Point for a good while now. Could these be the "modern day Silver Jets" you'd like to try?

I do seem to remember seeing a few references over the years of H&N buying up designs and rights of various different pellets from our recent past? Could be wrong, though. However, it's well worth having a good look through the site.

Personally, as would the majority, I'll stick with quality round/dome heads for the majority of my shooting and wadcutters for much of my short range home use and avoid "novelty" designs.

P.S...Above should read "Baracuda FT".
    Last edited by TonyL; 28-02-2021 at 12:35 PM. Reason: Baracuda FT
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by greenwayjames View Post
    Shooting live quarry with an air rifle has to be about accuracy and shot placement. It doesnt matter if the head is pointed, domed,hollowed or even square providing it produces the accuracy you need from the air rifle you use. The more accurate pellets available on the market of whatever the configuration the better off we are.
    Quote Originally Posted by greenwayjames View Post
    With every Blueprint Tune he does Bowkett carries out a pellet guide to show which pellets the rifle prefers to save the customer spending £££s on pellets that do not suit his rifle. He doesnt call it an accuracy test and just uses a fixed 6x scope and rolled up blanket to rest upon but it does show the potential of some pellets which the customer might not have thought of trying.
    https://scontent.fbhx1-1.fna.fbcdn.n...2d&oe=60610ED2
    Good posts, as are all of the above.

When Steve Pope (RIP) last refreshed a couple of my rifles, they also came with pellet feedback information.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by PCPShooter View Post
    As has been stated above - it matters less what’s at front of pellet than people seem to think IMO
    I have two rifles that shoot RSW SP more accurately than anything else. More likely thin skirts mating with bore of barrel than anything else.

I also use SP in my hw30 s for bell target -
    They are most accurate (oh yeh 3 rifles they work best in) more importantly unlike SHP and Hobby for example - they don’t bounce back !! They stay crumpled on bell plate if I miss hole
    Yep. And I've also wondered the following over the years in my meandering thoughts, but would the pointy bit at the front actually help guide the pellet into the centre on a less than perfect shot, or would the crumple effect be more important?