Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Good Results from Pointed Pellets

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    if they are accurate at your chosen range in your gun then sure, use them.

But some inescapable facts...

for our slow subsonic velocities, they are ballistically inferior to domes (look at the front end of concord, vs a Boeing 747), so will lose velocity quicker.

That loss of velocity may not matter at short and medium ranges, but it will increase drop and reduce impact energy. Bearing in mind we start with so little, I'd rather not waste it. But for 25 yards if they are accurate, sure, why not.

The other problem with sheding velocity faster is a longer flight time, so more prone to wind drift. Once again, depends on context whether this matters.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

When pellet testing for accuracy, it may be a common mistake to discount pointed pellets (I suspect this is so), regardless of range
    That may be the most useful thought here -
    Looking for TO-6 Trigger unit unmessed with or T0-6 kit for 34

Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    I also know somebody called Keith, but I wouldn't trust a word he says.

I have no doubt a decent pointéd pellet can be as accurate as a dome if kept in good condition. Why you would need a point on something travelling so fast is another matter.
    Powder burning rifle bullets are usually pointed, they go pretty quick.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by baldinio View Post
    lol, as I said above, super vs subsonic, concord vs a boeing 747.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Thanks, Tony.

I think H&N Silver Points are the same as Bisley Premiers, which I have used in 5.5, and were alright, though not in the same league as the old Silver Jets, and (multiple, unnecessary, driving bands apart) a rather different, less pointy, design.

PS - those 80s advertising copywriters are still in business. According to the spiel, Bisley Premiers are “Heavy, accurate hunting pellet for medium ranges. High impact and penetration with maximum shock effect. Smooth with blood grooves.”

Quote Originally Posted by baldinio View Post
    They certainly do Chris, now who's the clown casting doubt on what I said about the strattons, I find them to disipate more energy than most other pellets including the Strattons and might shoot the odd Rat or two with them

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    Thanks, Tony.

I think H&N Silver Points are the same as Bisley Premiers, which I have used in 5.5, and were alright, though not in the same league as the old Silver Jets, and (multiple, unnecessary, driving bands apart) a rather different, less pointy, design.
    Lead content changes when costs come into play, I have several of the square boxes of original SilverJets in .20 still

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    Thanks, Tony.

Cheers for that, sir.. I have no experience of the Bisley Premiers.

I seem to remember the old Silver Jet as being Japanese made and of being of noted high quality?

Remember the Silver Bear too? Hollow point?
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Cheers for that, sir.. I have no experience of the Bisley Premiers.

I seem to remember the old Silver Jet as being Japanese made and of being of noted high quality?

Remember the Silver Bear too? Hollow point?
    Silver Jets were indeed made by Hasiuke Seisaksho in Japan. They also made a similar triple-ring dome, the Jet, and a match wadcutter, in both .177” and .22”, and Silver Jets in .20”, the last perhaps briefly for Beeman’s attempt to promote .20” at the start of the 80s. They also traded as Mount Star. In the US and U.K., Silver Jets were branded as a Beeman product.

Very clean-looking, well-made and finished pellets, packed in square polystyrene tubs in cardboard sleeves. An impression of quality unmatched until the early 90s boxed Crosman Premiers, which had rather similar packaging.

Beeman Silver Bears were Beeman’s branding of the H&N Hollowpoint, which is still made today (though I can’t say whether the exact design is the same). It may be that Beeman came up with the basic design concept. He was good at that kind of thing.

H&N Hollowpoints were originally introduced in 1981-82 as the H&N Semiwadcutter. Not a lot of people know that.

Very interesting. Thank you for that, Geez.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by Cornishmolecat View Post
    They certainly do Chris, now who's the clown casting doubt on what I said about the strattons, I find them to disipate more energy than most other pellets including the Strattons and might shoot the odd Rat or two with them
    Is this through some scientific testing or are you basing it on anecdotal observations while rat shooting?

Whenever I've tested the BC of pointed pellets, I've consistently found them to be less efficient through the air than their equivalent domed pellets.
    The less efficient pointed pellets will have less energy downrange and will take more wind than the more efficient domed pellet. Two chrono's and a 45 yard indoor shooting range at your disposal during lockdown and it's easy to prove scientifically

Hey Brian,

Fantastic to see you on and I hope you're keeping well.

Have you managed to get lots of range time in yourself whilst your customers have had to stay away?

I've read your good lady's article in AGW and looked in on the site and that's some excellent work you've poured into the range over these last few trying months.

Hope the re-opening all goes to plan and that you continue to go from strength to strength and I look forward to finally visiting one day in the not too distant.
    Last edited by TonyL; 01-03-2021 at 12:24 PM.

I think the history of pointed pellets just proves that they aren't much cop beyond farmyard ranges. Consistently domed pellets have come out top in countless testing over the years.

If you have a tin or two like I found I had then just keep to the range they work well enough at, but I wouldn't go out and buy any. There are more consistent domed designs to test for barrel compatibility first.

Won't stop marketing hype part you of your cash though.

It is an aerodynamic fact that if you have a domed pellet and a pointed pellet both with noses the same length the pointed pellet will have a higher nose drag which will give a lower BC. Conical noses, such as used in most cases on pellets, are never the lowest drag shape at any speeds particularly subsonic speeds where the air favours curved shapes. Even at high supersonic speeds it is always better to have a secant ogive shape rather than a conical shape.

It has also been found that having a small blunt end (meplat) on a pointed nose will slightly reduce nose drag compared to having a sharp point where nose lengths are restricted. At subsonic speeds slug data suggests that even with large amounts of blunting drag can remain low. The reason is not entirely clear but appears to be due to complex aerodynamic interactions producing low pressures on the nose which reduces drag. Meplat diameters of up to 55-60% appear to keep drag low on subsonic slugs.