Thread: Daisy 86/70

Daisy 86/70

Has anyone ever had one of these or perhaps seen one of them for sale when they were current? I think they look quite a stylish looking bb gun but I never recall seeing them advertised for sale in the UK nor do I remember seeing one advertised which makes me wonder if they were ever imported/ distributed over here in the first place. They seem fairly common in the USA which isn't perhaps that much of a surprise. I'd be curious to know if anyone knows anything about their history, & production numbers, cheers.

I had to look that one up. I see what you mean.

I can’t remember seeing one over here, but an awful lot of older US airguns got imported in the period 1995-2005 (between the internet becoming popular and export/import rules being tightened or over-interpreted at both ends).

My impression is that Daisy went through an odd phase in the early 70s, introducing a lot of new designs, few of which did well or stayed long in the catalogue. Like the repeating “Rota-clip” pellet-firing Red Ryder derivative.

I guess some of them may be quite collectible now, at least in the states.

Thank you for having a look to see what one of these is; not a common one over here. Average ones don't seem to go for that much in the 'States but like most things mint & boxed go for the higher money. As a cheap junior gun I suppose the attrition rate was high so really good ones might be hard to find. I think I could be tempted if one in reasonable condition at the right sort of price turned up but I'm not holding my breath. Pity they didn't seem to sell many over here....perhaps there was a good reason?

From a quick search, I believe they were supplied (given the kid’s market) with some sort of toy “safari explorer” map, which may now be worth much more than the actual rifle as so few will have survived.

Reckon you could be right!