Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Various pellet questions

Various pellet questions

Blame continued lockdown boredom, or a chat on another thread mostly with the Venerable Tony L about older pellets, but I’ve been doing some pellet research/window shopping today and have a few random questions.

1. I discover that JSB make a range of “Exact Premier” pellets. £12+ for 200 in fancy packaging like some of the high-end 10M match pellets. Given that regular £9ish for 500 JSBs are awesome, is there any way the Premiers are worth it? Anyone tested them?

2. Tony loves .177” H&N Baracuda FT. They look excellent. I’ll trust him and buy some, but has anyone else tried them?

3. What is the difference between 9.57gn Baracuda FT and 9.57gn Baracuda Light, especially as they appear visually identical in advertising? Why are the latter often more expensive than the FT, without all the marketing about how accurate the FT are?

4. .22” H&N Baracuda 18s. 18gns versus the usual 21. What’s the point of them? Too heavy for a springer (I think so, myself)?

5. Bisley LRG. Any good?

6. Bisley Superfield. The ones that look like a semi-hollowpoint version of the 80s H&N Silhouette. I want to like them. Am I delusional?

Only one I can answer is 6/. the Superfield are, or rather were as I think Bisley pellets are no more, the H&N FT (single T) with a dimple, & were a very good pellet in .20,
    so No you're not delusional.

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    Only one I can answer is 6/. the Superfield are, or rather were as I think Bisley pellets are no more, the H&N FT (single T) with a dimple, & were a very good pellet in .20,
    so No you're not delusional.
    Bisley pellets are no more?

https://www.bisley-uk.com/products.php?c=274

Thanks.

That's what I was told, maybe they meant only the .20 & .25 have been dropped
    Only ones I ever bought were the .20's

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    That's what I was told, maybe they meant only the .20 & .25 have been dropped
    Only ones I ever bought were the .20's
    That makes sense. I need to stock up on 20s. They are disappearing fast.

The Bisley Superfield were made by H&N but they're very different to FTT. They have a pronounced sealing band around the head.

.20 Superfield have been out of production for a fair while
    B.A.S.C. member

Jesim1 is offline Likes to wear driving gloves in the bedroom
    If you get on well with JSB exacts, then the premiums are worth it if you do BR and don't want to hand weigh and check all your pellets, they make the difference from a 247 to a 250 score wise, but the increase in accuracy is so small it's unlikely you would notice it anywhere else other than if BR shooting, but it still saves you the work if your into any type of comp.

Making a mockery of growing old gracefully since I retired

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    #4 for FAC PCP where you want a flatter tajectory, to complete with the 18 grain JSBs. Great weight for a 30 FP PCP.

#6 in .22 can be good if your barrel likes 'em. Also in .20, a good option there too
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    Blame continued lockdown boredom, or a chat on another thread mostly with the Venerable Tony L about older pellets, but I’ve been doing some pellet research/window shopping today and have a few random questions.

4. .22” H&N Baracuda 18s. 18gns versus the usual 21. What’s the point of them? Too heavy for a springer (I think so, myself)?

5. Bisley LRG. Any good?

6. Bisley Superfield. The ones that look like a semi-hollowpoint version of the 80s H&N Silhouette. I want to like them. Am I delusional?

4. I was drawn to these as they were described as a better choice for springers. I have bought a tin but I've yet to test them so when I do I'll let folks know.

5. A lovely little pellet for me, in .22 mind you and in all my HW barrels.

6. As No 5

I don't believe that Bisley make their own pellets? I say this because all their tins have stickers on the base that look very similar to H&N's stickers and in addition, I have not heard that Bisley are discontinuing their branded pellet lines imported or otherwise.

Bisley were made by H&N , the Superfield are great in HW barrels especially the 80 .

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    2. Tony loves .177” H&N Baracuda FT. They look excellent. I’ll trust him and buy some, but has anyone else tried them?

3. What is the difference between 9.57gn Baracuda FT and 9.57gn Baracuda Light, especially as they appear visually identical in advertising? Why are the latter often more expensive than the FT, without all the marketing about how accurate the FT are?
    ?
    From what I had read in the past the Light goes through a slightly less stringent QC sorting / testing process. All things being equal, they should cost a little less than the FT and would imagine any deviation to this to be down to different outlets' pricing policies / buying power?
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Possibly the best pellet I've put through my HW barrelled Rapid. Shot to shot consistency wasn't on par with JSB but much more accurate.

Damn, another 18gr pellet to try and apparently 5.52.....my local has some in stock. Guess I'll be over later.
    Don't know about using them in a springer but they may be an option at 35ft

I had two rather old unopened tins of these in the drawer and neither my Webley mk3 or my Rapid shot well with them.
    Best I got was 1" groups at 20yds.

Quote Originally Posted by robs5230 View Post
    The Bisley Superfield were made by H&N but they're very different to FTT. They have a pronounced sealing band around the head.

.20 Superfield have been out of production for a fair while
    Note I said FT, single T,
    NOT FTT with two T's

The FT was around 1gn heavier than the FTT, must be honest I only ever had 1 batch off the bay from Canada, my .20 Rapid MFR loved them, it's not quite as accurate with either FTT or Superfield.

Geezer,

The weight consistency of the JSB Premium pellets is much better than the 'bulk-tin' JSBs.

Have fun

Best regards

Russ

Spotted some .20 superfields on sale here:

https://www.tackleandguns.net/bisley...200-5859-p.asp

Probably the last chance to get some at a decent price for .20 shooters.

BB