Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Collectables - amazingly popular

Collectables - amazingly popular

A number just caught my eye: 156 people viewing this forum! At the same time, 202 were viewing general airgun and 33 sales.

Meanwhile, my vintage gallery has attracted more than 800 members and rising (some will no doubt be duplicates when people forget their login!).

OK, so many of them will be the same people and lockdown has meant many folk have more time on their hands... but still!

The .co.uk airgun forum has a lot of activity in its collectables section these days too.

Speculation is a bit of a fool's pastime, I dare say, but is it a wild exaggeration to imagine there might be some sort of golden age of collecting on the horizon?
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

I had a few old guns out today with a view to selling now or at Kempton

I've put them back as I don't want to sell them

I think that might fit in with your theory Danny

Especially as I am quite happy to move PCPs on

Your Gallery has grown to be the most extensive source on the internet, I bet I’m on several times a week at least. I don’t remember a time I didn’t find info I needed?

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    Hi Danny it is thanks to you and the others who put it together. that it is the best website about all types of airguns vintage and antique. where would we be without it.

Quote Originally Posted by micky2 View Post
    Hi Danny it is thanks to you and the others who put it together. that it is the best website about all types of airguns vintage and antique. where would we be without it.
    Although I usually visit the BBS forum on a daily basis , the Gallery is where I invariably go for detailed research on vintage airguns.

Thanks again Danny.

Brian

Unique

I really do not know any site like it for collectors, for instance, the Giffard is not exactly growing on trees, but one click and a scroll and you will have more pictures than you are ever likely to see in the flesh in a lifetime.
    https://forum.vintageairgunsgallery.com/giffard/

Thank you is not enough....

Your site is a fantastic resource - great work.
    Paint chipping for Air Arms & Ireland HFT Teams.

I think you said before Danny, that the hobby is in a bit of a heyday.
    Seems I got interested at a good time then, and I think I’ve only come across one airgun that wasn’t on your Gallery, but it is now

Such a valuable resource.

Cheers,
    Matt

it's where i go for a bit of research or some window shopping,extensive,well done

Norwich 'A Fine City' (unless you're a driver)
    Golden Age of Collecting, hope so, until they are banned....

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham

Thumbs up

A really extensive resource, well laid out and beautifully presented... A body of work to be proud of that's for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by ogilkes View Post
    Golden Age of Collecting, hope so, until they are banned....
    For many years I used to rebuild and drive classic cars, all the time thinking they would be banned imminently. Every year I would dread it when the MOT came around and feared my 'sympathetic' MOT tester would retire or move to another part of the country.

I heard recently that cars over 40 years old are exempt from MOTs, which I never could have imagined. Just shows that there's different rules for collectables and 'antiques', despite the hostiity to guns fostered by the antis.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    A number just caught my eye: 156 people viewing this forum! At the same time, 202 were viewing general airgun and 33 sales.

Meanwhile, my vintage gallery has attracted more than 800 members and rising (some will no doubt be duplicates when people forget their login!).

OK, so many of them will be the same people and lockdown has meant many folk have more time on their hands... but still!

The .co.uk airgun forum has a lot of activity in its collectables section these days too.

Speculation is a bit of a fool's pastime, I dare say, but is it a wild exaggeration to imagine there might be some sort of golden age of collecting on the horizon?
    The cynic in me says didn't 4,300 people view my 1951 Austin Hampshire pickup over 10 days on the baye, with 143 watchers while I only got trolly questions and not a single sensible bid. These pickups were rare when you could buy one brand new and it was dear by airgun prices but I expected more positive response than I had. Due to open backs and hard work they were invariably the first model of a range to become extinct. Think mini pickups: when did you last see one? And they aren't 70 years old yet.

Presumably they were just lookers with more curiosity than cash, although the price and lack of a reserve was clearly shown. Danny's site shares one thing with the baye, its free. That's not to detract from it, I usually manage to think of an excuse to sneak in there a couple of times a week myself.

I hope it is the dawning of a whole new age of interest.

More power to your elbow, Danny. Keep it growing.

ATB, Mick
    When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns .

Such a valuable resource.

Quote Originally Posted by ptdunk View Post
    I think you said before Danny, that the hobby is in a bit of a heyday.
    Seems I got interested at a good time then, and I think I’ve only come across one airgun that wasn’t on your Gallery, but it is now
    Such a valuable resource. Cheers, Matt
    I concur. Thanks to you Danny for what you have created and provided.
    Not forgetting those who have contributed images, knowledge and experience to that resource; thank you all too.

A resurgence of interest in bell target and limited shooting during lockdown has certainly piqued my interest and I find the information and detail on this site to be invaluable.
    Thank you for it`s encyclopedic content and I now find I may have to spend my hard earned....
    John