Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Collectables - amazingly popular

Quote Originally Posted by walnutfarmmick View Post
    The cynic in me says didn't 4,300 people view my 1951 Austin Hampshire pickup over 10 days on the baye, with 143 watchers while I only got trolly questions and not a single sensible bid. These pickups were rare when you could buy one brand new and it was dear by airgun prices but I expected more positive response than I had. Due to open backs and hard work they were invariably the first model of a range to become extinct. Think mini pickups: when did you last see one? And they aren't 70 years old yet.

Presumably they were just lookers with more curiosity than cash, although the price and lack of a reserve was clearly shown. Danny's site shares one thing with the baye, its free. That's not to detract from it, I usually manage to think of an excuse to sneak in there a couple of times a week myself.

I hope it is the dawning of a whole new age of interest.

More power to your elbow, Danny. Keep it growing.

ATB, Mick
    Mick, I take your point and maybe the vast majority - or even all - of the viewers of these forums are 'tyre kickers', although I'm talking members of my forum, which is also free-to-view, not just one-time visitors. But so what?! They're here.

On the subject of early Austin pick-ups, I once saw an A35 pick-up at Beaulieu, which was apparently created to get around a daft tax that hit extra car passengers, but commercial vehicles were exempt. Two people were expected to cram into the 'bed' of the A35 and be exposed to the elements!
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    Mick, I take your point and maybe the vast majority - or even all - of the viewers of these forums are 'tyre kickers', although I'm talking members of my forum, which is also free-to-view, not just one-time visitors. But so what?! They're here.

On the subject of early Austin pick-ups, I once saw an A35 pick-up at Beaulieu, which was apparently created to get around a daft tax that hit extra car passengers, but commercial vehicles were exempt. Two people were expected to cram into the 'bed' of the A35 and be exposed to the elements!
    The same reason my parents’ first “car” was an Austin A35 van with the 1098cc engine. My grandfather’s last job was at Austin and he got them a deal of some kind on it and was canny about the tax thing. I think it had a back seat fitted.

The Gallery is a truly exceptional resource. And this site isn’t bad either. Long may both thrive.