Thread: Diana Mod. 27 (Pre-war) problem

Diana Mod. 27 (Pre-war) problem

I had just done a bit of fettling on this rifle and was really looking forward to putting it back together. However when I cocked it and was about to load a pellet, the barrel snapped up and knocked the rifle out of my hands. I thought the sear had just slipped, but on inspection the piston rod had parted from the piston - snapped off in the treaded section!

If anyone has a piston please, that would be great. Otherwise I can only think of drilling and tapping the rod much deeper and securing the rod with a longer washer screw but that isn't an entirely satisfactory solution....

Steve.

I would not bore the rod and tap into it, the screw will be thinner (weaker)than the original rod that it will be screwed into.
    Maintaining the original length of the piston rod before it snapped is importan, otherwise you may have cocking issues unless you are happy to alter the present dimensions relating to the cocking system.

You can't have any play laterally and longitudinally after fixing the rod.

Normally and for repairs on something that is not particularly valuable or unique, I would cut a very shallow gentle shoulder on the rod, centre and weld it up solidly to the piston. It's there for keeps then.

Whatever you do, try and refrain from removing too much material from the rod where it goes into the piston.

Alternatively, you may find a used one on the German site.

Here you go, ships abroad too, breaking for parts.
    No connection to seller whatsoever, just a heads-up.🙂

https://www.egun.de/market/item.php?id=13627138#img

Thanks DVD. Yes it might be possible to weld the rod in place if I drill out the small bit still remaining. I don't think my own welding skills would be up to that though so I'll have to ask around.

The Egun parts gun is similar but obviously a much earlier version. It does look like the piston may be usable though so I've put a bid in. Many thanks for the link!

Steve.