Thread: Meaning of letters on scope.

Meaning of letters on scope.

I was looking through my scopes to see which is the best to fit my 16mm Pard on to. I know a 12mm Pard is better on a sub 12ft rifle but I have a 16mm so have to use it. On one of the scopes is IR 3-12 x 40 AFR. What does AFR stand for?
    Also is any member on here able to swap the 16mm bit in my Pard to a 12mm? I was given the name of a guy who had done some in the past but got no reply off him when I message him.

What is the whole scope title ? it might mean something about the reticle or it might just be a model designation.

Scope

Adjustable Focus Range..maybe? Mach 1.5

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Was it a budget model ? as in Absolute F*$kin' Rubbish ?
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Type of reticle?
    Repariere nicht, was nicht kaputtist.

Hello, are you sure it is AFR and not AFP ?? i think AFP is adjustable focal plane ???

Quote Originally Posted by oldboyshooter View Post
    Hello, are you sure it is AFR and not AFP ?? i think AFP is adjustable focal plane ???
    Never heard of a scope where you can adjust the focal plane... it's either first or second.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    What is the whole scope title ? it might mean something about the reticule or it might just be a model designation.
    The only writing on the scope is IR 3-12 x 40 ARF, no manufacturers name or anything else.
    I have 2 spare scopes that aren't on any rifles, one is a Hawke Fastmount 3-12 x 40 and the other is a Hawke Eclipse 3-9x 50 AOIR. The Eclipse is probably too long and too strong a magnification for the Pard so I'll maybe try the ARF one first and if it doesn't work well I'll try the Fastmount. If that doesn't work then I'll look at the other scopes on my other rifles to see if any of them will do.

Quote Originally Posted by oldboyshooter View Post
    Definitely AFR.

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    Was it a budget model ? as in Absolute F*$kin' Rubbish ?
    Possibly, as there's no manufacturer name on the scope haha

I think I saw a scope on Optics Warehouse site that was advertised with variable focal plane. I wonder if it could be similar?
    Edit: forget that, I've just been back on the site and can't find it. I must have been dreaming.

2nd FP could be described as adjustable as the "ret adjusts when mag is altered even though it actually should remain proportionate. Probably a case of semantics. What difference does it make. The scope does what it does. Changing letters means what exactly.
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    Never heard of a scope where you can adjust the focal plane... it's either first or second.
    It depends on the internal arrangement of the lenses, so it's impossible to be both.

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    It depends on the internal arrangement of the lenses, so it's impossible to be both.
    indeed, that was my understanding too...