Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does a retail seller of sub 12ftlb airguns have to be an RFD?

Does a retail seller of sub 12ftlb airguns have to be an RFD?

As per title really.
    I am going to assume not if all they sell are sub12ftlb guns.
    Or is there a security requirement or registration with the police that governs trading?

As I understand it yes, there is a special classification for an 'RFD' that deals only in non-FAC airguns.
    People who have been there focus on the fundamentals. People who sit at keyboards all day focus on the trivial and inane.

Yes, because they still have to comply with the legislation regarding refusal to sell to people with previous recorded offences, keeping names and addresses etc. We used to have a dealer in Crewe who didn't even possess a chronograph, so that always concerned me slightly.
    The Early Bird May Get The Worm, But It's The Second Mouse That Gets The Cheese !!

You also need to have an RFD if you want to sell or manufacture silencers.

That's because an Air Weapon is defined in law as a Firearm - and curiously, so is a Silencer, so you need to be a Registered Firearms Dealer to sell them by way of trade or business. ( 2nd hand private sales are exempt from that )

my mate was an rfd for sub 12 airguns only purely for buying in parts covered by the vcr act for the custom guns he made

If you have not got an RFD none of the wholesale trade will deal with you
    I use to be able to get pellets and consumables but wasn't allowed sub 12ft air weapons as didn't have RFD from a local warehouse
    Waveneyshootingclub.org

Your faced with 2 issues.

1. Try and get any FAC application processed. I am in Gloucestershire. Not a chance at the moment.

2. Try and get an account from a wh9lesaler if you dont have a shop or RFD Either
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill

If selling airguns or silencers and some component parts as a business retail etc you need to be a RFD.

Dave.

There also might be a bit of a loophole in the law as well - perhaps someone with a better understanding can expand on it, but I believe you can be an 'Agent' of an existing RFD with little or no checks involved.

I believe that some RFD's have exploited this loophole and made all of their delivery drivers 'agents' so they legally fulfill the face-to-face only requirement.. since the delivery driver is an 'RFD' he can sell face-to-face at your front door.

Thanks all.
    Aspects there I wasnt aware of.
    It came up as a topic on a facebook group.

do tuning people need to be an RFD also ?

No, unless they are selling tuned airguns. It is all about commercial selling. If you are fixing up someone else's airgun there is no need. No need either if you want to make an airgun for yourself (good luck with that!).

Just read a BASC page that says you don't need one for fixing airguns.
    Last edited by bighit; 03-03-2021 at 09:17 PM.

If your repairing an airgun for a friend or member of the public then you wouldn't need an rfd but if you are repairing and tuning as a business commercial venture etc you would really need to be rfd,

Dave.

There is no "loophole" about agents of RFDs. Someone working for an RFD is allowed to deliver airguns for that RFD. The delivery driver is working for the RFD just like someone working in the shop is working for the RFD. They are not conducting door-to-door selling. They are delivering. Long may that continue in order to allow the trade to continue to exist. More restrictions would mean more shops closing their doors because they are not economic to run anymore.