Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Does a retail seller of sub 12ftlb airguns have to be an RFD?

Quote Originally Posted by Powderfinger View Post
    There is no "loophole" about agents of RFDs. Someone working for an RFD is allowed to deliver airguns for that RFD. The delivery driver is working for the RFD just like someone working in the shop is working for the RFD. They are not conducting door-to-door selling. They are delivering. Long may that continue in order to allow the trade to continue to exist. More restrictions would mean more shops closing their doors because they are not economic to run anymore.
    If that's the case then why is mail order not allowed? Or are you saying the delivery agents have to explicitly be employed by the RFD, simply being a DPD driver won't suffice?

Quote Originally Posted by RobF View Post
    If that's the case then why is mail order not allowed? Or are you saying the delivery agents have to explicitly be employed by the RFD, simply being a DPD driver won't suffice?
    Yes, that’s it, as I understand it.

Quote Originally Posted by RobF View Post

Carriers are exempted from the regulations but dealers are restricted by the Face to face rules. An RFD can post by carrier to another RFD but cannot post direct to a customer.

Yes. The agent carrying out the delivery has to be an employee of the RFD not a courier engaged to carry out only that delivery.

premierpistol is offline Six out of seven dwarfs aren't happy
    Quote Originally Posted by DM80 View Post
    If your repairing an airgun for a friend or member of the public then you wouldn't need an rfd but if you are repairing and tuning as a business commercial venture etc you would really need to be rfd,

Dave.
    This may be another of those "Depends on the FEO and the county authority" situations? , I didnt have to have an RFD to carry out repairs as way of business but another guy i know, in York area, did. The only thing other than a postcode and deapartment difference were I have a FAC and does not? I cant see that making much of a difference TBH but maybe because they had already done the background checks on me, may have some bearing on it?

There were issues with NOT having an RFD though, some parts were difficult to obtain and if an airgun was over the limit, I was advised to inform the FEO of this, carry out the works and tuning and then let them know it was now of legal status. a faff on and waste of mine and the FEO's time but if it kept me on the right side of things, they were happy.

I regularly carried out works for a number of RFD's locally to me, so they allowed me to act as a "slave" meaning I had authority from them to carry out repairs to guns that were booked into their shop. This allowed me to transport, reair and test any rifle, shotgun or airgun whilst carrying out the repair for them. I would arrange any FAC airguns to go through them at a modest admin cost so that they would carry out the final exchange with the customer and check licenses etc.

Worked well but to be honest, there is or was, lots of hours and plenty of running around for little money to be made in repairs so I went back to working for a wage. Pretty much the same as Darrin from XTX did

I still do the odd repair for friends and my old regulars, when I have time.. and will likely return to it full time when the time is right and the mortgage is paid off LOL

If the repairer supplies a mainspring, barrel or new piston by way of trade, yes, they need an RFD in the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by premierpistol View Post
    This may be another of those "Depends on the FEO and the county authority" situations? , I didnt have to have an RFD to carry out repairs as way of business but another guy i know, in York area, did. The only thing other than a postcode and deapartment difference were I have a FAC and does not? I cant see that making much of a difference TBH but maybe because they had already done the background checks on me, may have some bearing on it?

There were issues with NOT having an RFD though, some parts were difficult to obtain and if an airgun was over the limit, I was advised to inform the FEO of this, carry out the works and tuning and then let them know it was now of legal status. a faff on and waste of mine and the FEO's time but if it kept me on the right side of things, they were happy.

I regularly carried out works for a number of RFD's locally to me, so they allowed me to act as a "slave" meaning I had authority from them to carry out repairs to guns that were booked into their shop. This allowed me to transport, reair and test any rifle, shotgun or airgun whilst carrying out the repair for them. I would arrange any FAC airguns to go through them at a modest admin cost so that they would carry out the final exchange with the customer and check licenses etc.

Worked well but to be honest, there is or was, lots of hours and plenty of running around for little money to be made in repairs so I went back to working for a wage. Pretty much the same as Darrin from XTX did

I still do the odd repair for friends and my old regulars, when I have time.. and will likely return to it full time when the time is right and the mortgage is paid off LOL

If you do repairs for a shop rfd etc, on their premises thats all good if your doing repairs for them off their premises you need to be rfd or at least an agent registered on their RFD cert if you were stopped with a firearm you would be in trouble just having permission off the dealer won't cut it you need to be their agent registered on their rfd or rfd yourself, reason being the firearm or shotgun that leaves the premises needs to be booked out, the dealer knows this they would be in the dog poo if found out.

Dave,

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    Quote Originally Posted by LSD UK View Post
    If the repairer supplies a mainspring, barrel or new piston by way of trade, yes, they need an RFD in the UK.
    Barrels, pistons and moderators are pressure bearing parts and cannot be sold or posted when new unless by an RFD to an RFD. Chambers get (or at least used to) around this with pistons by supplying exchange ones; you send yours, they send back another.

The rest of the gun is not covered by the vcr act
    God rest ye jelly mental men

Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    Barrels, pistons and moderators are pressure bearing parts and cannot be sold or posted when new unless by an RFD to an RFD. Chambers get (or at least used to) around this with pistons by supplying exchange ones; you send yours, they send back another.

The rest of the gun is not covered by the vcr act
    Absolute madness
    Custom BSA S10 .22 PAX Phoenix Mk 2 .22 Custom Titan Manitou .22 (JB BP) HW77 .22 FWB Sport Mk1 .22 Sharp Ace .22 Crossman 600 .22 Berretta 92 .20 Desert Eagle .177

Quote Originally Posted by MartynB View Post
    Absolute madness

Add to that the fact you can order a whole air rifle from outside the UK and it can legally be posted to your door!

It’s almost as if laws are made just to punish UK businesses.

Add to that the fact you can order a whole air rifle from outside the UK and it can legally be posted to your door!

I know, it really wasn't thought through at all
    Custom BSA S10 .22 PAX Phoenix Mk 2 .22 Custom Titan Manitou .22 (JB BP) HW77 .22 FWB Sport Mk1 .22 Sharp Ace .22 Crossman 600 .22 Berretta 92 .20 Desert Eagle .177

I don't think it's legal, just strictly not illegal (Yet)

When the VCR act came into being, the tinternet was in it's infancy.
    I don't think they ever anticipated what folk would be able to do on a computer or phone.

Still a bit surprised they haven't closed that loophole yet
    B.A.S.C. member

Quote Originally Posted by robs5230 View Post
    I don't think it's legal, just strictly not illegal (Yet)

When the VCR act came into being, the tinternet was in it's infancy.
    I don't think they ever anticipated what folk would be able to do on a computer or phone.

Still a bit surprised they haven't closed that loophole yet

It’s not a loophole, the restriction is on the seller not the buyer. It would require an entirely new law to be passed that would likely have to include secondhand items.

Quote Originally Posted by premierpistol View Post

To be a servant of the RFD now, you have to have your name printed on the RFD as a servant. We get background checked and have to Provide date of birth, home address and place of birth. We can then legally handle any firearms, air rifles or shotguns as long as its to do with the business anywhere in the UK (such as collecting or dropping off)