Thread: Mainspring steels

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Well ... this has been interesting. A quick google and Wiki shows me that there are lots of different steels, as Blackbeard says. I guess I expected this, indeed if you google a bit further you can find descriptions of the various grades of spring steel complete with all sorts of data regarding their properties.
    But ... there is always a but.... I wonder if we will ever be told which particular steel a particular spring is made from? I did come across a site where you could indeed design your own spring from a particular steel spec/code.
    Cheers, Phil

The only way to identify the steel would be to stick it into a test device that measures the % of alloying element content and then look up the nearest specification. This is standard metallurgy test gear but a bit too expensive for the home airgunsmith.

Not in same vane but connected, does tempering make any difference when manufacturing air gun springs?
    If so can they be revived by re tempering ?
    Seems BSA Mod / LJ springs seem to survive usage after 100 yrs, or were they just exceptionally well made at the time compare to later springs ?

I think it is down to the heat treatment and how close the temps were kept to optimum. There is an optimum temp for hardening and an optimum temp for the tempering back to spring hardness. This is assuming a quality steel was used. The tempering process can be anything from brittle and stiff to near mush and I've had springs that were soft and went flat as well as springs that broke in a few 1,000 shots. I've also had springs that stay at the intended performance level for 10,000 shots, but that's about the limit. I always wanted a spring made from Vasco-wear valve spring wire. I've heard of knives made from it that were almost un-sharpenable, but they held their like nothing else. In the end I just buy a few springs at a time and they are almost always just fine.

It is the hardening process that extends the yield point up so that when the spring is compressed the material doesn't yield. If it is too hard the yield point will be very high but the spring will be brittle. If it is too low the spring will yield and not spring back properly. The alloying elements let you push the yield point up further while avoiding brittleness. You need to get the heat treatment right though.

Just had a look at this thread & some of the points raised. Yes there ar lots of formulations for steel carrying in both elemental composition & elemental ratios all of which will interact together with the manufacturing process & post manufacturing handling ( of the steel). Ie drawing, tempering etc

Springs can be made out of all sorts of stuff, the trick is choosing the right stuff for the right job
    Years ago there were SAE specifications for things. Just as an example ard drawn wired could be to SAE 1350 or 1360.1360 hada little mor e carbon in it, similar manganese content,silicon & sulphur levels were similar. The elastic limits as a percentage of tensile strength both in tension & torsion had the same limits as each other. Modulus of elasticity were the same spec as we're the allowable compression spring working stress. Both could be used as inexpensive springs with low stress, least expansive applications, bed springs, general upholstery etc toys etc where stresses were low, SAE1350 was used for springs under 100 ins. whereas 1360 was usedd for springs over 100 ins.
    Then there's Music wire SAE1085 or 1890, Swedish steel music wire , annealed HC, Oil tempered,Cv steel, CV valve wire, silicon Manganese, Si Cr, clock spring (more than one type) various stainless steels just to give an idea of the variations.
    It's a big subject...

This information is fascinating, thank you all. I had long suspected that springs were not all equal even if their dimensions were. I have also often thought that Titan springs were of a different composition to other brands. I asked the question above as to what composition was best for mainsprings but if composition information is not available for any mainsprings offered to the general public then it becomes somewhat academic and people can only choose based on experience. Maybe it really is a case of 'buy what you know from a reputable source'. It would be interesting to know, just for information, where the major airgun manufacturers source their springs from, or if not a single source, the spring spec. But I guess this information is not available; not that it is a secret (or is it?) but just that it is hidden in the files of the department responsible for ordering the springs or the wire to make them from.
    Interesting that 'trajectory' mentioned Swedish music wire as I had not found any reference to this in the specifications list I looked at. So I assume it is a specific type and not marketing hype. Did ABBA use this wire on their instruments?
    Cheers, Phil

Think Swedish music wire pre dates Abba...

Springs are a complicated business, well they are to me. The metallurgy involved is complex as the interaction of elements present effects other properties which in turn can effect the performance of the final product. If you look at an element, say phosphorus for example it's addition can cause a loss of ductility & an increase in embrittlement. It can also influence the integration of other elements such as carbon if surface treating it. Then there is also a possibility that it can effect spring performance if the rate of energy release is not constant. ie rapid unloading compared to slower rate unloading. Maybe not necessarily an issue with an air rifle/ pistol spring as you'd hope it would release at a constant rate but could be an issue in some applications. It's percentage inclusion may well also influence the austenitc content too.
    Heat treatment will also influence the final product as well. So a batch of steel, assuming it to be consistent from initial to final run out might conceivably give rise to an end product with different properties if the heat treatment is inconsistent. There are a great deal of variables that can interact. I guess the best option is to go for the make of spring that has a good reputation. Their degree of control of the variables coupled consistency & good quality control is what might set them asside from the others.

Some excellent posts on a most fascinating subject. As you say Phil, for the time being the safest approach might well be to buy known product from reputable sources. There will be ways and means of ascertaining composition but, as said above, that would have to be allied to the manufacturing process.

With so many variables, you can understand why the Theoben team were tempted to look at the gas strut. And it might well have some advantages in certain areas, the main disadvantage being the lack of adjustability / tuneability for length and pressure in most cases.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- August 3/4, 2024.........BOING!!

The important thing is that physically identical springs will give identical performance as long as they don't yield, no matter which type of steel they are made from. The one made from the best spring steel won't break at the same stress as the rubbish steel. Better steels are just giving you better reliability. This is important as a bad spring is like having a bad engine in your car.

If the springs were made different to give their best performance then the one from the better steel could be made with less coils, tighter coils and thicker wire- all of which will make a stronger spring.