Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Diana model 46

Diana model 46

Ive seen a Diana model 46 that is an underlever in a configuration like HW77 or HW97.

Never heard of or seen one of these before but I liked the look of it - does anyone have any experience of these - will it be German or made elsewhere

Your thoughts please. Also, are these currently available and how expensive would one be?

Any Pros or Cons?

Thanks.
    If it has a trigger, I'm gonna enjoy it!

The 46 was Diana's early 2000's era underlever which looks very handsome to my eyes and handles very well. German made. The pop up breech cover/ port is not as efficient as the more common sliding breech cover designs. I bought mine new and found it shoot poorly out of the box and had a few issues. They can no doubt be made decent but it will never be as good as the later sliding breech 430 and likely the 460. Based on my experience I would opt for either of the latter which can be bought for around £330-£350 new. The 430 is more suited to our power limits but you will have to hunt one down as they have recently been discontinued.

As Drew said the 46 was a Diana model from early 2000s. They came in basic underlever format and also a handsome stutzen version.
    Loading is similar to the long discontinued Webley eclipse resulting in a rather long port arrangement between end of compression tube and rear of pellet. However on plus side it is inherently safe by design.
    I think power and action wise it's in the realms of the D34 break barrel.
    I have both a standard model and a stutzen and both are very accurate guns. They rarely come up for sale as I don't think they were big sellers here in UK.
    As Drew also says the model was replaced by the 430 model but yet this too now seems to have been culled from the model range. I've recently purchased one and am just getting used to it. Early signs are it's powerful and accurate and has a very sweet firing cycle to it even as factory standard.
    Dave

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    The 46 could become a bit of a collectors gun as you don't see many, the breech was ultra safe but not efficient as the sliding breech but like the 34 that had similar dimensions shot nice, even though it was like the 34 internally to me it still looks like the 460 but as far as I know it only shares the sane front sight and piston seal and on some the metal trigger guard.

PS. Drew, where can you get a 460 for £330-£350 ? please post a link if they are new perhaps you are talking about S/H

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    Sorry I should have said the .22 version for that price, .177 is not really suited to this model and they are selling them off.
    Thanks for the your and Drew's link anyway

Quote Originally Posted by Barryg View Post
    Sorry I should have said the .22 version for that price, .177 is not really suited to this model and they are selling them off.
    Thanks for the your and Drew's link anyway
    Very sympathetic to that, as I am a fan of .22” in springers (though not to the exclusion of .177” and .20”), especially at 10+ ft-lbs.

But does it matter that much at sub-12 with a properly sorted springer, even a big beast like a 460, 48/52 or HW80?

PS, the reason I love Diana threads is that they all basically end with Drew, Jonny, Barry and me talking to each other.

PS, the reason I love Diana threads is that they all basically end with Drew, Jonny, Barry and me talking to each other.
    LOL I know what you mean, as much as I like HW and AA some Diana springer designs seem more interesting

Its just a shame that Diana couldn't keep their old interesting factory

Many thanks for the info.

Thanks for the update guys!
    If it has a trigger, I'm gonna enjoy it!

Very sympathetic to that, as I am a fan of .22” in springers (though not to the exclusion of .177” and .20”), especially at 10+ ft-lbs.

But does it matter that much at sub-12 with a properly sorted springer, even a big beast like a 460, 48/52 or HW80?
    I've always thought that various Dianas platforms lend themselves to .177 better than a lot of other marques models.

Indeed they do. It's a very niche subject these days, it seems. Why this is so beats me.

I blame John Walter for my own affliction: the Mayer and Grammelspacher section of The Book is definately superior.

I really like the loading port design of these. Similar to browning airstar or Webley eclipse.
    It's something im looking at for an underlever design. Not going to be using a sliding compression tube, so something like this or a rotary breech style

Quote Originally Posted by cooper_dan View Post
    I really like the loading port design of these. Similar to browning airstar or Webley eclipse.
    It's something im looking at for an underlever design. Not going to be using a sliding compression tube, so something like this or a rotary breech style
    Have you considered the flip out style of the gamo centre/falcon pistols?
    Rich.
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)