Thread: bsa standard light

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lakey View Post
    Does the cocking lever under the barrel, have a bayonet end, or does it have a push button on the end ? Bayonet lever would be the earlier gun. End button would be 1919/1920 period.

Lakey
    It's gone very quiet .
    Maybe it's a secret .

hi the cocking lever has a button push and on the end of the butt there is a removable plate to give access for room i think for a cleaning kit

edbear2 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin j View Post
    hi the cocking lever has a button push and on the end of the butt there is a removable plate to give access for room i think for a cleaning kit
    Hi, That sounds like a 1920's era gun then, the butt trap on these is a wooden oval cover secured by two small screws with a convex oval spring under it to help release, the purpose is to allow access to the stock retaining bolt, If you shine a light you will see a slotted head down the 'ole

Gun below is a 1919-39 era one (they did change a bit but this is showing all the general shapes of the bits etc.)

If it has a full size metal cover to the butt then it is an earlier stock, most parts interchange between eras so can get confusing when stuff is replaced

Also used for hiding messages, or putting weights in etc. etc., but not really designed to be taken on and off as can break if levered out without care.

ATB, Ed

If it has a letter prefix then it will be made after 1919 (Ok not 100% true since some pre WW1 rifles had the S prefix (these were the ill fated double sear models made between 1912 and 1914 I believe) but the L/C/CS/A/S (The ones without the double sear) ect are all post 1919.