Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: More bin-diving

tinbum is online now Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Beard View Post
    I use one of those trays designed for making multiple cupcakes. You might want to clean off any ptfe non-stick before you use it as fluorine isn't nice. I'm sure you can find one in the pan cupboard.

I melt led on a gas camping burner and use a flat bottomed stainless pan with a metal handle. Make sure the handle rivets are good.

BB
    Yet another advantage of being young, free and single

Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    I got some tealight candles in readyness. I have sifted through and removed as much debris as I could, it will be interesting what the yield is from 3.5kg of dust and crap.

Oh, and I want to get a silicone dinosaur tray for making clean ingots. Does anyone here use silicone?
    If you mean the white wax candles that won't do. Beeswax is a flux. When you melt bullet lead the tin separates out and floats on the surface like a grey scum. If you drop a pea size piece of beeswax in and stir it round it will pull the tin back into the melt. After it has had a good stirring there will be what looks like black grit on top of the alloyed lead. Scoop this off and chuck it away.

Quote Originally Posted by enfield2band View Post
    If you mean the white wax candles that won't do. Beeswax is a flux. When you melt bullet lead the tin separates out and floats on the surface like a grey scum. If you drop a pea size piece of beeswax in and stir it round it will pull the tin back into the melt. After it has had a good stirring there will be what looks like black grit on top of the alloyed lead. Scoop this off and chuck it away.
    Lots of people use white paraffin wax. Watch the video I linked to above - he demonstrates it.

Also http://www.lasc.us/FryxellFluxing.htm

More info on casting

http://www.lasc.us/ArticlesFryxell.htm

You can use sawdust to. Get it from a pet store or run a HW35 stock through a circular saw.

Thanks. I have seen the drip issue and the grinding paste fix. I intend to do that before I start.
    they do produce a nice work of art though......the lyman mag 20 i have is really a good piece of kit which i got very cheap......bottom pourer too
    enjoy your casting and flux well......you can buy a non smelling / smoking flux too

Quote Originally Posted by aris View Post
    Lots of people use white paraffin wax. Watch the video I linked to above - he demonstrates it.

Also http://www.lasc.us/FryxellFluxing.htm

More info on casting

http://www.lasc.us/ArticlesFryxell.htm
    I have never found paraffin wax to be effective.
    Another thing to bear in mind is that when it burns off the smoke is more volatile than beeswax.

Download 'From Ingot to Target'. Bullet casting lore going back to before time began. I've been casting since the seventies and still learnt lots of new (old?) stuff.
    [I]DesG
    Domani e troppo tardi

Quote Originally Posted by DesG View Post
    Download 'From Ingot to Target'. Bullet casting lore going back to before time began. I've been casting since the seventies and still learnt lots of new (old?) stuff.
    Co-written by the same chap who wrote the link I posted above.

Here is a link to the PDF:
    http://marvinstuart.com/firearm/Manu...yxell_Book.pdf

Bin diving

Hi.

Its nice to get free lead for the melting pot. I was wondering what the other range users think, some might get a bit narky if they are not getting a share.
    I'm interested to know how to overcome the dripping from my Melter. It seems to build up some strange stuff around the hole and stop it from sealing.
    I thought everything would have floated to the top as slag. I know your not meant to let it get to empty. I had quite a job getting the crud off it to get it working/sealing again. I use the flux purchased from Brownells you do not need much per melt.

James

Quote Originally Posted by jamesg View Post
    Hi.

Its nice to get free lead for the melting pot. I was wondering what the other range users think, some might get a bit narky if they are not getting a share.

James

Hi James, reloading isn't a "thing" here, a few do it to a certain degree, but Johnny Frog generally cannot be arsed!
    This is why I am amassing quite a collection of brass for which I just need the corresponding guns.

I had an email from le pres de la club yesterday asking if anyone wanted green sheets (prefectural permissions for cat b weapons) so I asked for one for an AR15, one for an AK and one for a PPK plus a couple of spares just in case. That takes me up to eight which is the recognised number of cat b's you can have before Les Rozzers want to come and check you have a safe. I have one each for long guns, pistols and ammo and comply and all that, but I want to wait til I have my secure armoury completed before I get them around for a beer and a nosey.

Slugs

Is this uk ? If it is slugs are section 1 firearm components and can not be possessed with a shotgun licence ,also slugs use slower powder than lead shot it’s not safe just to swap one for one .

Turnup is offline Dialling code‎: ‎01344
    Quote Originally Posted by deershooter View Post
    Is this uk ? If it is slugs are section 1 firearm components and can not be possessed with a shotgun licence ,also slugs use slower powder than lead shot it’s not safe just to swap one for one .

No - Tinbum has moved to France so he can make us all envious of his collection of handguns.
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL

Quote Originally Posted by deershooter View Post
    Slugs are typically 1oz or 7/8oz so lighter than a normal shot charge. If anything a faster powder would be needed, but I’ve never had a problem with swapping them out.
    [I]DesG
    Domani e troppo tardi

Quote Originally Posted by Turnup View Post
    No - Tinbum has moved to France so he can make us all envious of his collection of handguns.
    Three is hardly a collection....

Today I had a go with some factory 12g slugs pushing just over 3000 ft/lb. i was using a friends rifled winchester pump and the recoil was somewhat noticeable! Accuracy seemed good though for the few shits I tried.

He ordered a lead melter same day as me, but his has arrived so it's round to his this weekend.

Turnup is offline Dialling code‎: ‎01344
    Three is hardly a collection....

Today I had a go with some factory 12g slugs pushing just over 3000 ft/lb. i was using a friends rifled winchester pump and the recoil was somewhat noticeable! Accuracy seemed good though for the few shits I tried.

He ordered a lead melter same day as me, but his has arrived so it's round to his this weekend.

It's three more proper guns than anyone here has
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL