Thread: Benjamin 22 repeating pellet pistols

Benjamin 22 repeating pellet pistols

Part of the focus of my collection has been vintage repeating pellet pistols. This has been a ongoing quest that few realized in the past. BB’s yes but pellets were more difficult. Now the CO2 Replica market has made it commonplace. The first I believe was the Haenel 28 R made starting around 1928. It’s is my favorite of all time. The Crosman 600 blew everyone away in 1960, still admired today. I was able to complete my collection of Benjamin 22 repeaters last week with the pistol they offered to finally compete with the 600. What to me was fascinating about Benjamin’s two offerings were they were quirky and short lived. And you could argue that the 422 automatic was a poor unreliable design. But to me it just is a fascinating quirky piece. The 2620 with its three stacked tubes almost defines the quirky and given its 22 ball ammo was only available through Benjamin at the time probably sealed its fate in 1964. It is certainly the most difficult to find. These Benjamin’s were very well made and below are pics of almost pristine examples.
    https://imgur.com/a/FIS9DaU

I know previously most of you thought the Crosman 600 was better looking than the Benjamin 422. But I have to agree with, I think it was Brian? that the Benjamin 422 is a much better looking less “ray gun” pistol. Also the 600 is a handful? Pics to support my view,

https://imgur.com/a/ZKxmg1b

Well done !
    I have said this before, you must live in a airgun hotspot - or have great contacts

Can't agree with you or Brian though on the eye candy appeal of the 422 over the 600. 600 could have been made last year, it has timeless lines and really engaging controls and feel. The 422 is the ugly sister

Beautiful pistols, Steve. Amazing condition!
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    I know previously most of you thought the Crosman 600 was better looking than the Benjamin 422. But I have to agree with, I think it was Brian? that the Benjamin 422 is a much better looking less “ray gun” pistol. Also the 600 is a handful? Pics to support my view,

https://imgur.com/a/ZKxmg1b
    Hi Steve,

I would still standby my original opinion that the Benjamin 422 is a better-looking pistol than the Crosman 600, but not nearly as sound a design from an engineering point of view.

If you have one that works, they are great, but I have heard that it's a bit of a lottery when looking for reliable example. Mine works just as well as my 600 but it is in excellent condition and only used sparingly.

As you say though. it is a quirky design which adds to the attraction and desirability in my view anyway.

Mine came boxed with the original accessories and paperwork so if you don't already have the associated instruction booklet, I would be happy to send you a scanned copy.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Abasmajor View Post
    Hi Steve,

I would still standby my original opinion that the Benjamin 422 is a better-looking pistol than the Crosman 600, but not nearly as sound a design from an engineering point of view.

If you have one that works, they are great, but I have heard that it's a bit of a lottery when looking for reliable example. Mine works just as well as my 600 but it is in excellent condition and only used sparingly.

As you say though. it is a quirky design which adds to the attraction and desirability in my view anyway.

Mine came boxed with the original accessories and paperwork so if you don't already have the associated instruction booklet, I would be happy to send you a scanned copy.

Brian
    Hello Brian
    I also have one of these 422 and would appreciate a scanned copy please?
    Mine doesn't seem to like domed pellets but has worked well and not many double shots with flat heads.
    What pellets have you tried with yours chaps?

Mike

Brian mine came in a box but no instruction would be great to have a copy. Thanks. Mine did work but have only shot a few of the original Benjamin pellets that came with it. I’m going to continue to experiment with it. The 2620 works very well with Gamo 22 cal. balls. Though you have to pull back the hammer each time as a new ball automatically falls into place from above. Kind of a hoot as well, but an advance Benjamin collector says they are crazy rare. He’s only seen one in 15 years and that was this one.
    Last edited by 45flint; 05-03-2021 at 10:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cozzamec View Post
    Hello Brian
    I also have one of these 422 and would appreciate a scanned copy please?
    Mine doesn't seem to like domed pellets but has worked well and not many double shots with flat heads.
    What pellets have you tried with yours chaps?

Mike
    Hello Mike,

I used a few of the original Benjamin pellets when I first bought the gun to give it a better chance of functioning reliably. I then compared the profile of these with more readily available brands and settled on Milbro Caledonian and Marksman No2 as being the closest. Both feed well in my 422 with just the very occasional multi pellet discharge.

I fitted a small square of Velcro below the breech to prevent the magazine follower marking the end plate as it has quite a strong spring.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    Brian mine came in a box but no instruction would be great to have a copy. Thanks. Mine did work but have only shot a few of the original Benjamin pellets that came with it. I’m going to continue to experiment with it. The 2620 works very well with Gamo 22 cal. balls. Though you have to pull back the hammer each time as a new ball automatically falls into place from above. Kind of a hoot as well, but an advance Benjamin collector says they are crazy rare. He’s only seen one in 15 years and that was this one.
    Hi Steve,

PM sent.

Brian

Hello Mike,

I used a few of the original Benjamin pellets when I first bought the gun to give it a better chance of functioning reliably. I then compared the profile of these with more readily available brands and settled on Milbro Caledonian and Marksman No2 as being the closest. Both feed well in my 422 with just the very occasional multi pellet discharge.

I fitted a small square of Velcro below the breech to prevent the magazine follower marking the end plate as it has quite a strong spring.

Brian
    Like the idea of the pad!

Hello Mike,

Brian
    Hi Brian,
    Thanks for the scans of the instructions etc, nice to have them with the pistol and handy in case I need to reseal.
    I've found the cheap Remington thunderceptor pellets worked well with mine, it was just a some flat heads I had handy but I'll look out for some Milbro or Marksman.
    Good idea with the little pad as I've noticed the back of mine was starting to mark slightly, I didn't know if there was a different location to leave the mag follower whilst loading.

Mike

[QUOTE=cozzamec;8003119]Hi Brian,
    Thanks for the scans of the instructions etc, nice to have them with the pistol and handy in case I need to reseal.
    I've found the cheap Remington thunderceptor pellets worked well with mine, it was just a some flat heads I had handy but I'll look out for some Milbro or Marksman.
    Good idea with the little pad as I've noticed the back of mine was starting to mark slightly, I didn't know if there was a different location to leave the mag follower whilst loading.

Mike[/QUOT

Hi Mike,

You're welcome. Another thing I've found with both the Crosman 600 and the Benjamin 422 is that feed reliability increases if the magazines are not fully loaded. Although not as much fun as emptying a full magazine, I prefer the surer result with just five pellets loaded which is what rapid-fire competition strings are limited to anyway.

Brian