Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BSA Supersport head scratcher

Question BSA Supersport head scratcher

Hi All, just bought at auction a rifle that was listed as a BSA supersport, serial no. Starts with DS, it has a carbine length barrel, with what appears to be the fore sight attachment holes on the underside of the barrel, I知 a bit puzzled to say the least, can anyone shed any light on this please?

Ok, without pictures let's start easy.......is it a break barrel rifle?
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)

https://www.gunspares.co.uk/products/24314/Supersport/

Have a look at the parts diagram here........were you missing the carbine barrel end thingy and was the end thingy held on by a grub screw that goes into the barrel?
    Rich.
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)

Like this ?
    Not a brill photo, but you can just about see the two grub screws on the underside of said end thingy

Front one is threaded in to the barrel, rear is just a locking grub screw.
    Last edited by angrybear; 05-03-2021 at 07:13 PM.

Thumbs up

Ah that explains a lot, I have looked on Knibbs website and the Supersport is not shown with a cocking aid/moderator? Is it likely that this is a bitsa? Guess I値l have to look for a cocking aid🤔 Thanks to members for replying so quickly

Thumbs up

Ah that explains a lot, I have looked on Knibbs website and the Supersport is not shown with a cocking aid/moderator? Is it likely that this is a bitsa? Guess I値l have to look for a cocking aid🤔 Thanks to members for replying so quickly.
    P.s aah 🤦Averageplinker had a look at the link you sent me, now I get it👍

Looks like the muzzle brake is a standard bsa item.
    Inverted to hide the grubscrew and foresight fixing holes perhaps?

How long is the barrel?

Quote Originally Posted by dashsix View Post
    Ah that explains a lot, I have looked on Knibbs website and the Supersport is not shown with a cocking aid/moderator? Is it likely that this is a bitsa? Guess I値l have to look for a cocking aid🤔 Thanks to members for replying so quickly.
    P.s aah 🤦Averageplinker had a look at the link you sent me, now I get it👍
    Well it might be a bitsa, but afaik that's a std BSA part fitted to the carbine's, as per my .25 in the pic.

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    As already described the carbine barrels came with a barrel weight that you can screw the BSA silencer in the end, it attaches to the barrel by a small bolt that screws into the threaded hole you describe and also has a grub screw for some reason, the weight will also have a threaded hole on the top so you can mount the generic BSA foresight on, you then will need the metal raiser block to mount the rear sight onto to bring it into line.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Looks like an ss carbine to me

Thanks to all the members that replied, I now know what I've bought, will set to work on the lathe now and make a muzzle weight, does anyone know what thread is in the barrel? BA or UNF maybe?

They aren't usually threaded mate. The muzzle weight that is already on has a female thread under the end cap that a dedicated moddy screwed into iirc

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    As above the original weight had a threaded cap that you unscrewed and then screwed the BSA silencer on, not sure what thread it is but it's a large course thread, so if you're making a weight then it might be worth putting a half inch UNF thread on it as you will have more choice of silencers then.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

I suspect he means the threaded hole in the side, I'll just measure mine.

Thread is 0.14" dia can't find my imperial thread gauge but I'd guess 1/8 unf.

It's the same size as the thread for the front sight if that helps.