Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Weihrauch HW80 info

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    At legal limit it probably shoots .177 the best.
    nah, .25
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by Barryg View Post
    Not all 80's are the same, there have been a fair few changes over the years, here are some of them

Hi there, would you say the changes made are good/bad/indifferent, also would you agree with some people who say the modern weihrauchs are not as well made as the they were, just a few general question for all the Weihrauch lovers out there...

Quote Originally Posted by elewis411 View Post
    Hi there, would you say the changes made are good/bad/indifferent, also would you agree with some people who say the modern weihrauchs are not as well made as the they were, just a few general question for all the Weihrauch lovers out there...
    I have wondered about the barrel retaining catch come forward stock screw mount with it's spring clip to stop the cocking link rattling but I doubt many on here have had the pleasure of owning the lastest spec model, unless that happens to be Mach 1.5 with his self confessed 100 + Hw80's wtf
    Hw77+7

I really fancy one.

Even though I am a big fan of my numerous very dainty, but nevertheless mighty, 30 ess's it seems that I should not meet my maker without owning an 80.

Hw80

The older ones do seem to be made of better steel but to be honest they are still one of best break barrel air rifles made to this day. Mach 1.5

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    nah, .25
    I've got one with a .25 carbine barrel and it shoots really nicely. It is very quiet with a small silencer.

BB

Quote Originally Posted by Errol View Post
    How do they stand up accuracy wise against the other Weihrauchs?
    The late great and sadly missed (no pun) Mr J Darling did ok with the HW80.

Quote Originally Posted by elewis411 View Post
    I wouldn't want the new version I'd go for one at least 15 or 20 years old and fettle in back to as bought or near as.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Beard View Post
    I've got one with a .25 carbine barrel and it shoots really nicely. It is very quiet with a small silencer.

BB
    I've always figured that the extra air capacity consumption of the .25 bore, and the reduced backpressure, together mean less tendency for that piston to bounce when the spring is backed off for 12 FP useage.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    I've always figured that the extra air capacity consumption of the .25 bore, and the reduced backpressure, together mean less tendency for that piston to bounce when the spring is backed off for 12 FP useage.
    That makes so much sense, John. I remember Bigtoe saying years ago how "air hungry" the .177 is compared to .22. And that the. 25's appetite for air was equally insatiable. But allied to that lower back pressure you mention following pellet release due to the larger volume should make it very, very nice.

Still won't be homing one, though. I only shoot informal targets now and the rising costs and current family finances would make the .25 a luxury too far. Be lovely to get a ratting perm and try them, though!

Of my two 30mm 80s, both Venom tuned many years ago, my memory would indicate that the .22 was always much, much more pleasant to shoot. And the .177 more harsh. A bit puzzling considering the consensus on this thread and the ample volume. I did mention this to Steve some time ago when I collected the Vantage and Predator post refresh and he also seemed a little bemused, citing maybe a seal problem? I haven't shot either for years. Must pull them out of the cabinet (they have been back with me for 5 months as they lived at my dad's for years due to storage constraints), give them an airing, re-acquaint myself and decide any tactics.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

So, something went right for a change and a brief HW80 session and re-acquIntance took place this afternoon.

First off, the .177. It's a Mark II with a really beautifully grained and dark stained stock. It's the K version. Foresight removed years ago and the grooves still show. Must put that right. In fact, I'm pretty sure I have a Venom muzzle break that I bought for it many years ago (like back in the 80s) and never got round to fitting!. On examination, breech seal seems okay. This will have last received a service by Venom at Cradley Heath back in about 1988 methinks, so I'm sure it would benefit from a new seal. Felt quite heavy to cock. Put a drop of oil on the safety catch. Cocked and de-cocked a few times and then a few shots. Three to warm up and then onto the targets 10mm dots felt-tipped onto card. Much, much less harsh than I remember. In fact, pretty nice. Just a dull thud and the cycle feels quick and not abrupt. "Back in the day" I used Superdomes. Today was the Hobby at ten yards and it easily printed tight little clusters, shooting sitting, not rested. Loved it.

Then the .22. It's a Mark I, again Venom tuned, last refreshed in the late 80s. Standard length to begin with but Dave and Ivan shortened the barrel a little and fitted a Slimtech silencer at one of its services. On cocking and de-cocking, safety seemed a little sluggish, so a drop of oil on this. I estimate the last time I used this to be around 1994! Again, three "clearing" shots and then it proceeded to print two very neat and tidy little groups with Superdome. Softer to cock and shoot than the .177 but not lazy. And a little more composed.

Wow! Love these rifles. It's testament to their quality and the Venom tunes as to how well they shoot having not been used nor received any attention for so long. With a tiny bit of attention, like new breech seals and there's a bit of creep on the .177's trigger (might be gunged up?) they'd be even more impressive. And I wonder how much nicer they would shoot with modern JSB pellets and how much the accuracy would improve with JSB or FTT. Very possibly lots.

It was lovely to spend little time with these today. I feel very privileged and fortunate to own them. They feel special to shoot. And you certainly feel like you're handling a living, breathing legend. I could very easily declare the 80 to be my favourite rifle. But then I think of my 77s, 97s, 98, 95s, 30Ss, 35s, 55T and 50 and, er, I love them all. They all feel special and perform impeccably.
    Last edited by TonyL; 07-03-2021 at 07:42 PM.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

Like you Tony I love my Hw's. Yes I own a full blown venom hw80 in .25 cal in maglaza tune which is lovely but have to say my vglide reduced 25mm cylinder 80 running at 11.4 is next to recoiless. I still to this day don't know how Mr Pope managed to create such an amazing shooting rifle. Testament to the great man I must say. Mach 1.5

Errol Guest
    MK1 in .22 calibre. Reasonable good condition. £260 should I buy. No I don't want baby calibre lol

I've got a Mk1 80 in bits in front of me right now. I got it years ago as a restoration project as it wasn't in the best condition externally. It's been in my parents attic untouched for the last 6 years, just brought it back down as im back into shooting again. Lot of work to be done but looking forward to it. Need to find out how to put it back together as i've forgot lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Mach 1.5 View Post
    Like you Tony I love my Hw's. Yes I own a full blown venom hw80 in .25 cal in maglaza tune which is lovely but have to say my vglide reduced 25mm cylinder 80 running at 11.4 is next to recoiless. I still to this day don't know how Mr Pope managed to create such an amazing shooting rifle. Testament to the great man I must say. Mach 1.5
    Yep, my sweetest shooting 80, as you'll know is my 25mm Lazaglide .22 Predator. Refreshed by Steve in 2017. As per the physics involved, it's a whole different shooting experience..