Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New BSA Mercury Millenium

Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    They'd have to alter the rear end to accommodate the Mercury style trigger block (with the later Airsporter RB2 two bolt fixing) and copy the Challenger stock in walnut with the later Mercury pointy style front end to the stock (or even some Prosport style flutes), keep it graceful with elegant flowing lines and absolutely no maxigrip scope rail or higher end block like what's on the Challenger.

I'd buy it.

Pete
    I'd have to agree with the Challenger style stock (but with adjustable comb?) and no Maxigrip, Pete.

End block I'm not so sure. Some Gamos have that Mercury-esque sloping insert held in by the trigger unit securing bolt. I'd be quite happy with that but with the insert made of blued steel. This arrangement would allow for less trepidation on stripping / rebuilding and no worries over the indexing of the securing nut inside the old Mercury / Airsporter block. A shorter sloping section would allow for more orthodox scope rail positioning too, so no need for "reach back" mounts as some people have to use on the older guns. For it to become reality, the fewer changes from the Gamo design the more realistic in getting a gun to market, methinks?
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    ..... For it to become reality, the fewer changes from the Gamo design the more realistic in getting a gun to market, methinks?
    I'd love to see a BSA'ed CFX.
    Which reminds me- they did that some years ago- the BSA Polaris!
    Might need to find one of those, but I dont think they ever were sold over here.

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    I'd have to agree with the Challenger style stock (but with adjustable comb?) and no Maxigrip, Pete.

End block I'm not so sure. Some Gamos have that Mercury-esque sloping insert held in by the trigger unit securing bolt. I'd be quite happy with that but with the insert made of blued steel. This arrangement would allow for less trepidation on stripping / rebuilding and no worries over the indexing of the securing nut inside the old Mercury / Airsporter block. A shorter sloping section would allow for more orthodox scope rail positioning too, so no need for "reach back" mounts as some people have to use on the older guns. For it to become reality, the fewer changes from the Gamo design the more realistic in getting a gun to market, methinks?
    I know the part you mean Tone, I tried fitting one to my Brocock Indy, which is pretty close to a Mercury/Gamo as you're going to get Xxx

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

I’ve largely ignored this as it’s clearly one of Thing-y’s wind-up threads, which I generally like.

Given the rapidly diminishing number of non-budget break-barrels, Tony’s idea of an improved Gamo sold as a BSA has merit. A sort of Riley/Wolseley/Van Den Plas to their usual Morris or Austin? But could they do it?

I think the most likely, though still unlikely, option would be for the Chinese to make a higher-quality gun based on their - pretty good - copies of the Diana 34, HW95, or (not a b/b) TX200.

If you want the mythical AA 12ft-lbs break-barrel, the People’s Best Airgun Factory of South-West Wuhan ought to be able to churn them out at around £250 MSRP.

Bolt the fake D34 or fake 95 front end on the action and stock of the fake TX200. Add some better QC and higher finish than standard Chinese. Job done.

It would totally kill the dying remnants of German Diana. It would have killed Umarex “Walther” springers, but they’ve just gone away anyway. And it would badly hurt HW, in particular, and AA.

It probably won’t happen, because the Chinese (and Turks and Gamo) will focus on what really sells globally - cheap plinkers and inexpensive 20-30 ft-lbs boomers.