Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Scope fitting

It is a problem I have helped customers with...probably a hundred times over the years

When optically centered the pellet should be ABOUT 2" low at 10 yards.
    Try this

You will find that yours is lower, which means sight line and barrel are diverging at the start. Trying to compensate is a lower.

Sort the problem out, don't try to mask it.

as already mentioned really.
    It happens from time to time.
    Double check your mounts first, then count how many clicks you have in total and put the setting in the middle.
    Put one or two shims under the rear of your scope which pushes your sight line down to meet the trajectory of the pellet.
    Do not over tighten the scope bolts or you could damage the scope.
    VAYA CON DIOS

Errol Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary C View Post
    It is a problem I have helped customers with...probably a hundred times over the years

When optically centered the pellet should be ABOUT 2" low at 10 yards.
    Try this

You will find that yours is lower, which means sight line and barrel are diverging at the start. Trying to compensate is a lower.

Sort the problem out, don't try to mask it.
    Excuse my ignorance but I ain't got a clue what you mean.
    Helpppp

Quote Originally Posted by Errol View Post
    Excuse my ignorance but I ain't got a clue what you mean.
    Helpppp
    He's referring to what I explained earlier. With a perfectly optically centred scope sat upon a perfectly straight rifle action/barrel, the sight line through the scope and bore line through the rifle would never converge.

So, imagine that instead of a bullet or pellet exiting the barrel you had beam of light, if the difference at the muzzle was one and one half inches then at 100 yards it would be the same.

The adjustments you are making to the elevation are to negate the affects of gravity and moving the arc of the pellet upwards until it intersects with your chosen zero but you first have to overcome the scope height differential.

In some situations you can end up with, (and, per Angrybear above you can successfully make use of), a second so called far zero.