Thread: Replacing Diana 54 breech seal

Replacing Diana 54 breech seal

I think I need to change the breech seal on my Diana 54. Can I do this without stripping the rifle in others experience or is it better to take it apart? Thx
    when there's lead in the air there's hope!

If you are sure it's knackered and needs changing, then I usually use a coarse thread wood screw to grip the seal and extract it.
    The only reason I suggest make sure it's knackered first is that you are likely to damage it in the process of extraction so ensure you have a replacement to hand or accept gun may be off the road until you get one delivered. By the way I think there may be different thicknesses so best check what type you need.
    Refitting is simply a case of gently pressing new seal into the port square on with gun cocked and safely held back by trigger and bear trap and then gently return home and let the barrel press the seal home for you.
    Dave

Thanks, I have had a vortek kit fitted recently and it ws shooting at full power but has dropped off. I was trying different pellets in it and found that some were a very loose fit in the long leade in the barrel and on a couple of occasions pellets fell out of the bore. I was watching this but I missed one and it got trapped in the transfer port and I suspect it has damaged the seal which is why I have lost pewr and get the odd erratic shot.

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyone View Post
    If you are sure it's knackered and needs changing, then I usually use a coarse thread wood screw to grip the seal and extract it.
    The only reason I suggest make sure it's knackered first is that you are likely to damage it in the process of extraction so ensure you have a replacement to hand or accept gun may be off the road until you get one delivered. By the way I think there may be different thicknesses so best check what type you need.
    Refitting is simply a case of gently pressing new seal into the port square on with gun cocked and safely held back by trigger and bear trap and then gently return home and let the barrel press the seal home for you.
    Dave
    Unfortunately Dave,
    I found the woodscrew trick doesn't work if the gun has the restrictor washer underneath the breech seal.
    So if the gun has a restrictor washer in place you have to strip the bugger down to change the breech seal.

All the best Mick

Thanks, It looks like I will have to strip it down. Had a quick go with the wood screw, but it is very difficult to get at and probably best to strip. It may be set up as Mick describes?

Breech seal

Quote Originally Posted by BWH View Post
    Thanks, It looks like I will have to strip it down. Had a quick go with the wood screw, but it is very difficult to get at and probably best to strip. It may be set up as Mick describes?
    Would you be able to provide some pictures of your procedure/repair & thanks?

Had to change this on mine.

Original seal has a 4mm hole the same size as the hole in the cylinder so you can't get on any part of it from the piston side.

Tr Robb sells a seal with a 3mm hole that makes it possible to use a 4mm rod to pop it out from the piston side.

Quote Originally Posted by Travis299 View Post
    Would you be able to provide some pictures of your procedure/repair & thanks?
    Will try to take some pics but there are a couple of good vids on You tube.