Thinking about HW rifles and how they are these days, in the late 70's for Christmas I had my heart set on a HW 35 in .177
as this was the calibre the magazines or should I say magazine was bigging up (no pun).My mam paid each week into a Christmas club for £60.
The metal detector /airgun shop ordered one in from HCC. On one visit to pay an instalment I saw a shiny HW 35 on display in the shop window.
That's yours the shop owner told me and I even got a chance to have a hold of it and he even let me shoot a couple of pellets through it.Christmas couldn't come quick enough. A lad I knew was getting a BSA Mercury in .177 ..Well the big day finally arrived ,(remember it was the 70's) lol we both stood side by side aiming at a 3 quarter inch piece of planed pine with a pen drawn dot on it at 35 foot or so . My first shot whacked the wood and left the skirt of the pellet protruding. The second shot, third and fourth did the same.Then it was the Mercury's turn,and straight away the first.177 went straight through.A fresh piece of exact timber was used and every shot went clean through,again my HW just stuck a pellet in .I was gutted I'd lost sleep sweating over this gun I put it back in the box .Anyway as soon as the shops opened after the holidays my dad took it in and swopped it for a Mercury for me,it was great.I shot loads with it and could hit spent shotgun cartridges with open sights at long ranges.Happy thoughts down memory lane,btw the BSA smelled as good as it looked ,that new gun smell......I wish I was 17 again :-)