Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1377 backpacker clone

1377 backpacker clone

Well i managed to finish my 1377 attempt at cloning my backpacker but with a few upgrades. Bought a steel crosman breech off jsr which by the way i will say is better than the gmach offering i have on my backpacker at present. Fitted a oversize cocking bolt i had made by an engineer in work for me. A 17" barrel, crosman stock, walnut backpacker cloned pump handle that i stained black to match the stock . I also fitted a brass silencer adapter i drilled out to fit the 17" barrel. Only thing left to do is fit the gmac brass trigger and its all done not as powerful as the backpacker but still fun for plinking.
    Last edited by WILBA; 07-03-2021 at 07:11 AM.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    good work. I really like the crosman steel breech too. Did you get the hidden screw version (screw sits under the bolt so as not to interupt pellet feed) ?

On power - it should be just as good. Does your valve have any nasty bleed holes ? You replaced the TP with some tube that actually seals I assume ?

I'm making an alli end plug/barrel band for mine when I get home, and switching it back to .177. I figure for plinking fps-per-pump will be better in .177 so I can get away with 4 pumps Power not really a consideration.

Rgds,
    JB
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    good work. I really like the crosman steel breech too. Did you get the hidden screw version (screw sits under the bolt so as not to interupt pellet feed) ?

On power - it should be just as good. Does your valve have any nasty bleed holes ? You replaced the TP with some tube that actually seals I assume ?

I'm making an alli end plug/barrel band for mine when I get home, and switching it back to .177. I figure for plinking fps-per-pump will be better in .177 so I can get away with 4 pumps Power not really a consideration.

Rgds,
    JB
    The only version jsr had was the front screw placement type jon but are much better than the gmac version. The blacking on the breech is better also. I fitted a fast flow port to it with seals both sides as when i left the seal out barrel side it must have leaked air out down the breech along barrel as power dropped so bad pellets bounced off wood rather than stuck in. . I will look at changing the valve next as it is the modern type with blow off holes. But to be fair concidering its.. 22cal the power aint bad. I went for a.. 22cal breech purerly because i had a . 22cal barrel spare off the backpacker when i converted it to.. 177cal last year so seemed a waste not to use up the barrel. Chris

These do make great rifles and certainly the lightest out there especially when you consider the power to weight they can offer. Like the 22XX series they are also very addictive but a great way to start learning about how airguns work.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by WILBA View Post
    I will look at changing the valve next as it is the modern type with blow off holes.
    perfect, it'll make a big difference. You could possibly plug with jb weld or something similar.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by ratbuster2240 View Post
    These do make great rifles and certainly the lightest out there especially when you consider the power to weight they can offer. Like the 22XX series they are also very addictive but a great way to start learning about how airguns work.

That's lovely.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

My 1377 "mini-carbine" is based on a 2009 version. Just the Crosman steel breech, shoulder stock and 4x32 scope. Left on standard barrel as it's only for short range use at home. Pellet on pellet accuracy. Love it. Wouldn't mind building a longer barrelled higher power version, but always been a little hesitant due to pistol origins....some say it's okay, some say, "once a pistol, always a pistol".

Always also fancied trying a flat top piston, mainly for the efficiency but also because the rod part is more heavy duty?

JB, what tubing do you normally use to ensure better TP sealing?
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

I see you've also discovered how accurate these are as carbines.

Just by Adding a 14.5 inch .22 Ratcatcher barrel makes a big difference in power. Then you can use the Ratcatcher in summer and Back Packer in winter.

Having said that a 1377 at short ranges is effective too. The only issue I have with flat top pistons is that the orings seem to wear very quickly, the standard cup holds up much better.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    My 1377 "mini-carbine" is based on a 2009 version. Just the Crosman steel breech, shoulder stock and 4x32 scope. Left on standard barrel as it's only for short range use at home. Pellet on pellet accuracy. Love it. Wouldn't mind building a longer barrelled higher power version, but always been a little hesitant due to pistol origins....some say it's okay, some say, "once a pistol, always a pistol".

Always also fancied trying a flat top piston, mainly for the efficiency but also because the rod part is more heavy duty?

JB, what tubing do you normally use to ensure better TP sealing?

some one suggest fitting the later hidden screw breech -to fit it you'll need to drill and tap the tube for the screw as 13xx tubes are only threaded for the normal front screw breech
    for a FTP o ring James i use a hnbr o ring on my uk kits though i do have some quad rings that i sent to mate in Can who likes them ,he has his PAL and shoots his backpacker at power above our limit and i think hits targets out to 100yds with it

Nice solution Ped I'll have to get some of those.

Quote Originally Posted by ratbuster2240 View Post
    I see you've also discovered how accurate these are as carbines.

Just by Adding a 14.5 inch .22 Ratcatcher barrel makes a big difference in power. Then you can use the Ratcatcher in summer and Back Packer in winter.

Having said that a 1377 at short ranges is effective too. The only issue I have with flat top pistons is that the orings seem to wear very quickly, the standard cup holds up much better.

I "mini-carbined" my 1377 back in 2009 and my first 2240 in about 2011. You're right. That 1377 is so, so accurate. As you'll be aware, you have to do your bit.....short barrel, totally standard trigger, very light weight and slippery-in-the-shoulder stock punishes even the slightest lapse in technique. Like a 1" flyer at 10 yards. However, get "in the zone" and get everything just right and it will print 5mm edge to edge groups at 10 yards. Yes, really.

I also have a 2240 and 1377 totally standard. But like to have one in standard guise. I'd love to build a longer barrelled 1377 based carbine, too. Or, maybe, a 2250 with steel breech but convert to .177. Once things get back to some sort of normality I ought to look at selling my least favourite gun (a Mercury) and embark on another Crosman mini-carbine project.

I "mini-carbined" my 1377 back in 2009 and my first 2240 in about 2011. You're right. That 1377 is so, so accurate. As you'll be aware, you have to do your bit.....short barrel, totally standard trigger, very light weight and slippery-in-the-shoulder stock punishes even the slightest lapse in technique. Like a 1" flyer at 10 yards. However, get "in the zone" and get everything just right and it will print 5mm edge to edge groups at 10 yards. Yes, really.

I also have a 2240 and 1377 totally standard. But like to have one in standard guise. I'd love to build a longer barrelled 1377 based carbine, too. Or, maybe, a 2250 with steel breech but convert to .177. Once things get back to some sort of normality I ought to look at selling my least favourite gun (a Mercury) and embark on another Crosman mini-carbine project.
    Change the front pump arm stock for a black one tony. Look much better matched up. Id post pics of my two if i was not a computer illiterate numpty. Chris

keeping a standard one stops you from having a mad moment and selling one you've spent so many hours on. It takes a while to get them just how you like.

Quote Originally Posted by WILBA View Post
    Change the front pump arm stock for a black one tony. Look much better matched up. Id post pics of my two if i was not a computer illiterate numpty. Chris
    Very good point, Chris.. Might well do at some point.

Very good point, Chris.. Might well do at some point.
    Have my new type one i took off you can have if you want it tony. Chris