Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mechanical advantage of Spring Guns vs Pneumatic pump airguns

Springers versus Pumpers

Surely the main advantage of the springer is that of consistency combined with a minimum of effort?

John

edbear2 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    https://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2019...reak-part-2-2/

You do the math.

Basically, with most regular 12ish ft-lbs pumpers, the major pump strokes once you get past the first 3 or 4 are each the rough equivalent work of cocking a fairly powerful springer. Even a typical Beeman R1 takes about 40 ft-lbs.
    Exactly why I had one once.........for about a week.......I personally like the look of some of the earlier USA ones, understand one at least of the (tenuous) advantages mooted about using indoors, but just cannot get my head around why anyone would bother with all the fiddle faddle and nasty plastic and roll pins (on ones I have been asked to repair at least).

Each to their own.......Mine is steel and walnut, quick pull on a barrel / lever....job done

ATB, Ed

Ssp is ok and was good enough for the 10 m scene, the lack of recoil offsets the generally low power output and effort needed to compress, compared to springers. Multi pumps are too much of a palaver compared to a good Springer or Ssp, never even considered one in the 45 odd years I've been into airguns. Too much work for very little return.
    The whizz bang of rapidly compressed air with a hint of a suitable hydrocarbon to warm things a bit further, works best for me😁

Had a american pumper in the 90's. Think it was a benjamin. Much harder to pump than a sharp innova for sure. Dont mind my backpacker&1377 for plinking but short sessions only. Rather a springer any day for longer sessions.