Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is there any practical reasons for walnut other than looks

Chippendale is offline Well stuff me, you live and learn.
    There are, according to Wikipedia,13 species of Beech tree.
    In my original post I was only stating that there are differences in weight and it varies from under forty to over forty lbs per cubic foot, I wasn't being argumentative just trying to be informative. I don't know which specie is used for gun stocks.

I have over thirty guns in my rack and without checking I think only four of them have Walnut stocks the rest are, I presume Beech, though some are stained a darker colour.
    I have worked with Beech, retired joiner, I still have some small pieces in my workshop, It was all steamed Beech though.

Chippendale (with clothes on)
    Last edited by Chippendale; 09-03-2021 at 02:38 PM. Reason: grammar

Quote Originally Posted by Barryg View Post
    I have no walnut guns and still like them but was wondering why so many rave about walnut, do I need one are there any advantages.
    For me it's down to the weight, Then the looks,

Quote Originally Posted by Barryg View Post
    So apart from looks it's weight thanks, are there any disadvantages to to beech?
    Yes....weight.

Beech is generally be a tougher wood. Can be lackluster in colour and oily patches can emerge that doesnt take stain well, if at all.

Cheaper than exptics but walnut can range from bland to stunning. Clearly the high grade stuff usually appears on high end shotties.
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill

Quote Originally Posted by Steyr View Post
    Yes....weight.

Beech is generally be a tougher wood. Can be lackluster in colour and oily patches can emerge that doesnt take stain well, if at all.

Cheaper than exptics but walnut can range from bland to stunning. Clearly the high grade stuff usually appears on high end shotties.
    I've got two examples in my guns that give truth to that, if I'm actually correct on the memory front.

I've got an AA400 that is definitely beech. 100% I've also got a TX200 HC that I think is walnut. Problem is, I bought it sometime in the early 00's and I don't remember for sure if I ordered walnut. I think I did but might not have but I wasn't really budget minded back then so I'd not likely bridle at paying another £50 or whatever it was for the walnut. And my point is, when I put the two side by side I don't see I really striking difference at all.

I looked the other week and thought I could have here one decent and one very good beech or alternatively it could be one decent beech and one bland walnut.

One thing is for sure, if it is walnut it will deter me from ever paying a premium unless I'm pointing out the one I want, like a lobster in a restaurant tank, rather than just taking the next one in line that the retailer hands out. And that obviously pretty much makes it a walk-in purchase over an internet-type one.

I find walnut easier to work with than some other woods(haven't tried Beech).
    It doesn't crack or splinter easily when you are inletting or shaping the stock.

I personally love the look of walnut on stocks has that more traditional look.

Weight wise by time you add a decent scope could you tell do you think unless given 2 rifles the same I doubt you would be able to tell.

However a nicely refinished beech stock remove varnish and stain then oil etc can be just as good looking.

Here couple of mine I've re finished both stocks myself so not perfect but still I'm happy with the results.

The cs500 obviously walnut and the 77 stock was dyed after fully stripping back and sanding.

https://youtu.be/Xcmpim3Xtdw

https://youtu.be/Sl6JxU3Cnrw

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    Quote Originally Posted by les allam View Post
    If the beech stock as the usual hard varnish type finish (most do) ,when scratched it shows. And is a bugger to repair.
    If walnut gets scratched it can be lightly sanded and re oiled and the damage is easier to repair and less evident.
    Les..
    The only disadvantage with walnut is possibly the cost,over the same beech style stock.
    But if you get a nice figured walnut stock,it’s worth it in my opinion.
    Agreed Les, in my experiance staining beech end grain always leads to a darker finish than the rest of the stock due to its ability to soak up the stain. This generally is a problem at the pistol grip and the fore end.
    I've never had the same effect staining or oiling walnut.
    “An airgun or two”………

Quote Originally Posted by Desmond.22 View Post
    I personally love the look of walnut on stocks has that more traditional look.

Weight wise by time you add a decent scope could you tell do you think unless given 2 rifles the same I doubt you would be able to tell.

However a nicely refinished beech stock remove varnish and stain then oil etc can be just as good looking.

Here couple of mine I've re finished both stocks myself so not perfect but still I'm happy with the results.

The cs500 obviously walnut and the 77 stock was dyed after fully stripping back and sanding.

https://youtu.be/Xcmpim3Xtdw

https://youtu.be/Sl6JxU3Cnrw
    What dye and finish did you use on the 77 stock? I have an mk1 80 stock i've sanded down ready for refinishing.

i normaly by walnut but this time went for laminate

barrel is offline Work is the refuge of people who have nothing better to do
    Of more manufacturers did not treat their beech stocks with that horrible lacquer I am sure they would sell even more over walnut.surely they could finish beech stocks in a way that made scratches easier to deal with?.

Kindest regards

Barrel
    IF I WALKED ON WATER PEOPLE WOULD SAY I COULD NOT SWIM !

For my money walnut is so much nicer than beech. A number of manufacturers seem to use beech stained to look like walnut but if you strip it the stock can be made to look a bit like maple but without the lovely grain.
    'It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others'.

Quote Originally Posted by Chippendale View Post
    Think it may depend on the Beech some Beech is a lot lighter than Walnut, some Beech is a lot heavier than Walnut.

Chippendale (with clothes on)
    Same with walnut thiugh. Huge colour variation.
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill

Both types of wood are quiet resistant to warping which is a good thing in stocks.
    I believe walnut is more resistant to fungal and bug damage too. Some walnut is as plain as a plank, the nicest pieces are from the bottom of the tree where the roots and trunk meet. The grain patterns in walnut can be stronger in the area around the wrist and all the inletting of shotgun stocks too if chosen carefully.
    Rust never sleeps !