Thread: Springers choked or not?

Springers choked or not?

As title really, looking at re-barrelling a TX200 and wondering whether to use a choked barrel or not...

Any efficiency gains from either system? Or I suppose more importantly any accuracy benefits?

I’m afraid I’m a bit out of my depth when it comes to these fine details and don’t have the money to be re-doing this project over and over again so all help appreciated. Thanks
    Slightly obsessed with Single Stroke Pneumatics
    Also making stocks over at Daviesbuilt gunstocks.

No efficiency gains, in fact you will lose a little power.

Big accuracy gains. If you have a barrel that is slightly tight somewhere other than the muzzle, a choke will mean it doesn't matter.

Get a choked barrel if you can.

Choked or unckhoked if its a quality barrel ive found theirs no real difference either type can be pellet fussy, it really is a myth that unchoked barrels are second best.

Dave.

I had always understood that, especially with barrels that are "less than perfect" and especially with those that may have tight spots at points along the bore, a choke would be beneficial. Only exhaustive scientific testing would reveal the true answers and I'd fully have to go with Dave's statement that, on a "good" barrel the choke should not matter?

I suppose the only way to truly know the answers would be to start with a choked barrel and gradually shorten / recrown and keep testing. But then you'd also be introducing other variables by reducing the length of the barrel, so that might not deliver the definitive answer also? And comparing two barrels,, supposedly identical, but one with and one without the choke isn't then comparing like with like. Erm........:
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- August 3/4, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by Black Beard View Post
    No efficiency gains, in fact you will lose a little power.

Big accuracy gains. If you have a barrel that is slightly tight somewhere other than the muzzle, a choke will mean it doesn't matter.

Get a choked barrel if you can.
    I agree with the learned Gentleman, while acknowledging DM's point that a perfectly parallel bore would not need a choke.

The TX barrel breech end has to be machined, threaded and pulled into slightly too small a hole by a nut; the tiniest squeezing of the breech end has the potential to make it the tightest section of barrel, as it indeed is with many production springers that have barrels swaged into the breech block. A choke ensures full peripheral contact between the pellet head and barrel lands as the pellet exits.

Quote Originally Posted by tomdavies9 View Post
    As title really, looking at re-barrelling a TX200 and wondering whether to use a choked barrel or not...

Any efficiency gains from either system? Or I suppose more importantly any accuracy benefits?

I’m afraid I’m a bit out of my depth when it comes to these fine details and don’t have the money to be re-doing this project over and over again so all help appreciated. Thanks
    You could do a lot worse than simply fitting a new AA barrel Tom .

Quote Originally Posted by BTDT View Post
    I agree with the learned Gentleman, while acknowledging DM's point that a perfectly parallel bore would not need a choke.

The TX barrel breech end has to be machined, threaded and pulled into slightly too small a hole by a nut; the tiniest squeezing of the breech end has the potential to make it the tightest section of barrel, as it indeed is with many production springers that have barrels swaged into the breech block. A choke ensures full peripheral contact between the pellet head and barrel lands as the pellet exits.
    When pushing pellets through springer barrels, one finds that the "tight breech syndrome" is all too common, even on guns we consider to be of high quality.
    Too many of our manufacturers brutally knurl or spline the barrel before press fitting them. Some are also distored by heat from brazing.

So the need for choke relies heavily on manufacturing processes- another reason to love the Webley Vulcan with its barrel glued in the breechblock.

I've been thinking about removing the barrels from some breakbarrels, and refitting them backwards to get the tight end at the muzzle. I know that it is usually recommended to fit barrels so you dont "shoot against the grain", because the rifling process may leave toolmarks that will cause the bore to foul quickly if you use them "backwards"- has anyone tried?

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by evert View Post
    When pushing pellets through springer barrels, one finds that the "tight breech syndrome" is all too common, even on guns we consider to be of high quality.
    Too many of our manufacturers brutally knurl or spline the barrel before press fitting them. Some are also distored by heat from brazing.

So the need for choke relies heavily on manufacturing processes
    totally agreed.

For a tx, with a generally thick barrel and a significantly reduced breech with threading etc where you cannot be sure of the effect on the bore with removing a good deal of material, I would indeed go for a choked barrel - but it only needs to be a mild choke. It's is a mk2, then defo choked, as you need to take a bit of the muzzle OD too and thread it (if you wish to use orginal weight).

Out of interest, what calibre are you looking for ?
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

keep your choking to shotguns where there meant to be! choking is designed to keep shotgun patterns tighter over distance

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    totally agreed.

For a tx, with a generally thick barrel and a significantly reduced breech with threading etc where you cannot be sure of the effect on the bore with removing a good deal of material, I would indeed go for a choked barrel - but it only needs to be a mild choke. It's is a mk2, then defo choked, as you need to take a bit of the muzzle OD too and thread it (if you wish to use orginal weight).

Out of interest, what calibre are you looking for ?
    Looking at a .177 or .20 calibre. Will be machining and firing myself so hopefully should avoid and harsh crimping at the breech end.
    Slightly obsessed with Single Stroke Pneumatics
    Also making stocks over at Daviesbuilt gunstocks.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    I had always understood that, especially with barrels that are "less than perfect" and especially with those that may have tight spots at points along the bore, a choke would be beneficial. Only exhaustive scientific testing would reveal the true answers and I'd fully have to go with Dave's statement that, on a "good" barrel the choke should not matter?

I suppose the only way to truly know the answers would be to start with a choked barrel and gradually shorten / recrown and keep testing. But then you'd also be introducing other variables by reducing the length of the barrel, so that might not deliver the definitive answer also? And comparing two barrels,, supposedly identical, but one with and one without the choke isn't then comparing like with like. Erm........:
    Nothing wrong with a choked barrel. The only issue with one on a spring gun is you cant choke it enough
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill

Quote Originally Posted by Steyr View Post
    Nothing wrong with a choked barrel. The only issue with one on a spring gun is you cant choke it enough
    Hee hee hee!

Hope you're keeping well, mister.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- August 3/4, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Hee hee hee!

Hope you're keeping well, mister.
    Yep. Saving up for a pipe cutter for choked springer barrels like in Cool Hand Luke
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill

I always understood choked ones are less pellet fuzzy. Which kinda makes sense I guess but not sure if its true.
    Many barrels seem to be 'choked', or better, narrowed, incidently cause of the way the front sight is fit.
    I have both choked and unchoked Webley barrels. Both can do fine accuracy wise but I find the unchoked more pelletfuzzy
    ATB,
    yana