Thread: Recommended pellets for LGR ssp

Errol Guest

Recommended pellets for LGR ssp

Hi all, I have just paid for a it Walther LGR ssp.
    I am not entering any competitions, or joining any clubs. As yet
    I will be looking for suitable pellets for this gun.
    Do I go wadcutter or diablo?
    What are the price in each category.
    Cheap, medium and quality ranges.
    Many thanks E

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.

pellets

When they were the gun of the day, we used RWS Meisterklugen (yellow tin) they are about still, but I'd just use the best match pellets, RWS R10, 8.2 gn, 4.50 mm would be a good choice.

With the cost of good match pellets being only £8 a tin of 500, its beyond me why any one wastes their time using cheap pellets!

The LGR at 50 years old is still a good rifle, my wife still has hers, given to her by the factory as a pre production prototype all those years ago.

Have Fun
    Robin
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?

Errol Guest
    Hi Robin I didn't realise they were so cheap Rws Meisterklugen only £6.99. 7 and 8.2 grain. Should I get both to try?
    Regards Michael

Errol Guest
    and R10 match.
    4.49 or 4.5 in the Meisterklugen?

RWS R10’s 4.49

Lgr

Oops, old age and time! Was 40 years old not 50! Can't remember exactly, but hers was the first LGR Junior.

We were invited to Walther in Ulm for a tour of the factory, the day after she had won the Ladies class in an International in that area of Southern Germany, (we think it was 1979 but not sure), she was asked at Ulm by a nice elderly gent why she did not use a Walther, and she gave him a list of several reasons, most around it was too physically big for her, and too difficult to load! We were then told that he was Carl Walther senior!

Several months later she was sent that rifle, a pre production LGR Junior, with different loading linkage, and of course a bit smaller, that she used extensively in Internationals, and never used any thing other than Walthers to this day, a relationship we have to this day, and we have many friends at Walther, and we both still use modern Walthers in air and small bore.

Her LGR we shortened the stock from standard, it had a load of lead in the hollow stock, to counterbalance the heavy action and barrel, is close to max weight, and because she did not like muzzle weight, she did not want the muzzle weight fitted, Walther wanted it to look the same as standard, so hers had an alloy muzzle weight!

I wander! Back to pellets, then Meisterklugelen were the top RWS pellet, they only came in 4.50 then! I doubt in something like the LGR it will make much difference 4.50 or 4.49 if any. You can try both, but unless you are world level you won't notice the difference, even if there was any!

Have fun
    Robin
    Last edited by RobinC; 10-03-2021 at 10:50 AM.
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?

LGR Set up

Having slept on it, I've remembered a lot more on LGR's, far more important than pellets, basically any good match pellet, such as RWS R10 8.2 gn in any size will do, all barrels are different even modern ones so either size may be the best for a particular one, but unless you are world level or have the test set up of the factory you won't know the difference.

BUT, as there is no pressure adjustment on the LGR, the breech block set up is critical. The breech seals do compress and can wear so replace them regularly, and set them up accurately. Too tight. they will blow open on firing, too loose, they will leak. I have told the correct procedure as I was shown by the factory techs back in the day on here before, and I thought I had a fact sheet on it , but I can't find it, so here goes again before I get too old and forget it!

Change the seals, then set the "fit" as follows. With the barrel held in a padded vice with the action up, loosen the barrel clamp allen screw, with the block closed, lift the action, and lower it down with its own weight. Then lightly nip the clamp (lightly!!!), then give a light tap with a soft mallet on the end of the action. I would call it a "calibrated tap" and to be learnt with experience. Then tighten the clamp screw, tight!

Then test, with a pellet in the gun, (its different with and with out a pellet) don't shoot yourself or your workshop! If the block blows open, its too tight, so do the whole lift, nip and tap, again. Place a soft tissue over the block and see if it moves with air, a significant movement, its too loose, so repeat the lift, nip and tap.

Fun game! I used to do that before every big shoot!

Have Fun
    Robin

Errol Guest
    Thanks Robin. Ordered Meisterklugen and some R10's today. I will check as per your instructions when it arrives.
    Regards Michael