just bought a smith and wesson 177 model 586 with a 4" barrel

what would be the best pellets heavy or light

Cheers

harvey_s is online now Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny2pilots View Post
    just bought a smith and wesson 177 model 586 with a 4" barrel

what would be the best pellets heavy or light

Cheers
    Lighter ones usually, but it's not going to make a huge difference .

The lighter the better on co2 pistols IMHO.

Geco, Hobby, H&N Econ II and Excite Hammer are all probably suitable for your 586; it depends on what you are shooting at as to whether you use flat or dome heads. I have just started experimenting with JSB RS dome head now the weather is warming up a bit and the co2 has a bit more 'poke'.
    Too many guns, or not enough time?

Quote Originally Posted by Modski66 View Post
    The lighter the better on co2 pistols IMHO.

Geco, Hobby, H&N Econ II and Excite Hammer are all probably suitable for your 586; it depends on what you are shooting at as to whether you use flat or dome heads. I have just started experimenting with JSB RS dome head now the weather is warming up a bit and the co2 has a bit more 'poke'.
    CO2 Match & Gecos are the best in my Wesson 8". Didn't like excite 2's at all - which surprised me.
    The Crosman 3576 isn't fussy at all.

ATB

Bru
    Webley Mk3 x2, Falcon & Junior rifles, HW35x2, AirSporter x2, Gold Star, Meteors x2, Diana 25. SMK B19, Webley Senior, Premier, Hurricane x 2, Tempest, Dan Wesson 8", Crosman 3576, Legends PO8.

Ive got an S&W co2 .177 the pellets travel so slowly that on a bright sunny day I can watch them travel to the target and then make the appropriate corrections to hit it.

I will be doing some pellet testing soon once I have finished machining the barrel to go with the 8" shroud I bought recently.
    Hoping for some good results as the barrel originally came from an Aeron B96 target pistol.

It will be very disappointing if I can watch the pellets fly!

Quote Originally Posted by Hector View Post
    Ive got an S&W co2 .177 the pellets travel so slowly that on a bright sunny day I can watch them travel to the target and then make the appropriate corrections to hit it.
    At least they get out the barrel - not always the case with my DW 8" if you use the 'wrong' pellets

Atb,

Bru
    Webley Mk3 x2, Falcon & Junior rifles, HW35x2, AirSporter x2, Gold Star, Meteors x2, Diana 25. SMK B19, Webley Senior, Premier, Hurricane x 2, Tempest, Dan Wesson 8", Crosman 3576, Legends PO8.

That is a scary thought, I might be glad to see the pellet flying at any speed rather than find it stuck down the bore!

Whew! I need not have worried, they fly out just fine!

Will do some fps checks when I get some spare time.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    I found the balance really nice on the S&W with a 4" barrel, and not bad, but a bit front heavy with a 6" - so I reckon the 8" will be very front heavy - how do you find it ?
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

PM

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    I found the balance really nice on the S&W with a 4" barrel, and not bad, but a bit front heavy with a 6" - so I reckon the 8" will be very front heavy - how do you find it ?
    John sent you a pm regarding another matter but your inbox is full

The 8" configuration is very front heavy, but it helps tame the substantial recoil.
    Anyway, 6" with 7 grain pellets has an average of 340 fps, and with the 8" barrel I got an average of 443 fps.
    Some of the difference is due to the extra length, but I made the gap between the magazine and the breech as tight as possible; the 6" barrel is not so tight, so I suspect some co2 loss here.
    My plan is to trim the shoulder on the 6" to tighten up the gap; more testing to be done...