Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 12g slug testing

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters

12g slug testing

I've made a batch and they look very nice! I need to do a control shoot tomorrow so thought I'd let a few of these off just to see what happens, but I am a little trepidatious.

The slugs themselves are smaller than the bore and will be fired as a sabot in the cartridge's shot cup, when the slugs are pushed into the carts they are a snug fit and they don't rattle around, nor do they press the cartridge walls out. Also I will be using the cylinder choke initially, possibly the half choke just to see if it makes a difference to grouping at close range.

The cartridge is a 2 1/2", the slug is 27g and the gun is steel proofed and rated 3" magnum.

Am I missing anything! Is there something else I need to check before handing it off to someone else and saying 'Here, try this"?

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    I've made a batch and they look very nice! I need to do a control shoot tomorrow so thought I'd let a few of these off just to see what happens, but I am a little trepidatious.

The slugs themselves are smaller than the bore and will be fired as a sabot in the cartridge's shot cup, when the slugs are pushed into the carts they are a snug fit and they don't rattle around, nor do they press the cartridge walls out. Also I will be using the cylinder choke initially, possibly the half choke just to see if it makes a difference to grouping at close range.

The cartridge is a 2 1/2", the slug is 27g and the gun is steel proofed and rated 3" magnum.

Am I missing anything! Is there something else I need to check before handing it off to someone else and saying 'Here, try this"?

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
    freshly cast bullets always looks lovely......used sabots in .308 but not sure about shotguns

Taoflederbum

Not many people have got a 12 bore air rifle lol. They look very good, rather different to the usual slug.
    And then an ice hockey game broke out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0woZ...layer_embedded
    son got MOM in world championships: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoCcYwNJxv4

Do not think for a second that a sold slug will behave exactly the same as shot during the peak pressure of the firing sequence. 12 bore in itself is a relatively low pressure cartridge and slight variations in load formulas can give vastly different pressures, when all other things are equal. Even a change in wad can cause dramatic effect. Exactly why shotgun loading manuals are massive, relatively!

I'm presuming the ingots you have are recently cast? Are they pure lead? The slug appears lop sided, butbthat could be the effect of the camera.

I've just seen your post on another thread. You're using range scrap and just going going to replace the shot of a factory cartridge with the slugs you've cast?

Do not. You are posing a massive risk to yourself and anyone around you.

Buy a shotgun loading manual. A proper one such as Lyman. Then get too it. Slug shooting can be great fun and casting and loading even more so. But your current approach is dangerous.

Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    Make sure you are insured before you give any reloads to another shooter.
    Otherwise, have fun yourself and let them buy commercial slug.
    Good deals with: Muskett, Dreben, roger.kerry, TALL, Helidave1, Chelseablue, Leeroy7031, Mousemann, pnuk, Practical, NEWFI, HOOGS, Webb22, lazybones1416 and deanw5262 among others. Thanks Guys.

I am using range lead, it has been de-skanked including wax flux. The lead is soft and easily marked with a nail. The slugs are perfectly symmetrical and the design is "supposed" to be squishy and is made to work through choked barrels.

I haven't fired any and will trawl the internet for loading data before I do. I have powders and can change the type/amount if needed.

It is common practice here to pop slugs into shot carts, or pour wax in the top amongst the older generation. But then they do delight in making stuff go bang!

Quote Originally Posted by loiner1965 View Post

Thanks, the lyman slug is 34g and the lowest powder charge is 25gr for 1273fps. My slug is a shade under 28g and the powder charge in the shell is an unknown type at 19gr.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TU3ESQl2-io
    you can tell your in france lol........its grains not grams

Quote Originally Posted by loiner1965 View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TU3ESQl2-io
    you can tell your in france lol........its grains not grams

I'm mixing them aren't I!?

The slugs are 430gr and the powder charge is 19gr, ideally I want subsonic but is that too low?
    I know with the 9mm the danger from too low a charge is the bullet staying in the barrel and the next one following it up, but when you are single loading and checking this should be less of a risk. The big question is would the pressure spike if the slug failed to leave the barrel?

All hypothetical til I find out more numbers

My own view is that modern shotguns made with modern steels are pretty difficult to damage. Weld up the muzzle and you will probably blow the end off your gun. Some yankie u toob vids are of people putting 20 bore carts in a 12 bore (rem pump I think) and couldn't do any damage to it all. I have been using slugs and any number of improvised projectiles including hand grenades, (in the middle east) and not yet managed to blow up a gun. We bruised a few shoulders though!

Whilst I wouldn't recommend doing any of the silly things that we did in the desert to anyone else, I also wouldn't tell them not to do it either provided that they don't put others at risk.
    [I]DesG
    Domani e troppo tardi

I home-made some slugs using de-shotted 28g carts. I had different slugs, hollow base and 'rifled' brenneke. The former would fit nicely into the plastic wad but the latter would not but they had a plastic base on them anyway and I have an antique roll crimp device to finish them off. So I went to my club and shot them at 50yds. They all shot 4-5" groups plus I had some factory Gecko which also shot similar groups. This was from my Armasan RS-S1 imp cyl with a red dot, freehand elbow on bench. I also had the opportunity to try them at 80-100m and they all grouped 6-7".