Thread: A possible game changer - Slugs for sub12 rifles - short review

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    very interesting - thanks for sharing.

if the ballistics are decent, trajectory shouldn't be much worse than a 8.4 grain JSB....

Have they any plans for a .22 version ? Something around 16 grains should work nicely..
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

As always the price will be the determinant of how the market receives them. The fact that they are 'hand made' means nothing to most of us. My understanding is that at below the speed of sound the best shape for a projectile is the diabolo.
    I have read extensive reviews of the FX hybrid and although I'm sure they work well when used in guns like the FX Impact the price is eye watering. I remain to be convinced that an airgun projectile whatever the shape should cost more than an entire .22LR match round.
    'It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others'.

Quote Originally Posted by Rapidnick View Post
    As always the price will be the determinant of how the market receives them. The fact that they are 'hand made' means nothing to most of us. My understanding is that at below the speed of sound the best shape for a projectile is the diabolo.
    I have read extensive reviews of the FX hybrid and although I'm sure they work well when used in guns like the FX Impact the price is eye watering. I remain to be convinced that an airgun projectile whatever the shape should cost more than an entire .22LR match round.
    I think the performance, rather than the price, will dictate how the market receives them.

Regarding the understanding of a diablo pellet being better under the speed of sound, we'll have to see I guess. At the minute, all other slugs are significantly heavier. A lot of thought has gone into this one regarding the combination of the drag in the barrel vs adequate sealing. This is proven with the muzzle velocities and energies it produces.

As a slug of this weight has never been made up to now, this may change that understanding.

No one's going to force anyone to try these, whenever the cost is confirmed, but if I had to bet my money on it, I'd say they'll sell.

I have no financial interest in these, or the company that makes them. I've simply been lucky enough to be able to test them
    B.A.S.C. member

slugs

very interesting read up I look forward to hearing when these come available to purchase

Wonder how well they'd work through a smooth twist barrel? Tempted to get some & try.

Quote Originally Posted by SuffolkRifle View Post
    Wonder how well they'd work through a smooth twist barrel? Tempted to get some & try.
    They've not been tested in FX rifles yet.

Rifles now tested and good with these
    BSA Ultra
    AA S400
    Edgun Leshiy 1
    Theoben Elan
    Artemis P15
    B.A.S.C. member

Quote Originally Posted by robs5230 View Post
    They've not been tested in FX rifles yet.

Rifles now tested and good with these
    BSA Ultra
    AA S400
    Edgun Leshiy 1
    Theoben Elan
    Artemis P15
    Normally, I use JSB 4.53 Exacts (8.44 gr), which are within 15mm at 25 yards with both our STs (Typhoon & Vermy mk1) and 4.52 for the Walther barreled ones (Cyclone & Typhoon), but always tempted to try something new.

Quote Originally Posted by some bloke View Post
    I've just found this thread and its sparked an interest. I run an FAC BTAS FX Cyclone carbine - currently regulated to 26 ftlbs at its highest power setting - with 15 and 20 ftlb settings also available using 16 gn 5.52mm diablo's.

I've been under the impression slugs have to be used with a barrel liner but I see no reference to one in this thread?

I'm looking for it to do a few more yards at ground game, increasing effective range towards what could be expected from a .22LR - without replacing the barrel.

If your sponsor wants a volunteer for FAC .22 trials - privately or otherwise assuming the standard barrel can be used I'd be very pleased to jump the queue to acquire that capability. I use recordable night vision and would be happy to video results on rabbits.
    well they shoot 40gn @ 100ftlb so I think you're dreaming

As for the OP, I shot the FX hybrid .25 through my scorpion sub 12 very accurate but ME of under 10fpe, I suspect due to friction, as diabolo pellets the same weight were giving 11.7fpe.

Expansion tests are worth squat, unless the ballistic gel is out at the range your target will be shooting gel 6" from the muzzle is as much use as tits on a fish.