Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: A possible game changer - Slugs for sub12 rifles - short review

Quote Originally Posted by mdunn View Post
    Is there a need for a sub 12 slug, Plus they won’t be cheap.Atb mick
    Whether we need a sub12 slug is very different to whether folk want a sub12 slug.
    I guess the proof of the pudding, will be in the eating Mick.

Comp shooters spend thousands on rigs, and I'm pretty sure if they even thought something would give them any kind of advantage, the cost wouldn't be a problem.
    Saying that, I'm informed they will be competetive with other similarly produced slugs.

The key with this one, is the 10.5g weight, which brings it in line with the JSB Heavy, which is a popular pellet. This means shooters get at least an acceptable trajectory (and likely better due to an increased BC) due to a familiar muzzle velocity.
    Other slugs out there, to my knowledge are significantly heavier, so compromising muzzle velocity, to keep with sub12 power levels (if they can make acceptable power).
    B.A.S.C. member

Quote Originally Posted by bighit View Post
    Hope Rob does not mind.

Here is the pics Rob posted elsewhere.
    Not at all.
    Thanks
    B.A.S.C. member

Quote Originally Posted by Rapidnick View Post
    As always the price will be the determinant of how the market receives them. The fact that they are 'hand made' means nothing to most of us. My understanding is that at below the speed of sound the best shape for a projectile is the diabolo.
    I have read extensive reviews of the FX hybrid and although I'm sure they work well when used in guns like the FX Impact the price is eye watering. I remain to be convinced that an airgun projectile whatever the shape should cost more than an entire .22LR match round.
    I think the performance, rather than the price, will dictate how the market receives them.

Regarding the understanding of a diablo pellet being better under the speed of sound, we'll have to see I guess. At the minute, all other slugs are significantly heavier. A lot of thought has gone into this one regarding the combination of the drag in the barrel vs adequate sealing. This is proven with the muzzle velocities and energies it produces.

As a slug of this weight has never been made up to now, this may change that understanding.

No one's going to force anyone to try these, whenever the cost is confirmed, but if I had to bet my money on it, I'd say they'll sell.

I have no financial interest in these, or the company that makes them. I've simply been lucky enough to be able to test them
    B.A.S.C. member

Quote Originally Posted by robs5230 View Post
    Not at all.
    Thanks
    Your welcome.

Interesting, if they prove as accurate as quality diablo pellets at 25yds and are better in the wind the BR boys might have a look...
    If it works out to 45yds taking less wind the HFT boys might have a play...and if it carries on further who is to say the FT boys won't have a go too??

Rich.
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)

Quote Originally Posted by averageplinker View Post
    Interesting, if they prove as accurate as quality diablo pellets at 25yds and are better in the wind the BR boys might have a look...
    If it works out to 45yds taking less wind the HFT boys might have a play...and if it carries on further who is to say the FT boys won't have a go too??

Rich.
    At 25 yards they're producing tiny single holes.
    Not sure how they'd be scored at bench rest. They make a hole smaller than the diameter of the slug on paper / card

Really looking forward to pushing them out further
    B.A.S.C. member

I wish one of the manufacturers would produce a lead free slug. I have used H&N FTT Green (.22, 10 grains) for sub-12 hunting with great success. Lead free would probably allow a 15 or 16 grain .22 slug which could be perfect for sub 12 ft lb.

No need for hollow points as they would never expand at these low velocities (even the softer lead doesn't anyway, unless it's against soap bars or ballistic gel)

Quote Originally Posted by bill57 View Post
    I wish one of the manufacturers would produce a lead free slug. I have used H&N FTT Green (.22, 10 grains) for sub-12 hunting with great success. Lead free would probably allow a 15 or 16 grain .22 slug which could be perfect for sub 12 ft lb.

No need for hollow points as they would never expand at these low velocities (even the softer lead doesn't anyway, unless it's against soap bars or ballistic gel)
    I've long thought the same thing. It seems obvious to me to use the heavyweight pellet/ammo designs like slugs for the lead free alternative with its lighter material weight...
    when there's lead in the air there's hope!

The hollow point fulfills 2 functions
    Firstly in terms of sub12 slugs, it allows the overall weight to be reduced, from what would otherwise be a prohibitive weight. Done properly, it doesn't affect flight or accuracy.
    Secondly, the expansion. I can assure you that expansion happens at sub12 velocities in .177

I can't comment on .22 slugs as I haven't tried them
    B.A.S.C. member

Quote Originally Posted by robs5230 View Post
    I can assure you that expansion happens at sub12 velocities in .177
    In what media, and at what distance from the muzzle?

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    In what media, and at what distance from the muzzle?
    covered in first post - bucket of water.

I think though that lead free .22 would have trouble expanding at 12 FP, as it's a much harder material. But the just make it round nose - the weight saving is aceived through the alloy rather than the HP.

Same with a roundnose, lead free .177 - weight should be around 9-10 grains, great for HFT if the ballistics are good.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Buckets of water are great for demonstrating expansion, but (IMO) bear little resemblance to real life scenarios. As kids we used to fire pellets backwards into jelly cubes to see the "mushroom" effect, and when Beeman Silver Bears arrived we thought this was going to be the best thing ever - as long as the rabbits were made of plasticine, anyway.

What you've said is echoing my thoughts, ditch the hollow point, make the slug solid and from a lighter material to get a realistic sub-12 weight and hope that the improved BC is going to be the winning factor.

Slugs

Tried to wade through it all but have I missed? What are the slugs made of?
    When I die don't let my wife sell my guns for what she thinks I gave for them!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Dunkley View Post
    Tried to wade through it all but have I missed? What are the slugs made of?
    Just lead
    B.A.S.C. member

Every one wants more bang for their buck these days me being one of them. There are some slugs out there that some of my Sub 12s like and some that they do not like naturally the heavier they are the less distance they travel which is common sense.

I shoot a mixture of Fac and Sub 12 but lean towards Sub 12:these days. I would love to see a slug that works well with Fac and Sub 12 which would be like finding the holy grail is suppose.

Good luck with the testing I truly hope it works out.