Page 45 of 47 FirstFirst ... 354344454647 LastLast

Thread: 26th and 27th June 2021 BOINGER BASH

Makes them last longer too, Jon. Nothing wrong with getting your money's worth.. Have you given one the Mohican treatment yet?
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Makes them last longer too, Jon. Nothing wrong with getting your money's worth.. Have you given one the Mohican treatment yet?
    I tried, but it was more of a lobotomy
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Excellent.

Garden plinking sesh scheduled in for Friday. Open sights methinks.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

flyingfish is offline I may only have 5 but I have the best 5
    Been pinged!! Garden plinking is all I've got till Monday
    Pete

Sorry to hear that, Pete. However, "every cloud......" and all that.. Can you do some of your work from home anyway? Make the most of the opportunity with that garden plinky time.

Conversely (and sorry to rub it in, although it doesn't happen often enough for me), I'm off for a few days and was set to have a garden sesh tomorrow but I hesitated not when the wife asked if I wanted to go to Brian Samson's range instead.. Marvellous. Slot duly booked. Can't wait.

I work from home normally Tone
    I was one of the lucky ones all set up before lockdown 1
    Pete

You lucky, lucky man.

So everyday can be a plinkyday?

Only after 5 lol. I rarely plink in the garden. Normally just when I zeroing a scope or testing a gun.
    Pete

Ooh, as said before, Pete, if your garden set-up allows, a nice lower-powered rifle (like a 30S) or a pistol would make the ideal companion for short range therapy.

So, for today's visit to Brian's I've decided to take my .22 Mark I HW77 in the synthetic thumbhole stock that the lovely Boingerpeeps chipped in and gifted me a few years ago. It was a toss-up between this and a 30S. Going to do some pellet testing. Having always been happy with (and stubbornly loyal!) 'Domes in the past, a brief session in the garden last Summer showed up a preference for FTT and JSB Jumbo RS over the 'Domes. So I'll take all three of those plus some Air Arms Fields and do a 25 yards test.

I'll also be clutching my new "ammo / tool box" in the form of a 12" Stanley tool box, acquired for the princely sum of £6.00 from Wilko's yesterday. It'll make it far easier for getting up the stairs to Bri's range, rather than holding the 77 in one hand and four tins of pellets in the other, and will also make life much easier for pellet and bits-and-bobs transportation to future Bashes.

Hope you had a good time on the range Tony
    My .22 springers prefer RS to anything else. Likewise my .22 PCPs prefer the 16 grain jsb. Even though according to the owners manuals the mfr was set up for FTT and the 310 premiers
    Pete

Yep, had a lovely time Pete, thank you.

Torrential showers yesterday, very windy and there were huge puddles and "mini-floods" on the way, but all was nice, dry, still and serene under Brian's roof. It really is a top place and you meet some nice people too, including a further two 77/97 fans yesterday.

Your observation re the pellet suitability for the 15.9 vs 13.4 would tie in with common acceptance. And would generally be the case with power output. I started with the 'Domes that I'd used for years. One exceptional tight little one-holer but other groups slightly larger. The 15.9 AAF weren't so hot. Jumbo RS and FTT very close, but I judged the FTT to take the honours. So switched to them for the rest of the session. Adjusted the zero. Once the planets aligned (more like I got more into the zone and the barrel leaded in) I was consistently rewarded with tight little one-holers, measuring just under 10mm edge-to-edge. I wonder if those groups would be smaller still with more mag, as these were achieved with a basic Hawke Sport HD 4x32 non-AO? Or does your brain "automatically centre-ing" overcome any lack of greater detail? Not that I'll try; I'm more than happy with the results achieved.

Quote Originally Posted by GrandadG View Post

And a little extra BOING and colour for the page.

Making the most of my time indoors by oiling the mfr stock. Now shooting sweetly at 11.6 with 5fps variation on a 5 shot string yesterday. The dealer got the original fault fixed with a regulator service and I replaced the collapsed hammer spring.
    Pete

Sounds like top use of your isolation time, Pete.