Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What tuning kit have you in your TX200

What tuning kit have you in your TX200

I have had my second hand TX200 for about 10 years, and have never stripped or tuned it. I moved to Spain with work for 3 years and left my rifle at home with a friend that had kept it in his garage. On my return I collected said rifle and it was in a sorry state (bluing had started to pit and rust spots).

I will be sending the barrel away to be reblued, but on its return what in you opinion is the best tuning kit for this rifle. I stripped it down yesterday and it is standard, with the exception that I could find or see the top hat ?????

I have read and watched a few videos / blogs regarding different drop in kits, do they all do the same thing?

Rifle was chronographed when I first got it at Tony’s Camo Chester back in the day, and it’s sub 12 legal, and I obviously want it to remain that way.

So what are people’s thoughts about

1) no top hat in the rifle now - is that wrong?
    2) best drop in kit for the TX and why?

Thanks in advance

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    The world is the mollusc of your choice with kits, but the missing top hat probably isn't!

The TX is famous for getting it's top hat stuck in the piston with grease, if repeated energetic hammering the latchrod down onto a suitable wooden block doesn't shift it then we need "plan b"!

Take a small piece of paper and fold it in half a few times until you have a piece maybe 1.5cm long, fold it into a U shape and loop it over the edge of your spring, push the spring onto the top hat, the restricted inner diameter your spring now has should mean it will grip the top hat better, twist and pull out gently.

If that doesn't work we'll need "plan c", but we'll burn this ridge when we get to it.

Short stroke tuning kit from the man above. It's a piece of piss to fit, and makes the rifle absoloutely sublime. Easily my favourite springer I've used.

https://www..com/store/tx200-hc-pros...-tuning-kit-2/

For the price he makes kits for, I can't be bothered to turn the lathe on. Great stuff.
    And day by day and dauntingly, Our anger does increase. While you ruin us through ignorance,
    How can we keep our peace?

Thank you gentlemen, will strip down TX later today.

Finding top hat is priority and the tip regarding paper is a bloody good one, cheers.

To be honest it was down to 2 for the tuning kit, but having watched a number of videos and receiving a reply from Nick then for me it’s a no brainer, Tinbut kit it’s going to be.

Cheers

Yep, go with Nick's kit, guidance and excellent service on this one and you'll not go wrong.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    is your TX a MK2 (lots of clicks on the bear trap ratchet), or a MK3 (just 3 clicks) ?

If it's a mk2, it needs very little.. just pick a kit that replaces the heavy steel top hat with a light delrin one, and off you go.

If it's a mk3, you should shorten the stroke.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    is your TX a MK2 (lots of clicks on the bear trap ratchet), or a MK3 (just 3 clicks) ?

If it's a mk2, it needs very little.. just pick a kit that replaces the heavy steel top hat with a light delrin one, and off you go.

If it's a mk3, you should shorten the stroke.
    Hi, I trust I am not hijacking here but am after confirmation. I believe the MK2 usually has 3 notches evenly spaced on the compression tube but the Mk3 has 3 but not evenly spaced. There is a tube with 4 notches which is described as a 'low power' one by Knibbs.... indeed I have seen one of these on an SR but it was not 'low power'.

Cheers, Phil

I have a mk3 Tx with a mk2 spring and wonky donkey piston extension for stroke reduction and a delrin top hat.
    I have also used one of Tinbums piston extension on my hw98 for stroke reduction and it made a big difference in shot feel.
    Les..

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    Quote Originally Posted by spboden View Post
    I have had my second hand TX200 for about 10 years, and have never stripped or tuned it. I moved to Spain with work for 3 years and left my rifle at home with a friend that had kept it in his garage. On my return I collected said rifle and it was in a sorry state (bluing had started to pit and rust spots).

I will be sending the barrel away to be reblued, but on its return what in you opinion is the best tuning kit for this rifle. I stripped it down yesterday and it is standard, with the exception that I could find or see the top hat ?????

I have read and watched a few videos / blogs regarding different drop in kits, do they all do the same thing?

Rifle was chronographed when I first got it at Tony’s Camo Chester back in the day, and it’s sub 12 legal, and I obviously want it to remain that way.

So what are people’s thoughts about

1) no top hat in the rifle now - is that wrong?
    2) best drop in kit for the TX and why?

Thanks in advance
    I'll just give you another option to think about I am not saying that there is anything wrong with the plastic kits but if you go for short stroke it won't be as easy to cock and a lot of TX owners complain about having to yank the cocking lever to get the safety to engage, I found that having a precision one piece steel guide solved this.

I find that my Mk3 shoots superb and Mk3's have won world championships so can't be bad

It is more expensive to have a steel guide made up to fit a Mk3 spring but it will last the lifetime of the gun and never let you down, just pick someone who knows what they are doing to make up a kit.
    Here is a picture of the kit that I have in my TX that Steve Pope made and tested for me about 15 years ago, he also sent me a choice of seals and I went for the green one. Anyway JMO and I know a lot on here disagree but it works for me

My MK1 just has a vmach piston seal apart from that it's all standard bar the stock
    them there springer's are soooooo addictive

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    My Prosport (almost the same internals) has a Welsh Willy tuning kit and a Vortek O ring piston head conversion.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

tx tuning kit

I have a wonky donky drop in kit in mine, very quick and accurate. He also done a full works tune on
    my hw 95. Love these guns.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Russell View Post
    Hi, I trust I am not hijacking here but am after confirmation. I believe the MK2 usually has 3 notches evenly spaced on the compression tube but the Mk3 has 3 but not evenly spaced. There is a tube with 4 notches which is described as a 'low power' one by Knibbs.... indeed I have seen one of these on an SR but it was not 'low power'.

Cheers, Phil
    not really mate.. the confusion comes from notches there are, vs what you can see thru the loading port

Mk3 has 3, non evenly spaced

MK2 has approx 8, evenly spaced (same as SR mk2)

SO just cock the gun and count the clicks (unless it's been nose extended or otherwise short stroked)
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Tbt kits all day long. Fitted to all my springers and quality customer service included.
    Air Arms HFT 500. HW100 FSB. HW99 (.22) HW99 (.177) HW30 (.177) HW97K (.177) Gamo GX40 (.22)

TX tuning kits

My four run VMach items. No surprise really. Mach 1.5