Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: What tuning kit have you in your TX200

The first skirtless one I did successfully, was in a 77 I did, ( a few will have shot that at the Springer bash's)that had a fixed guide to support the latch rod as Dan mentioned, however the guide added a lot of friction and I ended up with a short bronze bush in either end that helped . It works in the 77 because the trigger block is accurately screw cut and concentric. Try it in the tx ( I have ) and the trigger block has too much clearance in the action, once the retaining bolt is tightened it pulls the block and the guide out of line by enough to lock the piston, I ended up buttoning the trigger block and machining it concentric to the guide to make it a good fit , a lot of work for a piston that once it's long enough to make the weight robs too much spring room, I really tried to make it work ( this was all before the kits mentioned by tinners came about) so it's full pistons all the way for me, Though as Phill says it makes spring choice difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by cooper_dan View Post
    Anschutz made one of the best springers going with a skirtless piston and using the latch rod for support. Its not that hard if the tolerances/design/build quality are done right
    aye .

any body up for a redesign re-engineer of the tx guide and trigger housing ?
    Last edited by hmangphilly; 06-05-2021 at 08:15 AM.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by hmangphilly View Post
    aye .

full body piston is easier
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

aye .

Its only the outside diameter that causes the problem , but not a problem if you use the od to locate the guide , and make the guide bore clearance , oh yes like aa do , full piston the way to go of course , but spring supply is drying up for 21mm, might have to go to 22mm,
    On another note ,I am fiddling with a 24mm tune for the tx on the same lines as JB'S 80 tune , steel piston 97 spring etc , but with the magic piston ring , its making a whole fpe more at the same spec as my o ring at the moment so encouraging.

Quote Originally Posted by NickG View Post
    Its only the outside diameter that causes the problem , but not a problem if you use the od to locate the guide , and make the guide bore clearance , oh yes like aa do , full piston the way to go of course , but spring supply is drying up for 21mm, might have to go to 22mm,
    On another note ,I am fiddling with a 24mm tune for the tx on the same lines as JB'S 80 tune , steel piston 97 spring etc , but with the magic piston ring , its making a whole fpe more at the same spec as my o ring at the moment so encouraging.
    you know it makes sense mate .

aye .

23mm works great on the TX too, as you can just use the stock piston and turn it down a bit - obvously this also applies to 24 but clearly not to a 22 ! Wall thickness means 24 on a tx means using your custom comp tube, but 23mm is (cheaply) sleevable...

Using the factory piston saves a load of work, and spring choice is huge - the stock mk3 spring should work fine in fact. If you wanted to be ultra lazy, you could even leave the mk3 piston rod. With the new piston head, you'll shave a few mm off the factory 98mm stroke. Obviously less would be better, but it'll still shoot way better than even a mk2 (25mm x 83), never mind a mk3. All you need is the sleave and a new seal / oring head. CHEAP TUNES R US
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

My 24 mm is a home made tube ,from 30 X 24 seamless tube, it's got a revised breech arrangement, with 3 mm trans port, a modded tx piston body with an ally nose to carry the unobtonium piston ring, 80 mm stroke no idea of piston weight , Hw 97 spring with 15 mm preload, 11.3fpe with 8.4 & 11.4 fpe with 7.9, feels very nice so it's in a target stock ready to test at the range tomorrow 🤞

My 24 mm is a home made tube ,from 30 X 24 seamless tube, it's got a revised breech arrangement, with 3 mm trans port, a modded tx piston body with an ally nose to carry the unobtonium piston ring, 80 mm stroke no idea of piston weight , Hw 97 spring with 15 mm preload, 11.3fpe with 8.4 & 11.4 fpe with 7.9, feels very nice so it's in a target stock ready to test at the range tomorrow ��
    yeah, sounds loverly. I'd be tempted to tickle out that port to 3.2, but presumably you've tried ? Unless the piston is over 200g, but that seems unlikely.

So shot it today on a field target course, very nice shot cycle, can see the pellets land and accurate,( that's down to the barrel) liked it .
    Then shot my 21 mm target gun , and like night and day easier cocking less sight picture movement and recoil, hit more targets, just easier to shoot accurately. So the 24 mm while very good will stay on the subs bench , keep trying but can't better the 21 mm . Next up I have a spare 21 set up been experimenting with shortened the stroke till the power drops off, then tune the piston weight and port to suit , see what that's like all good fun 🙄

So shot it today on a field target course, very nice shot cycle, can see the pellets land and accurate,( that's down to the barrel) liked it .
    Then shot my 21 mm target gun , and like night and day easier cocking less sight picture movement and recoil, hit more targets, just easier to shoot accurately. So the 24 mm while very good will stay on the subs bench , keep trying but can't better the 21 mm.
    right that's it. I'm going to do a 20.5mm

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    Hoy stop that .

I keep threatening to do 21.5 cos we cant decide between 21 and 22

Then shot my 21 mm target gun , and like night and day easier cocking less sight picture movement and recoil, hit more targets, just easier to shoot accurately. So the 24 mm while very good will stay on the subs bench , keep trying but can't better the 21 mm . Next up I have a spare 21 set up been experimenting with shortened the stroke till the power drops off, then tune the piston weight and port to suit , see what that's like all good fun 🙄
    Sounds lovely, Nick.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    Hoy stop that .

I keep threatening to do 21.5 cos we cant decide between 21 and 22
    Hee hee hee! And what next? 0.25mm increments? And then go imperial for the retro touch?
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Hee hee hee! And what next? 0.25mm increments? And then go imperial for the retro touch?

Nah .
    It was just about spring room inside the skirt of the 21mm Tony . It meant that the wall thickness of the skirt ended up a bit thin ( weak ) with the spring we were using .
    That extra 0.25mm of wall would make all the difference .