Thread: Safety Glasses.....

Safety Glasses.....

Well I was up on the range the other day and I had a pair of cheap overglasses from a DIY place, Cert to EN166, the usual spare pair theat were in my shooting box. So I was interested to see what they would stop.

I set them up at 5m and clamped them to a piece of cardboard on a metal plate so they would not move when hit to siimulate someone wearing them.

I fired my CP88 at them first, 8 shots and not a mark, well maybe a little smear from the lead. This was a pleasent surprise!

The only other gun that I had on me was my supersport (.22)!

So set them up at five meters and put some sheets of paper underneath to see how many layers it would go through once through the lens. I did not have much hope of it stopping it at all!

BUT to my great suprise, even though it broke the goggles and went through, it only went trough one sheet of paper. Comparing this to an airsoft spring pistol shooting at 0.1J it was about the same distance. So the goggle would have saved your eyes from extreme damage from a direct hit at 5m! I was very impressed at this!

hope you find that interesting,

Cheers,

BH

Will have to keep my eye on you next time i am wearing my glasses just in case you plan on taking this experiment to the next stage.

I remember the glasses i had back when i had a smith 586 that spat more than .177 were claimed to stop a shotgun blast 10 or 12 metres.Just a pity the rest of your face would be hanging off.
    Last edited by mr smith; 03-11-2005 at 12:35 PM.

Born Again Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by BunnyHunter
    hope you find that interesting,
    BH
    I do, and it's saved me from destroying a pair. Thanks

SNAKEBITE is offline Somebody must love me.......
    The British Standards test is to fire a ball bearing at 120 m.p.h. into the glasses. There are two levels of protection available the first level is a bearing at 80m.p.h.

Remember seeing a video on it as part of my apprenticship 18 years ago. Ever since then I have always made sure to wear safety glasses at work AND when doing DIY.

Does anyone wear glasses when shooting?
    I AM NOT RACIST, I HAVE A COLOURED TELLY

I've never bothered - the rabbits round my way are a bit on the dark side but they haven't yet learned to shoot back

SNAKEBITE is offline Somebody must love me.......
    I really meant when plinking! You can never be too careful with Rik o'shea about.
    I AM NOT RACIST, I HAVE A COLOURED TELLY

Quote Originally Posted by mr smith
    Will have to keep my eye on you next time i am wearing my glasses just in case you plan on taking this experiment to the next stage.
    hehe....not. No I don't plan to test it on a human...that would be stupid.

See you up at TAG,

Cheers,

BH

I had tried this out on a couple of safety glasses from work a while back, with 0.177 pellets at 12 ft/lbs, point blank range.

The force of the impact completely demolished the frame, yet while the lens was cracked and dimpled, the pellets failed to penetrate.

Which goes to prove that .22 is the superior calibre!

Hey Buunyhunter tell that to the mob that go to tag on sundays they may try and give you an arguement

lol well... I do still want to be a member for next week! I will stick to asking the bunnies which calibre they prefer, although strangly most of them decline to comment.

Quote Originally Posted by BunnyHunter
    Which goes to prove that .22 is the superior calibre!
    Since penetration is largely the function of velocity, which at 12 ft/lbs lies with 0.177, I think it goes to prove your safety glasses are sh|te