Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Air Arms Camargue tap loader

Air Arms Camargue tap loader

Have a chance to buy a Air Arms Camargue in .177. It just about as new condition. Was with the guy today and put a pellet through it. Everything seems fine. It did seem to have more kick than I’m used to and probably a little more pop than my Prewar rifles. I assume that these have a synthetic piston seal given these are a 1980’s rifle. Anyone know how these hold up with age. I know some synthetic seals can degrade over time to mush? Are they worth collecting they have a amazing bluing and walnut stock.

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    Have a chance to buy a Air Arms Camargue in .177. It just about as new condition. Was with the guy today and put a pellet through it. Everything seems fine. It did seem to have more kick than I’m used to and probably a little more pop than my Prewar rifles. I assume that these have a synthetic piston seal given these are a 1980’s rifle. Anyone know how these hold up with age. I know some synthetic seals can degrade over time to mush? Are they worth collecting they have a amazing bluing and walnut stock.
    ...arnt these oring?
    i mean if it aint been shot for a good while ,and depending on what position its been stored in,then you may get a good few violent shots before it settles in/down.

I would think the AA Camargue is a desirable gun.
    I think the .177 cal is a rare find in the Air arms sidelever range.
    Les..

look no hands is online now Even better looking than a HW35
    I believe they all have O ring piston seals, I know the Firepower range do but not sure about the later upper end versions.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    I believe they all have O ring piston seals, I know the Firepower range do but not sure about the later upper end versions.

Pete
    On the Chambers site, the exploded diagram shows the Khamsin sidelever with a o-ring piston seal.
    The action is the same on all the AA sidelever rifles.
    Les..

I’m sure given its condition doubt anyone has oiled it in years but who knows? Should these have silicone oil for the O ring seals or SAE 30?

Tyrolean stock?

Quote Originally Posted by ptdunk View Post
    Tyrolean stock?
    Yes it is

Guess I should have gone first to the current Air Arms site it has manuals for all guns they have made. Tells oil to use and parts list including O ring. Jenolite Synthetic Oil I assume is silicone oil?

Yes it is
    Lovely, is that your first Tyro stock? If you like them they can be addictive.

My first air rifle was an Air Arms side lever which I no longer have, I’d definitely be tempted by a Carmargue.

I believe they are all named after winds, Carmargue and Mistral in France, Khamsin wind in Africa etc.

Nice find,

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by ptdunk View Post
    I believe they are all named after winds, Carmargue and Mistral in France, Khamsin wind in Africa etc.
    Apart from the ones that weren’t, like the Woodsman, Supra, Hi-Power, Combat, etc. 😉

Back on topic. A lovely rifle, and, I imagine, very rare in the US. Go for it!

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    Apart from the ones that weren’t, like the Woodsman, Supra, Hi-Power, Combat, etc. 😉

Back on topic. A lovely rifle, and, I imagine, very rare in the US. Go for it!
    Indeed... I meant the nicer later ones....
    The only think my old Air Arms Combat had in common with wind was that it was noisy!

harvey_s is online now Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    I wouldn't put silicone oil anywhere near the suggested locations unless you like the sound of galling steel.

Quote Originally Posted by harvey_s View Post
    I wouldn't put silicone oil anywhere near the suggested locations unless you like the sound of galling steel.
    What would you use?

harvey_s is online now Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    What would you use?
    To be honest, I be more likely to grease the pivot points on assembly than oil, only using oil if they seemed dry.
    But for pivot points any decent 40w motor oil or similar would be fine.
    For barrel - I wouldn't, unless putting into long term storage.
    Cocking slot would be lightly greased again.
    Piston & o ring something like Abbey SM50.

HTH