Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Air Arms Camargue tap loader

I did end up buying the rifle, picked it up today. Prettier wood than I remembered from my visit. Not perfect but pretty close. The foam butt plate has started to deteriorate, have seen that on other guns of this era. Don’t know if I try to preserve it or replace it? Anyway here are way too many pictures. Lol This rifle is really out of my norm given I seem to be drawn to prewar now. It is a tap loader so that fits. But this seemed to be a cool piece of Air Arms history, and they are about the best in the business now. I assume this was imported at time by Great Lakes Airguns, only US importer of Air Arms at the time I believe. Beeman had wrapped up everyone else? Don’t know how many came over but I would imagine very few?

My biggest fear is this is my first Tyrolean and it may start more expense quests? Yikes.

https://imgur.com/a/Gmjy1fL
    Last edited by 45flint; 29-03-2021 at 04:51 PM.

Nice find. They are gorgeous rifles. Yours is making me realise I must dig out mine for a play
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)

camarague

Was following this one also. If it had been .22 cal, I would have been involved....still a very nice buy for you.

Quote Originally Posted by woodstock1 View Post
    Was following this one also. If it had been .22 cal, I would have been involved....still a very nice buy for you.
    I was fortunate I was half an hour away from the auctioneer. Could go see it and then pick it up with cash discount and no shipping.

Curious as to the perception of Air Arms as it took on the Webley side levers, tap loaders at the time. The Osprey etc. Were they thought of as better or equal? In the used market today they are certainly more valuable? But this could be that they are now one of the best makers in the world and these were their start?

Not quite the same in looks, but I was shooting my Firepower just the other day. I have the Firepower and BSA Challenger both in .22 as they were my second and first rifles respectively. Fitted with 80s optics, knocking over 40mm FT targets at 20 yards kneeling is challenging; by that I mean knocking them over every time! Although the magazine works, I do tend to take it off and feed it manually. Always fancied a Khamsin when I was 15. I remember having the centrefold from Air Gunner on my bedroom wall; Just before Madonna came along and the air gun wall art was replaced with big posters of Madonna in her (at the time) black mesh top and showing off her bra and pants
    Steyr Challenge HFT - HW97K - BSA Mercury Challenger - Anschutz 9015 One - AA Pro Target - AA Pro Elite - ASI Paratrooper (R) - Walther LP500

Quote Originally Posted by averageplinker View Post
    Nice find. They are gorgeous rifles. Yours is making me realise I must dig out mine for a play
    Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    Curious as to the perception of Air Arms as it took on the Webley side levers, tap loaders at the time. The Osprey etc. Were they thought of as better or equal? In the used market today they are certainly more valuable? But this could be that they are now one of the best makers in the world and these were their start?
    I remember a friend getting a Carmargue when they came out, to say I was jealous would have been an understatement. I don’t think a Webley would have had quite the same impact on me even though the AA rifles traced their heritage directly back to the Sussex Armoury rifles in all their twangy glory.

Where it all began, Sussex Armoury and the Jackal rifles, which eventually became Air Arms:

https://youtu.be/infDtSbQh2A

https://youtu.be/whuBrMCjFps

I still wind my mate up by referring to his FTP900 as a Jackal

Quote Originally Posted by ptdunk View Post
    Where it all began, Sussex Armoury and the Jackal rifles, which eventually became Air Arms:

Fascinating, as he takes apart the Jackel it is basically the same rifle. He talks about the improvements that Air Arms made, I can see them in my rifle. I shot it for the first time today over a Chrony and am getting 9 FPE. Had to order some synthetic oil since that is what AA recommends for the piston. Looked dry I’m sure it probably hasn’t been shot in years. This was the only Airgun in a firearms collection and I’m sure this is typical of what you find in the US a guy with firearms will buy one good Airgun and will hardly ever shoot it. The scope is actually not bad either it’s Busnell but it’s one of the few they actually made for Airguns and has a adjustable objective. Totally period to the rifle and with identical gloss finish which is flawless. To cold to test accuracy but shoots smooth and the two stage trigger breaks like a target rifle. Pretty cool. Not going to shoot it beyond these couple shots till I get some oil.

Fascinating, as he takes apart the Jackel it is basically the same rifle. He talks about the improvements that Air Arms made, I can see them in my rifle. I shot it for the first time today over a Chrony and am getting 9 FPE. Had to order some synthetic oil since that is what AA recommends for the piston. Looked dry I’m sure it probably hasn’t been shot in years. This was the only Airgun in a firearms collection and I’m sure this is typical of what you find in the US a guy with firearms will buy one good Airgun and will hardly ever shoot it. The scope is actually not bad either it’s Busnell but it’s one of the few they actually made for Airguns and has a adjustable objective. Totally period to the rifle and with identical gloss finish which is flawless. To cold to test accuracy but shoots smooth and the two stage trigger breaks like a target rifle. Pretty cool. Not going to shoot it beyond these couple shots till I get some oil.
    How do you find the Tyrolene stock for handling and comfort?.
    I really like them, I have a Camargue and a Hw80 with factory Tyro stock and find them a joy to use.
    Les..

Quote Originally Posted by ptdunk View Post

I really enjoy watching the Air Armoury videos and the Sussex Armoury episode was one of they best. All are well researched and very honest.

Quote Originally Posted by les allam View Post
    How do you find the Tyrolene stock for handling and comfort?.
    I really like them, I have a Camargue and a Hw80 with factory Tyro stock and find them a joy to use.
    Les..
    I haven’t shot at a target yet, so not sure, initially I did find it a little strange to align my eye to the scope? I can see why they say these are meant for standing target shooting? I tend to be a collector first and a shooter second. It’s a gem of a collector piece to me especially here in the US. In a couple days will have a chance to spend some time in the backyard and see what I think of it as a shooter. Almost all my shooting has been with open sights or aperture. Quite a change. Lol
    Last edited by 45flint; 01-04-2021 at 11:39 AM.

I haven’t shot at a target yet, so not sure, initially I did find it a little strange to align my eye to the scope? I can see why they say these are meant for standing target shooting? I tend to be a collector first and a shooter second. It’s a gem of a collector piece to me especially here in the US.
    Yeah it's definitely a very nice rifle
    Enjoy your new gun and well done on a great find.
    Atb
    Les..

The biggest improvement Air Arms made was the trigger? It went from a single stage plastic trigger, per the Utupe, to a two stage adjustable one in brass. Very nice let off. They about totally recreated the Sussex rifle. Looking at AA’s website now you would hardly know they made spring guns? Wonderful to see a company continue to innovate and survive. Pretty humble roots.
    Last edited by 45flint; 01-04-2021 at 11:51 AM.

First time in the backyard shooting at targets. The synthetic chamber oil which arrived yesterday, helped quite a bit, after a few drops following the AA manual the PFE climbed to 10.38. The scope to me was so far off I wonder if he ever used the gun? Got it zeroed after pretty major adjustments. Maybe someone just played with the knobs before the sale? Unfortunately this was a US import and I have a barrel weight not a moderator. A bit of a pop for backyard. Very smooth cocking and shooting. Trigger is as good as any trigger I have, beautiful 2 stage.