Thread: Pellets for 10m air pistol.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by HarrisK View Post
    So unless you have a rock steady stance, a grip like a vice, 20 / 20 vision, 100% concentration, average score 85 plus and a top flight pistol (£1500 to £2500ish) do pellets make a difference? 12 different pellets 12 different POA’s 12 different weights (3.34gr range) 76 shots 96%approx in the 9 ring (including the £2.99/500) Sadly the answer is very likely in most cases no, certainly not in mine.
    Lastly always remember the highest price does not always equal the best quality do not spend “MONEY FOR NOTHING”, find a pellet that suits your pistol not a price, and the most important thing ENJOY your shooting I know I do.
    This. Absolutely.

The most consistent pellets may make 3 or 4% difference to your scores. Having the belief that what you are using is good enough and no doubts in your mind affecting your confidence will make a 10 to 20% difference to your scores. Obviously not scientifically measuring those percentages, but there is zero doubt that the mental aspects of pistol shooting far outweigh the variation in the capability of the equipment.
    And to rephrase my comments up this thread - it is consistency you need. No point having equipment that is 99.9% accurate for only 90% of the time.

there is just one thing that should be done by anyone who wants to get serious accuracy.

firstly have a bunch of pellets to test, if its a non recoiling pistol or gun clamp it at desired distance and shoot groups of 10

then pick the best 1 or 2 and start weighing them to create consistency piles , then clamp pistol or rifle again and use the piles of sorted pellets to shoot more groups ect ,.....pick the weight that's best and there you have the best pellet suited to your specific barrel pistol/rifle/power setup,...you then can test by washing /lubing some and get your results.
    once you narrow the best of what you have it becomes easy to fine tune and extract the very best accuracy out of a pellet.

NOW the rest and most important of all these tests is your own abilities to hold and release that trigger and how stable you can keep that rifle/pistol whilst and after release of the shot from going off ,...this is by far the most important factor in any accuracy shooting and don't think a pellet that is more expensive will be better than another with ought testing its limits as I mention above.

the truth of the matter is , even if you knew a specific pellet was the best in your pistol/riffle , it doesn't mean that you will benefit from it compared to another brand that's lets say tighter in the bore,... as if you slightly jerk to the right for instance that pellet that's tighter and has a slower lock time and takes longer to exit the barrel, may give you tighter groups when shot out of the clamp with your own natural technique

it all can get very technical and when talking about getting the best possible score/accuracy it really depends on how much you want to get involved in the real science behind why some are far superior shooters to others,...

basically iff you follow my advice up top on shooting groups and then splitting into different
    ALL very possible with the knowledge and practice

I personally get on really well with Bisley practice in my 10 meter pistols and have won many gold and silver ware with them. I even used to test my best few pellets out to 40 yards on calm day to really extract information on paper. to some this is pointless but I actually shoot cans out to 45 yards so to me 10meters is just the beginning of the testing, so you can say I have a fair bit of testing knowledge over the years as I am a bit nuts like that, I like to find the limits and enjoy the science behind everything and extracting further accuracy, all logged in books in the loft somewhere when I used to be hardcore into my competition shooting before the kids where born of course when life wasn't so chaotic !

wow that was a waffle! must get some work done!

all the best

Daniel
    Last edited by Dan944; 07-04-2021 at 10:09 AM.
    my 2 in 1 self resetting HFT training/plinking metal targets for sale in brand new items section