Thread: Pellets for 10m air pistol.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Pellets for 10m air pistol.

Hi everyone
    I've recently got into 10m air pistol and would like some advice on pellets.
    Do any of you experienced pistol shooters notice any difference in using the expensive match pellets as opposed to the cheaper 'practice' pellets ?
    or does this only matter at elite level?

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.

Pellets

It matters if you want to do well, the difference in price to a 500 tin of RWS R10 (£8 ish), and a cheapo is the cost of a coffee, nothing.

That's the bonus of shooting air, the top ammo is cheap. If you want to know the bad shot was you, buy the best, if you don't care buy cheapo's and you'll never know!

Have Fun
    Robin
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?

I'm using RWS Hobby pellets in a LP400. Before the lockdown I was shooting a 10 meter average of 93. Going to a match pellet might get me an extra point occasionally but in reality what costs me points is the nut behind the trigger. The critical issues to shooting well, assuming you have a pistol fit for the purpose (big,adjustable sights and reasonable trigger), is get some coaching or study the instructional resources available on the web to learn the basics such as position, grip and trigger control and then practice, practice, practice. Treat every card shot as if it was a match card and have them scored and analysed to identify what you are doing wrong and, just as importantly, doing right.

I shoot a Steyr Evo 10 e, years ago after shooting R10s for a while a did a test with 5 different types of pellet and with the pistol clamped; 10 shots at 10m. Two of the pellet choices made a perfect hole, the others slightly ragged but not bad. Of the two that shot a perfect 10 shot hole one was R10 and the other was the second to cheapest and half the price of R10. I've been shooting those ever since and have won a few county comps and my ave is 560, PB 573, all with 'cheap' pellets.
    Steyr Challenge HFT - HW97K - BSA Mercury Challenger - Anschutz 9015 One - AA Pro Target - AA Pro Elite - ASI Paratrooper (R) - Walther LP500

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Robin's right the difference in price is so small as to not really be of any concern especially if you went and bought a high end pistol to put them through....the difference between a 9 and a 10 is the same whether you're a club shooter or an elite one and you might argue its the less capable shooter that needs all the help they can get!

But if you really are hard up (as opposed to just being tight ) Gecos are the best of the practice pellets IMO.

John,

As the others have said, the difference in price between Hobby & R10 is really not a lot - just use the R10s.

Please have a look at the weight distributions below (these were for one hundred and twenty (120) each of the pellets, individually weighed on a four (4) decimal place lab. balance).

The R10s are clearly far superior, for not a lot of extra monies.

Pellet RSD/% Min/gr. Max/gr. Mean/gr.
    RWS R10 Pistol 0.17 6.96 7.02 6.99
    Geco 0.79 7.07 7.33 7.19
    Hobby 1.07 6.98 7.45 7.11

Have fun & a good Sunday

Best regards

Russ