Thread: 22 Hornet Problem Sizing

22 Hornet Problem Sizing

Hi, Just got a bit of a query and hoping for some advice please. When reloading 22H using RCBS dies, the decapping and sizing die isn’t expanding the case mouth. You can’t even get a case trimmer guide rod in there. I don’t think the mandrel is damaged. Is it because I am using RWS brass, which seems quite thick and it is springing back. It’s possible to seat the bullet - but you can see the case is fractionally wider where the bullet is seated and there is a slight step. Cheers
    "helplessly they stare at his tracks......."

Hornet

Have you only had this problem with that brand of case? or is it the only one you have tried? I'm assuming you have experience at reloading & know how to set up the dies, I would be happy to try a couple of your cases in my dies if you wish to post them & see if that works.
    Elwellaxe.

Are you doing full length resize or neck only?
    I use a Lee neck only on mine and a mix of brass all of which is pre fired through my rifle only, so no brought in second hand stuff.
    Have you put a vernier on your die to see what it comes in at? Did you buy the dies new?
    ,AA , Magtech , Arnie, Sako, Ruger . plus the others .

Quote Originally Posted by Elwellaxe View Post
    Have you only had this problem with that brand of case? or is it the only one you have tried? I'm assuming you have experience at reloading & know how to set up the dies, I would be happy to try a couple of your cases in my dies if you wish to post them & see if that works.
    Elwellaxe.
    Hi Elwellaxe, Thank you for your kind offer. I’m not an expert reloader, but I have loaded in the past. I will try it with some other brass first and see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by B&W FOX View Post
    Are you doing full length resize or neck only?
    I use a Lee neck only on mine and a mix of brass all of which is pre fired through my rifle only, so no brought in second hand stuff.
    Have you put a vernier on your die to see what it comes in at? Did you buy the dies new?
    Hi I’m full length resizing. I can vernier the mandrel, but haven’t got a factory size to compare too. It’s once fired brass but not in my rifle. Need to try some different brass first I suppose. The dies were new, but I did lend them to someone for a while.

I would have thought that if you were using too thick brass the expander would be working harder as the inside would be sized down more at the end of the first stroke. When the expander is pulled out of the case it would be harder to get out of the case.

Thank you for the reply Blackbeard, will try and find a opportunity this week to have another go at it and report back.

Quote Originally Posted by silva View Post
    Hi, Just got a bit of a query and hoping for some advice please. When reloading 22H using RCBS dies, the decapping and sizing die isn’t expanding the case mouth. You can’t even get a case trimmer guide rod in there. I don’t think the mandrel is damaged. Is it because I am using RWS brass, which seems quite thick and it is springing back. It’s possible to seat the bullet - but you can see the case is fractionally wider where the bullet is seated and there is a slight step. Cheers
    You shouldn't have to expand the case mouth if using your old brass

It was the dies in the end. I bought another set of dies and the problem went. The original ones must have been a rogue set.