Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: .577cal Pritchett rifle comes home with me today!

Quote Originally Posted by tacfoley View Post
    As you know, the service Snider was only found in .577 Snider, and used either a conversion from the P53 Enfield service rifle, or, later on, were made as a Snider from the get-go.

I've never heard of a small-bore Snider, and certainly not a Snider with a hooked breech. No Enfields ever had a hooked breech.

So basically, you are saying that you have an Enfield converted to a small-bore Snider? Remember that using the word 'Enfield' you are saying that it was converted from an Enfield, and the only Enfields were .577cal.

Puzzling, to say the least.

So what cartridge does it shoot?

On reading your post I realise that I seem to have suffered some sort of brainfart. I don't know where I conjured up the .455. It is indeed a .577
    The Snider that I have is a Maloch and was mentioned by me in a post here in 2016. I'm please to see mention in this thread of another Maloch from 2013 which I had not seen.
    I did in 2016 receive some very interesting and well researched information on the Maloch name from Enfield2band.
    Last edited by mel h; 04-04-2021 at 11:13 AM.

Good write ups tac, thank you, must get Brett Gibbons book.

Get both of them and watch his Youtube movies - papercartridges - well worth the pleasure!!

Quote Originally Posted by loiner1965 View Post
    tac have you seen those wooden plugs on the auction site , they are tapered and squared ended so might be able to fit in your bullets with enough sticking out to expand
    e@ay number 353367895949
    i got some here somewhere so i try and find them
    Mornin', Sir!!! Just received a couple of hundred tapered base-plugs in the morning mail!!!! Many thanks indeed! What a great-hearted fellow you are, to be sure! I must find a way to repay your kindhoodship somehow.

Mornin', Sir!!! Just received a couple of hundred tapered base-plugs in the morning mail!!!! Many thanks indeed! What a great-hearted fellow you are, to be sure! I must find a way to repay your kindhoodship somehow.
    my pleasure....they might fit in the base of your bullets.....protruding enough to expand the skirt on firing.

HI TAC,
    I have been following this with great interest and green eyes,
    i have a .54 hollow base minie mould, my .54 Hawken is smooth bore, so i do not use this,
    would it work paper patched to get yours shooting or is it to small,
    you may even be able to drill it out to make your flat sided bullet,
    just an idea, let me know,
    yours if you want it,
    regards,
    T

Quote Originally Posted by TALL View Post
    HI TAC, I have been following this with great interest and green eyes, i have a .54 hollow base minie mould, my .54 Hawken is smooth bore, so i do not use this, would it work paper patched to get yours shooting or is it to small, you may even be able to drill it out to make your flat sided bullet, just an idea, let me know, yours if you want it, regards,T
    That's a very kind offer, Tall, but it is sadly waaaay too small - no amount of paper patching would make that up. Thanks again for the kind offer, yet another example of why belonging to a great group like this can demonstrate such offers of help when required.

TAC. Among my varied collection of 'useful things' I have a nice original .577 mould which I'm told makes a Prichett bullet, I wouldn't mind casting a few for you to try if you wish. I do have the measurements somewhere, they're under .577 . The downside is that the only lead I have is old scrap stuff.

This is not a disguised 'selling' post

Quote Originally Posted by mel h View Post

The downside is that the only lead I have is old scrap stuff.
    Almost the only 'pure' lead available nowadays is old scrap lead pipe and roofing lead . It is perfect for making Muzzle loader ammo. Just cut any solder joints out and water that down with pure lead to make smokeless cartridge bullets. Only problem then is guessing the hardness.

Salvaged range lead should be sorted before use and often is only fit for plinking ammo

I'm just curious as I've never used wooden plugs. Didn't they decide that the gas pressure alone was enough to expand the skirt into the rifling? I have access to a longer range to play in now so would like to try my 577 ph musketoon out to 300+ and will experiment.
    [I]DesG
    Domani e troppo tardi

TAC. Among my varied collection of 'useful things' I have a nice original .577 mould which I'm told makes a Prichett bullet, I wouldn't mind casting a few for you to try if you wish. I do have the measurements somewhere, they're under .577 . The downside is that the only lead I have is old scrap stuff.

This is not a disguised 'selling' post
    Mel, 'old scrap stuff' is exactly the right stuff to use. Especially if it is pre-Atomic age - ie, before 1945, as most of it is. My hoard of scrap is from a Victorian shop canopy and, legally-acquired, from a church re-roofing. The old stuff having been relocated by a bunch of itinerant lead re-locators, the parish council took the bold decision to stop funding the care-free/tax-free travelling lifestyle of the thieves by installing this new frawk 'lead' substitute. It is totally useless for anything else other than making into thin sheets of waterproof roofing, as it has a melting point even lower than Cerosafe.

I'd be VERY grateful to see a couple of your bullets - .577" is the nominal size anyhow, as they get paper-patched when making them up into the official Enfield cartridge.

You might even have my address? If not, please PM me when convenient.

Quote Originally Posted by DesG View Post
    I'm just curious as I've never used wooden plugs. Didn't they decide that the gas pressure alone was enough to expand the skirt into the rifling? I have access to a longer range to play in now so would like to try my 577 ph musketoon out to 300+ and will experiment.
    Most folks of my acquaintance, me included, would be loathe to waste precious lead by sending it downrange at 300 yds from a Musketoon. Still, you never know until you try, right? Good luck with that.

Mel, 'old scrap stuff' is exactly the right stuff to use. Especially if it is pre-Atomic age - ie, before 1945, as most of it is. My hoard of scrap is from a Victorian shop canopy and, legally-acquired, from a church re-roofing. The old stuff having been relocated by a bunch of itinerant lead re-locators, the parish council took the bold decision to stop funding the care-free/tax-free travelling lifestyle of the thieves by installing this new frawk 'lead' substitute. It is totally useless for anything else other than making into thin sheets of waterproof roofing, as it has a melting point even lower than Cerosafe.

I'd be VERY grateful to see a couple of your bullets - .577" is the nominal size anyhow, as they get paper-patched when making them up into the official Enfield cartridge.

You might even have my address? If not, please PM me when convenient.
    I'll make a few up for you when I get some time. I've just had a look at some notes I made a while since and they measured up at .565 which seems to be three thou less than the specification size for the Pritchett of this style with the radiused concave base as opposed to the plug base.
    Mel.

Most folks of my acquaintance, me included, would be loathe to waste precious lead by sending it downrange at 300 yds from a Musketoon. Still, you never know until you try, right? Good luck with that.
    I’ve got plenty. The locals in the village all seem to have kept their old lead water pipes and lots of stuff from the coal mines. A lot of that came my way. We also have a very active airgun section in the club which I clean out from time to time. Lovely soft lead in airgun pellets. I’ve had a lot of success with 22rf lead as well. The 50/100 yd is 22 and airgun only and is due deleading soon. Lots of lovely soft lead there!

I think I have a good few hundred 1lb ingots tucked away.
    [I]DesG
    Domani e troppo tardi

I'll make a few up for you when I get some time. I've just had a look at some notes I made a while since and they measured up at .565 which seems to be three thou less than the specification size for the Pritchett of this style with the radiused concave base as opposed to the plug base.
    Mel.
    The radiused base is a correct Pritchett-form design. I look forward greatly to seeing them and trying them out - say, five hundred to start with, eh?

Just joshing.

Ten will be just fine.