Thread: Pedersoli brown Bess Mould

Pedersoli brown Bess Mould

I occasionally take my son's re-enactment Bess down to the range to give it a rest from shooting blanks. Not too often mind as it needs around a 100 grains of powder a shot...

So, I thought I ought to have one too and contemplated building another Track kit but then a Pedersoli came up and I got that a few months back now but have been waiting for the range to open before I shoot it.

Then, I bought a Pedersoli mould 'to go with it' more than anything. Pedersoli suggest .732 ball and 10 thou patch - fair enough, but the mould actually casts pretty near a .75 ball which is a tolerance fit in the muzzle end. Although in theory, you could shoot it with wads, at least once, it does seem to be a recipe for a stuck ball.

I wonder why they made this mould for their musket?

Quote Originally Posted by steve medlock View Post
    I occasionally take my son's re-enactment Bess down to the range to give it a rest from shooting blanks. Not too often mind as it needs around a 100 grains of powder a shot...

So, I thought I ought to have one too and contemplated building another Track kit but then a Pedersoli came up and I got that a few months back now but have been waiting for the range to open before I shoot it.

Then, I bought a Pedersoli mould 'to go with it' more than anything. Pedersoli suggest .732 ball and 10 thou patch - fair enough, but the mould actually casts pretty near a .75 ball which is a tolerance fit in the muzzle end. Although in theory, you could shoot it with wads, at least once, it does seem to be a recipe for a stuck ball.

I wonder why they made this mould for their musket?
    are you casting with soft or hard lead ?

Soft pure lead shrinks a fair bit on cooling. This is usually factered in when the mould is made. If you use hard lead it will not shrink and you end up with oversized balls.
    [I]DesG
    Domani e troppo tardi

I'm using (as near as I can get) pure lead - roofing lead.

I have to say that I've never really noticed that much shrinkage to be honest.

My gut feeling is that they didn't produce a .75 mould on the basis that it would shrink to a usable size when cold - there must be another reason surely?

I might drop them an email...

Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by steve medlock View Post
    I'm using (as near as I can get) pure lead - roofing lead.

I have to say that I've never really noticed that much shrinkage to be honest.

My gut feeling is that they didn't produce a .75 mould on the basis that it would shrink to a usable size when cold - there must be another reason surely?

I might drop them an email...

Steve.
    I phoned a friend of mine who has 3 original Brown Bess muskets. He said the bore is, on originals, supposed to be .750" but can vary slightly, although .750" is the accepted bore for that gun.
    In his guns he uses a .020" denim patch (pure cotton) and he uses a .690" or .700" ball.
    As you suggest, the .750" ball is not right for the Brown Bess. I have not heard of them being used without a patch, but it may be possible.

As for lead shrinkage, I find that it does shrink slightly when the lead is too hot. If balls or bullets are cast just as the lead is fluid and hot enough to flow, the shrinkage is negligible.