Thread: Bismuth/tin for round ball.

Bismuth/tin for round ball.

Hi
    Like most everyone else I have been following the debate about banning lead for ‘projectiles’ (shot or bullets). So far I’ve seen no mention of lead round ball but I have no doubt it will eventually happen, if only as a politically correct way of curbing our sport. I have toyed with the idea of trying bismuth/tin as a substitute ala Rotometals in the US. Has anybody tried it yet and if so is it viable? From research it’s similar in hardness but scarily expensive, surprise surprise.

keith66 is offline Optimisic Pessimist Fella
    Bismuth is not viable because it is a rare metal with very limited production from very few mines. It was used as a neutron absorber in the nuclear industry so one would expect most production to go that way.
    It is also very brittle & frangible & liable to fragment going down the barrel. This was quite common with early non toxic shotgun loads where you fire 3's & dust comes out the end after its been through too tight a choke.

Quote Originally Posted by keith66 View Post
    Bismuth is not viable because it is a rare metal with very limited production from very few mines. It was used as a neutron absorber in the nuclear industry so one would expect most production to go that way.
    It is also very brittle & frangible & liable to fragment going down the barrel. This was quite common with early non toxic shotgun loads where you fire 3's & dust comes out the end after its been through too tight a choke.
    I wouldn't try Bismuth on it's own for the very reason you state but I am pretty sure that Rotometal uses Bismuth, Tin and Antimony by percentages. Some of the reviews on their site are from muzzle-loaders using patched round ball.

Quote Originally Posted by keith66 View Post
    Depleted Bismuth? Now there's a thought! Far safer than nasty old lead.
    [I]DesG
    Domani e troppo tardi

Pure tin is BHN 9, which is almost as hard as typical range scrap. It won't work as well as pure lead for muzzle loaders.