Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: crosman medallist 1300

Quote Originally Posted by --ped-- View Post
    it'll be a late phase 1 as only the early ones had a steel breech (late 79 i believe they started fitting the plastic breech),later tubes will fit but you'll have to notch the pump slot or use a later pump lever
    Hi Ped

I actually started writing an article for the now defunct "Real Airgun Sport" about the various changes to the 1322/1377 during its production and from memory I believe the plastic breech came out in February 1979.

All the best Mick

i'll check serial no's Mick on the phase 1 guns i have to hand but i know i have one with 279xxxxxx

Crosman give the phase 1 revision date as 1980-81 for the fitment of the phase 2 plastic breech and removable barrel but i'm sure i have a nov 79 with the plastic breech
    if you ever get chance to write up your article i'd love to read it Mick

i'll check serial no's Mick on the phase 1 guns i have to hand but i know i have one with 279xxxxxx
    Crosman give the phase 1 revision date as 1980-81 for the fitment of the phase 2 plastic breech and removable barrel but i'm sure i have a nov 79 with the plastic breech
    Hi Ped

The first Crosman I bought was a new 1377 in January 1979 which came with a steel breech and I remember that they changed to a plastic breech the next month --- this pistol cost £20 new complete with shoulder stock and peep sight plate.

I'll have to dig my 13xxs out and have a look at them, I have quite a few ranging from 1978 up to @ 2008, my favourite being a 1322 from 1978 having steel rear sight, steel piston and steel breech.

I'll see if I can find the Crosman article I wrote for Jim, unfortunately after my first RAS article was published the magazine only ran for a couple more months before folding.

Hopefully the Crosman article got transferred onto my new computer off the old one so I'll see if I can find it over the weekend.

All the best Mick

Hi Ped

I've managed to find some of my Crosman pistol stash and I definitely have one with a plastic breech with a serial number from February 1979.

It's very unclear from the 1322/1377 parts manual when the change came :-

image.jpg

I've also managed to find the embryonic article I started writing in 2010 to submit to the "Real Airgun Sport" :-

After being successfully launched on the American market in 1977 the Crosman 1322/1377 multi stroke pneumatic series pistols were finally made available in the UK towards the middle of 1978 as a replacement for the Crosman 1300. The new pistol retained some of the features of the 1300 but used a different valve arrangement which gave a lighter trigger action. The 1300 used a blow open exhaust valve which caused the trigger pull to increase in relation to the number of pumps put into the gun, the new 1322/77 series used a knock open valve enabling the trigger pull to remain constant however many pumps the gun was primed with. After 33 years of constant upgrading and modifications the 1377 is still in production in its Phase three format today.
    Phase one guns (1977 to 1981) are easy to spot as they have a round trigger guard hole in a one piece frame. Early phase one guns had steel pistons, steel rear sights and a steel breech, the steel rear sights were soon dropped in favour of plastic. By January 1979 the steel piston had been changed to plastic, and after January 1979 the breech had also been changed to plastic.
    With the introduction of Phase two guns (1981 to 1998) came the introduction of the familiar two piece trigger frame with oval trigger guard hole which is still used to date. Apart from minor alterations the Phase two guns basically remained unchanged during their production run.
    Phase three guns (1998 to date) when introduced brought with them the change from separate cocking of the hammer via a rear knob to bolt action cocking and loading.
    For anyone trying to find the production date for one of these pistols or in fact any other Crosman product made after 1975 the first three or four characters of the serial number of the gun give the month and year the gun was made.

Most of the components of the various phases are interchangeable except for a couple of components. The phase three barrel has a smaller chamfer at the breach end than the earlier guns. So if you want to put a phase three barrel on a phase one or two then you have to use a phase three barrel and breech (top end) together or you’ll have to open out the phase three chamfer to suit the earlier breech. The same applies if you try to put a phase one or two top end on a phase three, but you also come across the added problem that the phase one and two breech will not cock a phase three.
    The other component that will not swap without machining is the pump tube. Phase three pump tubes will fit all phases but a phase one or two tube will need a slot machining for the cocking pin if used on a phase three. All trigger frames are interchangeable but must be used with their respective grips, the trigger frames from the Crosman 2240/50 can also be swopped onto the 1322/77 series.
    Inside the 1377 as already mentioned there were two different pistons used, made of either steel or plastic. Behind the piston is the valve body these have seen a few variations over the years. Early valve bodies were made of Brass but later ones are being made from Aluminium. There have been three different inlet valve shapes used and three different exhaust valves used over the years all of which are interchangeable. Early guns had a short inlet valve with an Aluminium spacer behind it and the exhaust valve was made in three pieces with the valve seal made of rubber. Later in production the Exhaust valve insert was changed to plastic which has now been superseded by the two piece exhaust valve with a PTFE head. The short inlet valve and Aluminium spacer gave way to the long inlet valve and this setup was then superseded by the short inlet valve which is machined at both ends.
    Now I must point out that none of this is official Crosman info but it’s what I’ve found through striping and rebuilding a few 13XXs over the years.

There was more in the file on maintainance and repair, and notes explaining why the 1322 wasn't available in the UK until six months after the 1377 was on sale here --- Crosman had problems castrating the 1322 to be UK legal, taking six months to sort it.

All the best Mick

And, as folks like pictures I've dug my three favourite 13XXs out for a quick photo shoot.

Crosman Medalist from February 1979 serial number 279037199 c/w plastic piston and breech :-

image.jpg

image.jpg

This is my oldest Crosman 13XX, a Crosman Classic serial number 678047265 bought off this very forum from ggggr, this gun having steel piston, breech and Rearsight :-

image.jpg

image.jpg

Lastly, my favourite old knob cocker, a Crosman Medalist from November 1978 S/N 117819745 :-

image.jpg

image.jpg

I have a few more in my workshop including my first one bought new January 1979, and I have a few MK2s and one brand new MK3.

All the best Mick

cheers Mick for taking the time to dig out your article and showing your 13xx's i'll dig out mine although non were bought new and so i can't tell if they have been altered from original spec

cheers Mick for taking the time to dig out your article and showing your 13xx's i'll dig out mine although non were bought new and so i can't tell if they have been altered from original spec
    It's all down to pure luck that I bought a new Classic in January 79 as that gave me a benchmark to work from, then when the never stripped 1178 and 279 guns showed up it gave me the timeline for the introduction of the plastic piston and breech.

All the best Mick

Crossman 1300 medallist

Hi, although I have tinkered with many spring guns, I have never tried to do a pump up, so, on advice if people on here I contacted Lawrie Amatruda on here who has just returned mine, and it's in fine fettle, I like to keep them original, and if that's your wish, this is recommendations.
    The armourer, with no where near as many guns as I used to have.

Smile

Years ago I had a 1300, It pumped and shot well but by god it was painful!, The narrow pump arm used to nip the skin at the base of my thumb!, It was even worse when it happened then happened again the next day!

I almost launched it over the wall once when I was already in pain and trapped it again!!

There was none of that with the 1377 and 1322 as the pump arm had been widened!!

I had this 1322, Couldn't seem to get it to seal though, I bought an aluminium valve off facey marketplace before it gunsales was banned, That sod leaked too, Ended up swapping it for a Haenel mod1 locally!!

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Did we ever get anywhere with these ?

Quote Originally Posted by xocet View Post
    Hi all, is anyone making/supplying a flat top piston, o ring conversion for a medallist 1300?
    Mine has recently returned to me in a sorry state and i'd like to get it shooting again.
    Many thanks
    Did we ever get anywhere with these ?
    If I was trying to fit a flat top O ringed piston to a 1300 I'd be looking at shortening a custom flat top piston designed to fit a 1322/1377.

Without stripping one of my 1300s I couldn't say for sure how much you'd need to shorten a 1322/1377 piston or if this is even a viable option, but it should be doable.

The other option is to alter the original piston to take an O ring.

All the best Mick

Cheers for the reply Mick, i was hoping to find a part ready to fit really, not having a lot of spare time,

May have to drop in to gunshop and treat myself to a new pistol ( first one for 45 years)

Cheers for the reply Mick, i was hoping to find a part ready to fit really, not having a lot of spare time,

May have to drop in to gunshop and treat myself to a new pistol ( first one for 45 years)
    I actually measured the 1300 and 1322 Pistons this afternoon as I realised that you can do it without stripping the gun, the 1300 piston is 47mm long, and the 1322 is 70mm long.
    So you need to find a flat top 1322 piston that can be shortened by 23mm, I did have some Krusty's Kustoms flat top Pistons I was going to measure for you but they seem to have vanished from my spares box.

What I did find though is that I'd already machined a brass O ring piston head for my 1300. :-

image.jpg

All the best Mick

i make them from time to time more to order really and used to convert original heads but it's as easy to make a new head i still do 13xx ones as well

beach road breakfast