Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mercury or Brum Longbow?

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    Apart from the actual safety catch.
    Where's the safety catch on a Mercury? I have a Mk3 and an S and neither have one

Yes Liked very much the Omega (Vulcan replacement) But i had two (k mod) that butt fkd the forend ,resulting splits each side of the stock.
    Perhaps loose action. But a great field gun for me.
    But the humble Vulcan, simple break barrel , plastic sights etc is still doing a sterling job for me on the farm.

Quote Originally Posted by hookerball View Post
    Yes Liked very much the Omega (Vulcan replacement) But i had two (k mod) that butt fkd the forend ,resulting splits each side of the stock.
    Perhaps loose action. But a great field gun for me.
    But the humble Vulcan, simple break barrel , plastic sights etc is still doing a sterling job for me on the farm.
    Another one for the OP to consider then, although I have just done a search on trader and some of the prices are through the roof

Quote Originally Posted by ken69 View Post
    Where's the safety catch on a Mercury? I have a Mk3 and an S and neither have one
    He was talking about the Vulcan.

The Omega is nice, but a Longbow is nicer.

Omega prices are indeed quite painful these days.

And if you fancy an Omega, you might as well go the whole hog and buy the rifle it is largely modelled on - the FWB Sport.

On a point of detail, the Omega did not replace the Vulcan. It was significantly more expensive and placed above it (and almost any other springer) in the market. It was made 1984-94. The Vulcan soldiered on until 2000, when it was replaced by the Stingray, which is nothing more than a Vulcan with some upgrades and a better (Venom influenced) stock.

The Stingray is a good rifle, as is its bargain version, the Xocet. They both continue the Vulcan’s rather unrefined power plant and trigger, but if you like Vulcans you should like the Stingray and Xocet even more. Often overlooked and therefore still good value (except for the rare Stingray Deluxe, which I think people have cottoned on to as desirable).

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    He was talking about the Vulcan.
    Thanks heavens for that, I've just had my Merc's out of the gun cupboard just to make sure

Quote Originally Posted by ken69 View Post
    Thanks heavens for that, I've just had my Merc's out of the gun cupboard just to make sure

We’ve all been there. I certainly have.

longbow for me

Mercury - You know you want to,

Mmmm….I would echo jjjohn’s thoughts about the praises for a BSA Mercury, after all they look what a real break barrel should look like – absolutely full alpha male, sleek and purposeful.

I have a Webley Omega, a Mk 3 and a Mk 2 Service which is quirky and fun to shoot, all are in excellent condition. Not had a Longbow, maybe I am missing out? But, my break barrel to go for is one of my three Mercury models; Two Mercury S and a Mercury Mk 2, not the HW’s, Original’s, BSF’s nor the FWB 127 Mastersport.

The Mercs are surprisingly accurate, I only shoot open sight. Unfortunately, the walnut stocks on the Mercury S models are nothing to write home about – so plain! The Mk 2 was had at a very reasonable cost as the buffer had disintegrated and nylon piston head had swollen during long term storage, otherwise, it is immaculate. I replaced the buffer and changed the head to an alloy one. It shoots as good as the two S models.

I enjoy the 635 Magnum too, but, the Green Rhinos are virtually nearly all gone – any recommendations for alternative pellets that can be re-sized easily?

All the best…..

Oh no there not

https://i.imgur.com/3YupdNf.jpg

Got some other boxes of .25s called Magnum(look like bullets) if i remember. But cant find em.

Interesting!

Ta for the thoughts.
    Well, now I've got some more options to consider as well.
    Ideally, I'd like both, & a few more...In the end, guess it'll come down to what's around & how much cash I have about. Mercurys do seem more affordable, from what I've seen.

ATB

Bru
    Webley Mk3 x2, Falcon & Junior rifles, HW35x2, AirSporter x2, Gold Star, Meteors x2, Diana 25. SMK B19, Webley Senior, Premier, Hurricane x 2, Tempest, Dan Wesson 8", Crosman 3576, Legends PO8.

Quote Originally Posted by laverdabru View Post
    Ta for the thoughts.
    Well, now I've got some more options to consider as well.
    Ideally, I'd like both, & a few more...In the end, guess it'll come down to what's around & how much cash I have about. Mercurys do seem more affordable, from what I've seen.

ATB

Bru
    May be wrong, but I’d say that Mercs in decent condition are £80-120 for standard ones, about 10-20% more for S models.

More for the Challenger, and all .25”s, esp the MAG Cobra Strike Magnum .25”.

Longbows are £200-250 beech, £275-325 walnut.

Quote Originally Posted by hookerball View Post
    Oh no there not

https://i.imgur.com/3YupdNf.jpg

Got some other boxes of .25s called Magnum(look like bullets) if i remember. But cant find em.
    Hi hookerball,
    I presume your post was about the Green Rhinos being available? I could not view the imgur link. Just a black screen with a Privacy window bottom right corner - suspecting the usual, I clicked on it, selling my soul to the advertising devils, but still no image.....

I had a PM from a member on this forum with a link to a business called mrservices for potential supply. The website direct was unreachable, but, through yell.com I got access. Five reviews only and all negative with warnings not to use.

All the best.....