Thread: Gem .25 cal. breach seal.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Gem .25 cal. breach seal.

Hello as above has anyone got any ideas for a replacement, I saw a picture of a moulded one that seemed ideal but no information on where to get one. Its a early one if that makes any difference, about 1900.
    Thank you very much.
    All the best.
    Geoff.

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    Hi, they would have been made from leather which you could make yourself if you have any old leather. or you could try getting the old one out without doing to much damage and packing it up with a cardboard one. and replace the old one on top. l have done that on some of mine.

Thank you, the problem is that the original seal has gone dry and crumbled mostly away. The shape of the groove looks as if it has been hacked out with a blunt chisel! OK I know its metal but it is all shapes, wether it has been very badly corroded and an attempt made to clean it up?? I dont know. I have a leather belt which is soaking which is hard.
    Cheers.
    Geoff.

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff555 View Post
    Thank you, the problem is that the original seal has gone dry and crumbled mostly away. The shape of the groove looks as if it has been hacked out with a blunt chisel! OK I know its metal but it is all shapes, wether it has been very badly corroded and an attempt made to clean it up?? I dont know. I have a leather belt which is soaking which is hard.
    Cheers.
    Geoff.
    Good luck with that, it shouldn't be to difficult to make one.